View Full Version : USAF better than the RAF?

mattbeaton
26th Mar 2004, 09:48
Iv'e been looking it up and I was wondering whether it would be practical or not to join the USAF instead of the RAF.

I know you probably have to have lived in the USA for a while, but it might be worth it. From what I gather, they are one of the only armed forces actually upsizing!

There's also the fact that if you do go to war then you're the one who's going to shoot down your allies, not the other way around. Though I suppose there is still the risk of patriot batteries...

I may not like George Bush, but I sure as hell want Tony Blair to copy his position on defence spending!

Has anyone actually flown an american aircraft here? My uncle in America says that they are very particular about that sort of thing.

Regie Mental
26th Mar 2004, 10:26
Using such phrases as 'upsizing' I reckon you're half way there already!

:cool:

Huron Topp
26th Mar 2004, 14:12
Unless you're a US citizen, forget about it.

Bubbette
26th Mar 2004, 14:19
Are you sure about that citizenship thing? I know in the Army there are tons of non-citizens, some of whom have gained their citizenship after/during the war in Iraq.

Huron Topp
26th Mar 2004, 15:25
Officers must be citizens.

MobiusTrip
27th Mar 2004, 02:36
Matt,

PM in your box.

MT

Gingerbread Man
28th Mar 2004, 19:05
Matt,
Are you talking about commissioned entry into the USAF or enlisted? If its officer you're after then you must be a US citizen. However, you can be enlisted and after 3 yrs (i think :confused: ) or after involvement in a conflict, which ever is sooner, be elligible for commission.
It seems pretty risky though, when considering that after going to a lot of trouble to be a citizen, you may fall at the first hurdle of aptitude or something else. I certainly wouldn't think about it just because I thought it was 'better' than being in the RAF. Bear in mind that changing your nationality is a very serious business. In your case you will have to be prepared without hesitation to fight for that country, so it requires a huge amount of thought. Best of luck if you go for it though ;) .

Cheers. Ginge :p .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes."

RAFYankee
29th Mar 2004, 19:37
Matt,

There are several US/RAF exchange jobs (as I can attest). I'm sure you could get in touch with one of them to get information on working with the USAF from a RAF point-of-view. The above posts are correct, however, you must be a citizen to be an officer. You can be a naturalized citizen, however.

USAF/RAF Exchange Dude
RAF Lyneham

Mooney12
30th Mar 2004, 18:16
You have to be a born citizen, or a citizen for 10 straight years, or 3 yrs non-commission service or a conflict.

Basically

RAF = best training
USAF = best kit

DPWN
31st Mar 2004, 09:56
I was working in Balad with a USAF airman from Leeds, still had his northern swang. One of his parents was from the US so that explains that.

I would say that the USAF are more anal :ooh: and i wouldn't look forward to wearing the new uniforn they're going to get. Being in Iraq and not being able to drink (offically anyway) sucks too.
Luckily i'm English and a civvie so i ge to drink myself stupid every night. Not much else to do of an evening in Baghdad. Oh and the septic girls love the accent!:ok:

tug3
31st Mar 2004, 10:28
Officer = US Citizen

Others = US Citizen or "Registered Alien"

"Registered Alien" can Apply (Not guaranteed) for US Citizenship after residence >5 years.

Unless you have immediate blood relative of US Citizen or "Registered Alien" status forget obtaining "Registered Alien" status yourself. Only alternative is to marry a Yank (God forbid!!)

Rgds
T3

maninblack
31st Mar 2004, 11:17
Tug3, nothing wrong with marrying a Yank.

Edited to say that Wifeinblack ordered me to say that.

Huron Topp
31st Mar 2004, 18:39
Must second MIB's comment...or go without for a looooong time.

tug3
31st Mar 2004, 21:59
Tongue very much in cheek - no offence meant! (Almost did the deed myself, but she wouldn't have me - can't think why???)

Rgds
T3