PDA

View Full Version : South African Training and the pros and cons

birdlady
26th Mar 2004, 13:11
Hi everyone

I have to start by saying that the training here is brillant as long as you choose the right school. Unfortunately I didnt, and I have paid very dearly. The reason why I choose the school is because they offered the JAA licence and they were the only ones who did. I have to say the standard of training was brillant but the financial side was a shambles. I won't mention any names, but management made some big boo boos and the school went bust only last week. A lot of the students have lost money (someone ran off with the money) and now can you believe it the CAA has allowed them to reopen somewhere else. under another name. Tell me there is not something funny going on in the CAA. I am absoulutely spitting - we all are. Are there any people out there who have had similar problems let me know. The CAA is supposed to make sure everything is kosher and maintain safety etc in this industry and this is the antics they get up to. Gosh, you have got to love africa.

406pilot
26th Mar 2004, 17:18
hiya birdlady,

i agree with u on that the training offered in south africa is the best but be a bit considerate to all the aspiring pilots world over and shout out loud who the culprits r??maybe that will stop another hard earned penny being wasted on the so called jaa approved school...

no more a 406pilot(but nothin else yet)

PretoriaSillyperson
26th Mar 2004, 20:54
OK. I'm going to put my head above the parapet here because I don't think the above post is genuine - in fact, I think it's bogus.

Here's why:

1. The spelling and grammar isn't from someone in Europe - it's from a South African:

"the training here is brillant", et cetera

"paid very dearly"

2. The message goes straight into JAR - there was only one SA school offering JAR licenses to Euro bods and I nearly fell for it myself in 2000. So why mention the one school we all know about already?

"The reason why I choose the school is because they offered the JAA licence and they were the only ones who did."

3. - "I have to say the standard of training was brillant but the financial side was a shambles. I won't mention any names, but management made some big boo boos and the school went bust only last week."

OK - so why are you still in SA? Further, why not, "My school" and (and I'm presuming you're on a PPL) then how do you know about the "management"?

4. "and now can you believe it" - this is a totally Saffer phrase - nowhere else in the world do people say - or write - "and now can you believe it" - boet

5. "the CAA has allowed them to reopen somewhere else. under another name. Tell me there is not something funny going on in the CAA. I am absoulutely spitting - we all are."

Ja ja - hey - if you're a foreign student PPL then you would put this down to experience and be out of there. You wouldn't hang around picking up Sith Ifrican phrases.

6. "Are there any people out there who have had similar problems let me know."

Again - your sentence is pure SA.

So, what are you looking for? Nasty words about FS in ZA? Gossip?

If I'm out of order then Rhodie, De Sousa et al will put me straight but you're post just doesn't make sense to me.

Rant over.

btw - JAnnie at Blue Chip at FAWB will sort you out - and this isn't an advert!

PSP
London

...and i'm sorry if the above is a RED post - it's because I'm bloody annoyed and i'm right! I spent two bloody awful years in SA but i got a wife and a PPL out of it and the flying - people, training, safety etc - was excellent. When I rtu'd to the UK I flew out of S.end and B. Hill with no problems at all. BUT I don't have no JAR.

PS. Need to wait on the wife license - I think there's a NOTAM out on her.

PSP

birdlady
27th Mar 2004, 11:05
Hi pretoria

I have to start by saying that it was not my intention to insult people. All I was trying to do was to try and help people not to make the same mistake as me. I think the training in SA is excellent - the best actually - I just had a nasty experience. I thought that freedom of speech was our god given right here but obviously you are from the old school (and I think you know what I mean). I am actually Irish and the reason why I am not on the next plane home is because I love South Africa - this is my home - I just don't agree with the corruption that goes on here and if people dont speak up and stand up its going to carry on. They were closed down and students money has dissapeared. I have just spoken to the person who ran the old school, and they are moving into new offices in Rand under the same name. What I meant to ask was if anyone has had bad experiences before - ANYWHERE - not just sa. :cool: :cool: :cool:

PretoriaSillyperson
27th Mar 2004, 12:19
OK. Well, I think my post was too harsh so thanks for your restrained reply. I'll IM you now to make sure we're talking about the same place.

PSP

PPRuNe Towers
27th Mar 2004, 12:51
Birdlady,

Please feel free to name the school, the managers and the location where you believe them to have set up in business again. Could it be possible that it is some of the instructors who have started a new school?

While we appreciate your concerns for legalities we are far more experienced than you in this field. We are more than happy for you to pass the details of your experience for the benefit of other students.

Regards from PPRuNe
Rob Lloyd

George Tower
27th Mar 2004, 15:51
I think the only con with training in SA is that from a British perspective the Rand isn't the poor performing currency it was. In 2001/2 it was in the region of R16-18/£ and now it is about R12/£ so that means costs have gone up by about 25-30%.

If it is purely money that talks the US has to be the place to go now with the very weak US$, but getting a visa to go and train there seems to be a ball-ache.

SA is still a lot cheaper than hour-building in the UK, better wx, and compared to the US is very much more standard ICAO RT, where as in the US they're in their own world - seems most pilots over there are called Roger:ugh:

Flying Boat
27th Mar 2004, 16:17
The name is on this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123522

I am sorry for the new victims but it is a pity they did not read the other threads concerning this school.

The alleged arrested partner could sell sand to an Arab, but not deliver.

I enjoyed my time in SA & agree the limited instruction I received was good, but the corrupt image given to foreigners by this school did not help SA much.

I'd love to know how accurate the VAT account was, I had large doubts when I was there.

I do miss a pint or four of Castle Lager & a few packs of Billtong.

Good luck to all & try not to get too frot this evening.

FB

birdlady
28th Mar 2004, 12:45
Hi guys!!

Thanks for the support. I will name the school and shout it from the rooftops!!!! as long as I dont get in trouble. Global Flight Training or Flight Training college of Africa. They were operating out of Grand Central and now are operating under Global Flight Training in Rand (same owners). I am actually going there tomorrow to collect my licence so I will keep you posted about whats going on. I don't want anyone to make the same mistake I did so make sure you do your research before hand. If any one wants to ask about good flying schools here in Sa they are more than welcome to contact me.

Flying Boat I know there accounts had major discrepencies but if you are owed money there is no chance. They owe the students over R2 000 000. Are we talking about Guy being arrested here? And i do enjoy a couple of castle's and biltong myself. Did get a bit frot last night. :\ :\ :\ :\

Pretoria, its ok. I can understand why you think all us South Africans are "Rhodies" and want to trash the place.

Thanks again guys
:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

PretoriaSillyperson
28th Mar 2004, 14:00
Birdlady - thank you for your IM. I was quite vrot myself the other night - and it was on Castles, although a slab of 24 is c. R360 here. The hazards of drunken typing and to a lady of all people!

From back in 2000 when I decided to choose SA for my PPL there have been loads of forums (fora?) on here for just this. However, as you are aware (!) - the situation is fluid, especially with the JAR / ICAO compexity and the ZAR / GBP changes (why IS the Rand strengthening? I think it can only be because the imminent election is a forgone counclusion and this is seen as a sign of stabilty. Aarghhh!)

So, we're both well placed to advise on good schools in SA and there are certainly a few outstanding ones.

Yours aye,

PSP

PS - I miss SA more than any country I've lived in - it just get's to you like no other place. Unfortuntaly (for reasons already mentioned elsewhere) it's not the place for my family just now.

Spot ya in the long grass. PSP

Cardinal Puff
29th Mar 2004, 14:10
Howzit PSP

Haven't seen ya around for a bit and now I know why. How'd the vrou enjoy West Africa? Speak to ya around W/Boom some time soon I hope. Regards to vrou and snotgobbler.....

KP

pugzi
29th Mar 2004, 14:32
I was a student and instructor at FTC for about 2/3 years. I was there in 96 - 99. When I was a student I loved the place, really loved the place. I made great friends and had an incredible time. 2chefs, o'hagans, 7tease etc where the places we went to back then. Of course we drank too much, partied too hard and made a few silly mistakes, but all in all, the time of my life.
I loved it so much I want to spend out my days there, so i became an instructor and gave my all to the school and my teaching, usually being the first instructor in at 6 to start flying and working all saturday lecturing. Things got a bit messy and I was accussed of fraternising (I'm sorry I can't spell) which I was innnocent of, in fact I was dating a South African girl at the time. The following night a student drove me home and crashed my car into a wall with me in it because I was too drunk to drive. Anyway, I was dismissed. It was amusing that 1 week later I attended a solo party and bought a bottle of red wine for my x boss sincce he had his toungue have way down a students throat. I was promptly lamped by him and was out cold on the floor. Russel Langley you don't half have a right hook. It was witnessed by many students and their parents and since I now had the ball in my court I got a great reference and my departure was more gracefull.
But many of my students were very very upset with the management for financial reasons and the British agent (i forget him name) for promising so many things they couldn't deliver.
FTC had a lot going for it, the instructors were first class, shame the management just couldn't manage people or their emplyees.
Mind you, I'd have ended up a drunk if i'd stayed any longer, so maybe it was all for the better.
I look back fondly and sometime wish i was still there.
Stefan and Robbie, you guys were good pals.

Flying Boat
13th Apr 2004, 22:02
I checked the latest UK CAA list of JAR approved Training Establishments.

Not one is in South Africa.

FTC & GFT (Global Flight Training) are not there, did the UK CAA listen?

This does not mean they have not conned a European state into coughing up approval.

Now is the time for some good schools to try, CFA (Midrand) or 43.
I understand they are good, not personnal experience, however, CFA were always helpful towards FTC overseas students.

Good Luck to all the ex FTC instructors and desk staff.

FB:ok:

sam6
19th Apr 2004, 04:56
birdlady
so which school would you recomend to go to