PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use "1 & 1" E-Mail Service?

BLUE SKY THINKER
26th Mar 2004, 18:19
Signed up with "One & One" last week ("voted the best web host in the UK"!) having seen a number of recommendations on this forum. .....The object of the exercise was to set up a domain name Outlook Express account, in preparation for a possible ISP move from AOL, whose e-mail program I have been using for the last three years (with no problem).

As part of this process - and not being very familiar with O.Ex. - I have done some intensive e-mail exchanges between my AOL and 1&1 O.Ex. accounts over the last three days. .....I have to say I am absolutely appalled at the amount of mail that has gone missing outbound from 1&1, combined with server errors. .....My settings are OK, because some is getting through.

Spoke to a very unconvincing gentleman just now on customer support (but at least he was in the UK!): "lots of problems last couple of weeks; virus on the server". .....Well that instilled some 'new customer confidence'. ....."Trouble is, all these people sending e-mail with no anti-virus on their computer" .....What!? .....Presumably a common problem; doesn't seem to have affected AOL. ....."Ah; they've all got it" .....I gave up at this point.

Is this the 'norm.'? .....Anyone else experienced any problems with this lot; although I suppose you might not know your mail is going adrift?

BST.

Diverse
26th Mar 2004, 19:52
I've been using them for the past 2 years and never had a problem, though it did seem to work a lot happier using OE6 than other mail clients like thunderbird. Using Netscape 7's mail program it constantly kept asking for my password and failing to log on. They were sods when I tried to cancel a domain they were hosting. They denied all knowledge of receiving my cancellation notification. I faxed it to them in the end.

I would imagine a virus on the mail server would make life interesting but I'm surprised they can blame the users. If that's the case then email servers should never be working. Poor excuse I think.

BLUE SKY THINKER
27th Mar 2004, 17:58
Tests little better today, Saturday.

BST.

Land After
27th Mar 2004, 22:24
I've used them for over 3 years and (to date) haven't had any problems, though I haven't been tracking every mail.

I did have a run in with them a year or so ago about a domain issue, their attitude was "if you don't like it, leave". Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone else who could host my extended families email addresses as cheaply. (Any ideas?)

Though, now I've had broadband bedded in for a few months, I'm willing to take lessons on setting up my iMac to handle the mail.....

I guess it's the internet equivalent of flying Ryanair ;)

Parapunter
30th Mar 2004, 08:01
I've just signed up for a 2nd year of web & domain hosting with them. The Website has never had a problem, but email. Jeez!:rolleyes:

I suffered intermittent error messages for the life of the account, messages unable to be sent etc. I noticed that this was mostly in the afternoons & despite several complaints & much very careful checking of my accounts set up, 1&1 weren't very helpful. In the end, I insisted they fix the prob & they did - turned out that my ISP reset my port to 25 from 587 & once we fixed that all was hunky dory. Like getting blood out of a proverbial though.:{

BLUE SKY THINKER
30th Mar 2004, 18:23
BLIMEY!!! Parapunter, I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!!

I have spent hours and hours....................................................... AND HOURS on this, trying to get it to work this week; I have almost flung my laptop out of the window.

Despite numerous phone calls, e-mails, etc., never once has anyone at '1&1' mentioned Port 587. .....I read your post, adjust my settings and my email's are flying in and out like lightning for the first time.

They mentioned problems with Freeserve, but once you indicate you are not with them, it's down all sorts of other avenues; "we don't support Outlook Express", "try Outlook; far better program", "problems with the server" etc., etc. ..... It transpires AOL (my ISP) blocks Port 25, on checking with them tonight (and presumably others).

Anyway, 'Thanks' (a million). .....A great result for this Forum.

BLUE SKY THINKER
31st Mar 2004, 16:51
Despite all my enthusiasm last night (above) - borne out of frustration - although things have greatly improved, batch testing today (6, 10, 12 at a time) has resulted each time in at least one not being received at the other end; sometimes up to three. This despite Outlook Express reporting successful sending.

How is one to have any confidence in this? Abandon domain name and revert to ISP's mail maybe. ...???

Green Bottle 2
5th Apr 2004, 19:54
BST,

I have used 1&1 for the last 2 years and have had no problems at all.

Hope you get it sussed.

GB2