PDA

View Full Version : Qantas seeks range

Wirraway
25th Mar 2004, 14:24
Fri "The Australian"

Qantas seeks range
By Geoffrey Thomas
March 26, 2004

QANTAS is examining the world's longest range aircraft - the A340-500 - for opening new non-stop routes such as Sydney-Dallas and Perth-London.

An Airbus Industrie spokesman would not confirm the presentations, saying it was the manufacturer's policy not to confirm details of sales campaigns.

The four-engine A340-500 has essentially an identical cockpit and systems to the twin-engine A330 in service with Qantas, thereby minimising introduction costs.

Rolls-Royce is understood to be offering an attractive maintenance package to offset the costs of introducing a new engine to Qantas - the Trent 500. The A340-500 can carry 313 passengers 8650 nautical miles, which would enable Qantas to operate non-stop services from Sydney to Dallas, the headquarters of its alliance partner American Airlines.

From the west coast of Australia the A340-500 would be able to reach London non-stop from Perth and enable Qantas to counter the increased competition from Emirates, which is expected to increase its services from seven a week to 10 in October. Emirates will introduce the A340-500 to Melbourne from June 1, offering non-stop flights to Dubai, and will also increase services to that city to 10 a week by August.

Last year, Richard Branson looked at operating from London to Perth non-stop using two A340-500s that had been deferred by Air Canada as a result of financial difficulties.

Virgin Atlantic was concerned about the size of the business class market for the service, although it was buoyed by the fact that Western Australia is home to Australia's second largest English-born population.

Boeing is also pitching its 777-200LR to Qantas.

The latest variant of the Boeing jet will fly early next year and promises an even greater range/payload capability than the A340-500.

============================================

Geoffrey Thomas have you taken over Steve Creedy's job
at "The Australian" ?

Wirraway

============================================

TIMMEEEE
25th Mar 2004, 20:39
Might this have something to do with the fact that QF cannot source any B747-400's in order to satisfy the extra slots purchased into Heathrow?

To quote the CEO of Cathay Pacific a few years back, "We've never really made money using the A340".
Who knows?
Maybe its that particular aircraft model or maybe the route but in my opinion Qantas needs another aircraft type like a hole in the head.

Feather #3
25th Mar 2004, 23:51
Timmee,

Would you change your mind if the A330's were traded on A340-500/600's?

CX have only just introduced the large A340's; their comments would be about the earlier -200/300 which suit some purposes.

As to Long Range expansion in the short-term, the next couple of months will sort things out.

G'day ;)

GalleyHag
26th Mar 2004, 01:26
TIMEEEE

Just out of interest what do you suggest QF does if they cant get any 747-400's what other options are available to them?

Buster Hyman
26th Mar 2004, 02:41
I don't think it's ever been a secret that QF want long range equipment. They were, almost, a solitary voice pushing for range over speed on the Sonic Cruiser carnival.

The similarities with the A330 & A340(NG) family would probably not warrant the "additional type" argument, as much as the introduction of the 777 would. That has been something I'm critical of QF over, as I've seen what it did to AN.

So, would I rather fly MEL-DXB stop LHR or MEL stop PER-LHR? Personally, I'd be curious about DXB & the shops there (as it's been years). But, Mum, Dad & the kids, who rarely fly, would they rather stopover in Oz as opposed to somewhere totally "foreign" to them? I think QF should go for it.

proplever
26th Mar 2004, 19:50
A PROPOSAL.

How about we get the Impulse pilots to fly these new A340's (when they turn up!) for exactly half the money they currently are going to get for flying the A320.

That should keep them happy.

Gotta keep those pay and conditions going downhill!

commander adama
26th Mar 2004, 20:47
Prop

Once again. You disaply what you are. A friggin moron. Let it rest, get over it. Crying on a public forum aint gonna help.
Now where's that razor blade?

proplever
26th Mar 2004, 20:56
You have no sense of humour, adama. Not surprising, given what you are paid. You can't afford humour on that salary!

Besides, all your money is used up on your spell checker....!

commander adama
26th Mar 2004, 23:17
Hey Propy

I don't need to buy one. This is for everyone who can not spell.

http://www.spellcheck.net/

Great sense of humour Propy. Where can I get one from. Do they find that out in the psych test.

Sunsetbird
28th Mar 2004, 03:38
Come on guys give it a rest!! i still agree with propy here but adama give it a rest!! :hmm: