PDA

View Full Version : John van der Berg

25th Mar 2004, 14:25
I've just heard that John van der Berg passed away last night. Besides teaching me to fly many years ago at the East Rand Flying Club, I also owe him much for kick-starting my career and teaching me so much as an FO on the F-27.

I'm a better pilot, a better father and a better person for having known you John. Rest in peace my friend, I'll never forget you and my thoughts are with your family.

gofor
26th Mar 2004, 05:39
RIP Oom John

John also did my ppl and cpl tests as well as trained me at Springs on EXO & FWR and later MDZ, moreover how to be, as he put it - ' a true scholer and a gentleman'.

For someone who changed careers from pharmacutical to flying (proving it was never too late to begin a flying career) he certainly impacted the SA flying scene with much gusto and heaps of respect - a great mentor and inspirator

A sad day for anyone in SA aviation.

Condolances to family and friends- our thoughts and prayers are with you.

unablereqnavperf
26th Mar 2004, 10:24
Indeed a sad day for aviation !

RIP OoM John!

Having know John for all 25 years of my career I've been on the recieving end of his often firey temper but more often his nurturing and supporting side, John taught me many valuable lessons. I remember just before my IR test john told me his philosophy was to ask him self two questions
1 Will i be happy if this guy shares my airspace?

2 Would i let my wife and kids fly with this pilot?

If the answer to both of those was yes you passed! I still use this method today checking and training for a major european carrier!

Farewell John hope I get you for my flight test in the next life!

USE THE RUDDERS
26th Mar 2004, 13:21
RIP John

John did my CPL test in 2001.

Condolances to family and friends

Glassos
26th Mar 2004, 14:53
RIP John!

I flew with John on the Dak and F27 at Comair in the early 80's. He was truly a scolar and a gentleman.

ou Trek dronkie
30th Mar 2004, 05:06
Rest in Peace John

oTd

Fluffy flyer
11th Apr 2004, 15:31
John may you Rest In Peace........

I was very saddened to read this news.

I did my very first flying lesson with John on the 11 November 1984 at the East Rand Flying Club on ZS-EXO.

John also did my commertial and ALTP flight tests, and many of my instrument renewals.

I now fly in Europe as a captain on the 737-800 and I owe it all to this remarkable man, who taught me to fly.

My thoughts and prayers are with John's family at this sad time.

Phillip, Stansted, England/ Ex Benoni, South Africa.