PDA

View Full Version : Is This A Problem

MightyGem
26th Mar 2004, 03:23
For reasons that I won't bore you with, music played on my CD-ROM only comes out of the headphone socket on the front of the drive, and not out of the speaker socket on the back of the computer. Is it going to create any problems if I wire both sockets up to the same pair of speakers?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th Mar 2004, 04:45
MightyGem,

Why not we just solve the problem of why your sound card is not getting the sound from your CD Player. We should be able to solve that problem but I would like some details on your computer's hardware, Operating System and what software you use to listen to music.

Take Care,

Richard

MightyGem
26th Mar 2004, 06:01
I have a RISCOS computer. Normally there would be a lead from the CD-ROM to the motherboard. However, this particular model doesn't have the socket on the motherboard.

Saab Dastard
26th Mar 2004, 08:12
MightyGem,

It sounds from what you have said that you have a mobo with integrated sound and external speaker / mic sockets, but no means of coupling the internal CD-ROM output to the sound card.

If that truly is the case (very strange in this day and age), I don't see a problem with plugging external speakers into the headphone socket in the CD - I've certainly done this for test purposes.

I've not seen anything like a "splitter" socket to allow both headphones and speakers to be connected at the same time to the external CD output, although I can't see why anything catastrophic should happen. Just seems very messy with lots of wires trailing around the front of the PC under the CD tray

Have you considered buying a PCI sound card? It seems like a cleaner solution to me.

SD

goates
26th Mar 2004, 14:20
Many new systems can move the audio over the IDE connection, so you don't need a lead from the CD drive to the motherboard or sound card. This works under WIndowsXP and Linux I believe. Maybe there's setting not right somewhere.

goates

ORAC
26th Mar 2004, 16:43
Yellowstone Audio Mixer (http://www.yellowstone.co.uk/acorn/products/products.htm) - £29. :}

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Mar 2004, 02:07
MightyGem,

It would be nice if you actually gave us details on the computer and at the very minimum which Operating System you are running. In the old days when everyone has Win95 or Win98, you needed to have the Analog Audio Cable going from the CD-ROM to the Sound Card in order for audio to be played. With WinXP the audio goes though the IDE Cable, as mentioned above.

But if you do not give us any details, we cannot solve the problem for you. All we can tell you is your computer is not functioning properly.

Take Care,

Richard

The Nr Fairy
27th Mar 2004, 06:45
MightyGem mentioned he has a RISCOS computer - does he mean these people (http://www.riscos.com/), perchance ?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Mar 2004, 15:49
The Nr Fairy,

That is a new one to me. Never heard of it. I thought MightyGem was mentioning the name of the computer maker and not the OS.

MightyGem,

Is this the CD Player you are trying to use?

http://select.riscos.com/Changelog/Screenshots/cdplayer.gif

Take Care,

Richard

MightyGem
27th Mar 2004, 15:53
A coconut to Nr Fairy. My computer doesn't run on Windoze, so it
NEVER crashes and can't get infected by viruses. However the one I
have is a bit old(hence the sound problem), and I can't afford a new
one at the moment.

Anyway, back to the question. The computer puts out computer
generated sound through the normal socket on the back of the machine.
It also puts out music from the socket on the front of the CD drive.
All I want to know is if I connect both sockets to the speakers at
the same time, will there be a problem. It doesn't matter about the
type or the OS, it's a simple technical electronics question, so
please stop trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. :ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Mar 2004, 17:24
MightyGem,

Try using a Y-Adapter. Then you can see if it is affected without splicing your Speaker Cables.

Sorry for the confusion. :(

Take Care,

Richard