PDA

View Full Version : Where to do FAA IR at Major Airport

VORTIME
26th Mar 2004, 18:33
Good Day!

I am looking to do my FAA IR training on my weekends. Ideally, this would involve a flight from Dublin on Friday evenings after work and full time training on Saturday & Sunday. Can anyone recommend a flight training organisation that can cater for this located at an airport with a good air service from Dublin?

I'm not interested in tolerating with the Irish FTOs.

VT

Charlie Zulu
26th Mar 2004, 18:55
Hi VORTIME,

Do you mean you're looking to do your FAA IR over in the USA on weekends or in the UK?

There are a few places in the UK but tons of places in the USA... if the USA then you'd be better off getting it all done in one go. It took me three weeks from start to finish.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

VORTIME
26th Mar 2004, 20:19
Hi Charlie Zulu,

Flying to the US on Friday evenings would be a tad tiring!

Anywhere within 2-3 hours of Ireland....

VT

Charlie Zulu
27th Mar 2004, 05:37
Hi VORTIME,

I thought it would be the UK or similar, flying off to the States every weekend would be a little tiring and expensive, but I thought I'd check first! :O

As QuiteEasilyDone suggests there is a place at Norwich "International" Airport that runs FAA courses and is also a written test centre.

However looking at Ryanair website they don't fly to Norwich at all and after further investigation on the Norwich Airport website (http://www.norwichairport.co.uk/) there aren't any flight links to Dublin, you'd probably have to route to London Stansted or via Amsterdam.

I know people who have used the Norwich school and have been very pleased with them. I was going to post the website address but can't find it - it'll be in the back of Pilot. The school is run by Tom Hughston.

There is also another place at Enstone but not sure of the website address sorry.

Hi QuiteEasilyDone,

I did my FAA IR at Naples Air Centre in Florida last July. When I passed the flight test the examiner pursuaded me to go for the FAA CPL so booked me in for the checkride four days later... I passed that as well (together with studying for the written exam).

Although I had quite a few IMC hours logged here in the UK I decided to go along the Part 141 route (I had all the Part 61 requirements such as cross country time though). I took around 45 hours including the test to pass the IR (first time pass).

Yes I would most thoroughly recommend NAC for the IR. If you'd like more info then let me know either on here or pm.

Best of luck to the both of you.

Okay I'd better go now as I've got to drive to the exhibition at Heathrow in an hour or so time.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

EL SID
28th Mar 2004, 05:26
Vortime - check your PM box for solution to your FAA IR by coming into Stansted on weekends.