PDA

View Full Version : Headphones

25th Mar 2004, 20:55
I'm looking for a pair of headphones/earphones, with a noise cancelling facility, that are suitable for plugging in to an aircraft IFE system. Any recommendations/suggestions, bearing in mind, I don't want to spend £250 for a pair of Bose quietcomfort.

Do airlines generally allow private headphones to be plugged in to their systems?.

redsnail
25th Mar 2004, 23:53
I used a pair of Sony noise cancelling (should be noise reducing) head sets. Available on BA flights (they were) and in Dixon's. I think you should expect to pay ~£60-£100. They cut down the wind noise quite well and made the IFE easier to hear and understand. I liked them. They use a AAA battery and it lasted quite happily LHR-SYD-LHR no dramas.
Not as flash as the Bose but they did the job.

cossack
26th Mar 2004, 02:58
You can't beat the Bose QCs. Makes a long haul in economy much more bearable. No problem plugging them in as they come with different adaptors and the airlines don't mind. I believe BA many years ago used them in First.

I wouldn't call the QCs flash reddo!! Stylish, maybe. Flash, no ;)

If you want real cheap that work none too bad, try Koss "The Plug" earbuds. Replace the foam bits that came with the buds with earplugs bought at a music store or DIY place, insert hot wire through middle to make the hole and you've got a pretty good pair of very discrete noise-reducers for about £20 all in. You'll need an adapter for some of the airline 2 prong sockets though.

PAXboy
26th Mar 2004, 23:49
I have used a pair of Sony NC phones for four years. They cost about GBP95 and are brilliant. I have used them often on trains as well. I also use them as regular phones on a MD walkman without the NC function active.

The NC function uses a single AAA battery and last for a very long time, I only have to replace the battery once or twice a year. They fold up into their travel bag.

Any airline allows you to plug in your own phones. The Sony unit came with an adaptor for the two prong fittings used by some carriers, although I have only had to use this on LH.

OFBSLF
29th Mar 2004, 16:06
Another vote for the Bose. They're great. I use them at the office too.

10forcash
1st Apr 2004, 17:43
Bose E2c's are the dogs bits, they come with foam thingys and block (not cancel) out the noise on a herc (not the vibration though), 60 quid online, best thing i ever bought, apart from an iPod.
Cheers,
10forcash

Final 3 Greens
2nd Apr 2004, 06:52
I have a set of Panasonic RP-HC50 (in ear) noise reducers, which cost £35, complete with airline adaptor.

No so effective as the more expensive sets, but great value, very small (the reason I chose them) and also a marked improvement on passive sets.