View Full Version : qf recruiting in asia

andyman_82
26th Mar 2004, 08:58
A source told me that QF recruiters were in Asia recruit for CC in the last few weeks. Is this true? I didn't believe it but then I was told to be able to have a base o/s you need to have local crew employed.

Is this true?

desemirates
26th Mar 2004, 12:48
why would they need an overseas base? i thought they had their crews laying over. maybe they need asian language crews onboard their flights. after all, all of their european flights are via either bangkok, kuala lumpur or singapore.

overhere
26th Mar 2004, 22:28
QF use to have a number of (local) based crew in BKK, I'm pretty sure it was through Adecco, maybe this is still the case?

Left2primary
27th Mar 2004, 02:23
Desemirates,

Qf employ through Adecco a pool of Bangkok based flight attendants.
It does so for NO other reason than it can pay them much less than Australian based crew.
Absolutely nothing to do with their Thai language skills.

L2P

saloon
27th Mar 2004, 03:57
But Left2primary,

what about all those NZ based crew with a deep 'cultural appreciation' for the radically different culture they have over there? We all know that the NZ based crew's ability to flatten their vowels is far more important to QF than lower costs. Ha!

vitamin B
27th Mar 2004, 04:14
Left2Primary

It wasn't for their English language skills either that the Thai staff were employed on QF flights.

Many a time on asking what type of red wine was being offered to the punters, the usual answer was "Red, Sir" delivered with a dead pan face. Perhaps additional funds could be input into their in flight training?

Vitamin B

Cart_tart
27th Mar 2004, 05:27
or maybe the additional funds should go to employing AUSTRALIANS! There's a whole list of us waiting to go!!

Left2primary
27th Mar 2004, 07:17
Vitamin B,

good point.

At the end of a particular sector that comes to mind the Techies called the upper deck galley asking the Thai F/A to put four VBs on ice.They said yes.

Next thing anyone knew the Thai F/A walked through the upper deck cabin in full view of the pax who had just finished breakfast carrying the four VBs onto the flight deck.

More than one Captain has insisted that no Thai F/A's operate on the upper deck because of perceived communication problems.
They generally lose that argument.

Only 15 Thai FA's applied for the newly created B First position so Thais on the upper deck are now a rare occurance.

Cultural and language problems seem to have sorted themselves out now that the base is several years old. The problem ones have either left or not had there contracts renewed.

I enjoy working with them and chuckled the other day when one of them asked me to "chuck" her some styrenes {plastic cups}

They are smart, honest, thoughtful, very hard working and dont whinge.
However they can never be found during medical emergencies.

L2P

Cart Tart and others on the wait list,

Hang in there.

I'm not the only one who thinks that full time positions are just around the corner.:ok: