PDA

View Full Version : Problems with PPRuNe Mail (aka proonmail)

brockenspectre
25th Mar 2004, 19:24
For ages now I receive a lot of spam in my proonmail account - so I delete it. I then get a notification in my AOL account 12/24hrs later that I have mail so head to proonmail again to find the previously deleted spam mails resurrected. I get daily notifications that I have proonmail but only visit twice a week now because it usually only means that the previous week of spam has been resurrected. The trick is merely to highlight the first mail for deletion, click delete and "voila" all the previously deleted mails disappear again.... until the next time.

As there was talk of a new proon server I chose not to post anything as I assumed the "resurrection" of old mail was server-related. Unfortunately, it is happening just as much now with the new servers as it did before...

Can anyone help/advise please on how to delete once and for all?

fobotcso
26th Mar 2004, 08:08
This probably needs someone from the PPRuNe engine room to help as it does seem odd.

But one of the reasons I have never taken up the PPRuNe mail system bigtime is just because I could not view the e-mails directly on-line when I'm on the road (with a 9,600bps connection!).

I did not want to have to log onto PPRuNe to see the e-mails. I wanted to manage them from a site such as:

mail2web (http://www.mail2web.com/cgi-bin/login.asp?lid=0&il=0)

On that site you can view and delete e-mails just like Hotmail - only simpler.

But to do that you have to know the address of the mail server(s). And they were not forthcoming when the mail facility was introduced. Something to do with revenue I suppose....

brockenspectre
26th Mar 2004, 21:36
fobotsco your instinct is probably correct but when I first joined proon I put my AOL email addy in to my profile and within hours was receiving sufficient spam to set up my own company. As I wanted to leave open the option for folks from proon to contact me should they need to I decided to set up my proon-mail account. Quite a few prooners know me now, in person (through bashes etc) and a handful have my real email address. However, I like to keep the proon-mail one to (a) isolate spam derived from the site and (b) continue to permit folks to contact me should they want/need to do so.

:ok:

What I really hate is the constantly resurrecting deleted spam and I know, once those in PPRuNe Towers reads this post, there will be feedback on what is going on.

:D

brockenspectre
27th Mar 2004, 16:41
I do wish someone from the Towers would let me know that they have seen this post! Just now I logged on to AOL to receive a "you have proonmail" message. I logged in and could see 33 unread messages... when I opened in Inbox these represented spam-mails received since last Tuesday... I had already deleted all of these (up to cob Friday) at least once!!! ::shaking head:: because there is now so much more spam in proonmail than there used to be this is really annoying! This time, too, I had to click on each one to delete it....again...

Please someone from Da Management, can you tell me what is happening and... fellow prooners... do you have the same problem?

:ok:

Rollingthunder
27th Mar 2004, 19:07
Yes, I have the same problem.

Don't use it a primary email account so go in once a week or so and clean it out. Easy to work out how the spammers got the addresses though - Username@ etc

BRL
27th Mar 2004, 19:33
Hi Brock, long time no see, hope all is well other than your e-mail problem. I have the same problem with mine too, I think it is down to your e-mail address being obvious as mentioned above.

An e-mail 'bot will "harvest" address in many ways and the clever programmer will make the bot invent names from any e-mail domain such as the pprune one.

I bet there are loads of easy names for the bot to make up in the pprune e-mail domain, most people make it easy for these things to catch your address by simply using their name or pprune name.

[email protected] will never get any junk mail unless the user posted on a newsgroup or similar, [email protected] will within I suspect hours of starting up, attract thousands per week as that is an easy one for them to get. Hope this makes sense..!!!!

FWIW, I know the admin guys have been a tad busy lately, possibly that is why they have not been able to reply here.

Take it easy,
Paul.

brockenspectre
28th Mar 2004, 11:04
hiya BRL yeah.. ltns - you well? Thanks for the reply - it is not the volume of the spam I object to (which is why I have sacrificed my proonmail account to my profile!) but the resurrection of mail that has been deleted at least once before! :ok: I realise Da Management is busy so will be patient! :)

BRL
28th Mar 2004, 19:34
Oh poo, sorry brock, I hate doing that, not getting the point of things..... :O :O

Danny
28th Mar 2004, 20:14
Sorry for the delay in getting back but I've only just read this post.

PPRuNe Mail has nothing to do with the new server or anything else with PPRuNe except the name. There are nearly 19,000 @pilot.pprune.com email addresses in use. A few seem to have problems but the majority just get on with things or else are incative.

The Spilot.pprune.com email service is handled by a company called Everyone.Net and all we are doing is letting them set up email addresses using a subdomain of pprune.com. Unfortunately, pprune.com was attacked by spammers a long time a go and a few people seem to still have problems with it.

As the email service is handled by Everyone.Net I have no control over it and cannot do anything except reserve, create or delete email accounts.

I suggest that if you are having a problem with the service you either contact Everyone.Net or better still, tell me the account name, I can delete it and you can create a new email address for use in your profile.

If you do create a new email address using the @pilot.pprune.com facilty then you shouldn't receive any spam unless the address is used in some other service and that has been attacked. Of course, if your email address is in someone elses address book and they have been infected with a virus then it is only a matter of time before you get hit again. At the moment there is a surge in spam and virus email dong the rounds. I get at least 50 - 100 a day in my own email. Using a POP account I can log intot he account before I download email and delete everything that looks like spam or a virus. It is fairly easy to see these days.

PPRuNe Mail was set up for people to use if they wanted to. There are no guarantees and Everyone.Net make their money by offering upgraded email accounts with Spam detection etc. I think the upgraded accounts are also POP accounts and therefore accessible using other meial services such as Mail2Web or your own email client.

Hope that helps.

brockenspectre
29th Mar 2004, 19:30
Hi Danny thanks so much for responding personally. I appreciate that proonmail is a "freebie" and a bonus and also appreciate that spammers appear to be playing merry hell with all email accounts, irrespective of ISP. My query really is regarding the constant resurrection of previously deleted mails - mails several days old which have been deleted already but which reappear, such that, for example, mails I deleted on Tuesday last week are now appearing again.... its like a never-ending deletion saga! I will contact Everyone.net and see if they can help!

Thanks again :ok:

Bad-Man
30th Mar 2004, 09:49
Hi Danny

You wrote: Everyone.Net make their money by offering upgraded email accounts with Spam detection etc.

Seems to me that Everyone.net has a reason to be very happy for all the f...ing spam, - it might provide them with more customers.

brgds B.