PDA

View Full Version : Oz CPL to JAR for a jump job

franksnbeans
25th Mar 2004, 01:10
gday all,

I'm travellign overseas soon, and was interested to know what the chances are of getting a jump job around August in the south of England.....

I'm an oz CPL 220TT multi NVFR, can get a few hrs up in a 182 (about 7 or so) before I arrive. Also like to know what I need to do re converting oz CPL to JAR CPL...

I hold a british passport too.

cheers in advance

fnb

redsnail
25th Mar 2004, 11:09
Have a look at the CAA's website, in particular, look up LASORS in flight crew licensing.
Very few if any theory providers do the CPL syllabus, most just go straight on and do the ATPL.
An Oz CPL "conversion" to a JAR one isn't easy or cheap. I believe the PPL is a cifferent story.

yyzdub
25th Mar 2004, 16:24
Franks and Beans... great screen name!

Anyway, I was in the same situation as yourself, having held a New Zealand CPL MEIR and am currently doing the conversion now to JAA conversion. Here's what I have learnt about the process thus far.

As was said... I think you'd be fairly hard pressed to find a training organisation that will do the CPL theory and conversion as most, if not all, air carriers, charters, etc. require the JAA ATPL theory credits before employment, additional to an MCC course - makes sense though.

1) Complete 14 ATPL theory courses through an approved school - distance learning is what I have chosen through an organisation in Ireland that uses the Bristol Ground School. You will find, however, that the CPL theory from OZ/NZ is of a high standard and a lot of the work will be review.

2) Complete an additional 15 hrs of IR time at a minimum.

3) CPL skills test of which I am told you will probably need about 10hrs to get yourself aquainted with the CPL skills test criteria, etc. NZ/OZ focuses more on handling whereas the JAA focuses more on practical nav, etc during the test.

4) MCC course.

The length of time is generally proportional to how fast you work and your pace. A ballpark would be anywhere from 5-12 months.

Hope that helps. It's a long road but I think it's all worth it in the end. Good luck to you!

Cheers.

yyzdub

Luke SkyToddler
25th Mar 2004, 18:45
Mate I think you'll find meatbombing is a bit different here to what it is in Oz as well ... i.e. it's mostly done by PPLs on a voluntary basis for free here. In fact I don't know anyone who actually gets "paid" for jump flying.

The ICAO to JAR conversion is an incredibly painful and expensive process, you will probably take the best part of a year and spend as much again as you did to get the licence in the first place, before you're licenced to fly in Europe. There are plenty of posts outlining what's involved already, do a username search for my esteemed colleague Redsnail and you'll find plenty of gen she's posted.

With all due respect, if you are thinking like I once did, that you're gonna pitch up here with a fresh CPL and get amongst the Boeing time because you've heard it's easy to get jet jobs in pommie land, then think again.

It's a crazy country this, there are 200 hour greenhorns flying Boeings and there are also plenty of 2- and 3- thousand hour instructors tearing their hair out because they can't even get a look in at their first turboprop job. There's no rationality to it whatsoever.

franksnbeans
25th Mar 2004, 22:02
Hey guys,

Thanks for the info so far.

Luke Sky toddler, without reference to your name, I know I have to crawl before I can walk... Bah haha hahaha haha hahaha /sigh/.....

anyway.. I was thinking of doing only meat bombing for the time being, and from what I've heard about oz, I won't be earning any money here either! So maybe a PPL is all that I'll need - might make it a little easier!

dubby, cheers for the info dude, sounds like a very long road! Good luck!

I'll check out the CAA website, thanks redsnail..

rgds,

fnb

dickon
27th Mar 2004, 08:23
Franksnbeans,

I was also in the same situation but with an FAA licence.

I started the ground school for the conversion to JAA ATPL.

It was as the other guy said going to take about a year of sitting behind a desk and then just 20 hrs of flying by which time you have forgotten how to fly.

It is the most rediculous situation ever.

The JAA are more intersted in the fact that you can build and repair a 747 in flight with a toothpick, they are not interested on whether you can fly or not at all.

Also the conversion of a year of desk work and 20 hrs of flying and that is only if you pass everything first time was going to cost more than my complete FAA CPL SEL MEL including 270 hrs of flying.

AND to top it of at the end you won't get a job.

Whats it like in OZ? I'd love to go over there and do some air work. Is there anything going and what is the conversion like. I heard just law exam and cpl flight test is that correct?

Good luck!

Krzysztof Mojsiewicz
27th Mar 2004, 09:59
Excuse, what is oz CPL? Confusing is me. Also I hear from this freezing ATPL often. Which is this and why I getting alternative an prefered JAR ATPL? Thankyou, sirs.

Krzysztof.

Global Pilot
27th Mar 2004, 12:48
Oz = Australia.

Great country, great flying, great chicks and great beer.

Beats the hell out of sitting round all day looking at TAFs and METARs round these parts.

Without changing the line of this thread, I really enjoyed my time flying in Oz and long to get back sometime again soon.

Good luck with conversion m8!

Sorry Krystoff,

A frozen ATPL is a CPL with ATPL knowledge. The licence is unfrozen and granted only after 1500 total time of which 500 is in multi crew JAR25 aircraft.

franksnbeans
27th Mar 2004, 22:06
heya dickon,

The flying down here is great as Global Pilot said, no question. The weather is pretty good most of the time. And the girls are top notch too haha. I believe the conversion is basically that - an airlaw exam and the appropriate flight test.

Thanks to everyone for there help, but I don't think I will be able to afford it in the end!! I think just to convert my oz CPL to JAR PPL, i have to do a flight test and sit the human factors and airlaw exams, as well as the UK flight radio exam, which seems fair enough, but I don't think it will work out anyway!

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS.PDF is the link

fnb

dickon
28th Mar 2004, 09:28
Thanks Franks,

If I were to go to Oz do what do you reckon the chances are of landing any kind of flying job? ANY KIND!!!

I have a load of mates in East and West and would love to try it but unfortunately don't have the capitol to just go for it on the pot luck scheme. :rolleyes:

Do you have any contacts where I could try sending a CV?

I have CPL/MEL/SEL, Ifr and 285TT

Cheers Mate!

About the JAA, believe me, Europe is heavily against GA and try and make it too expensive to do anything, maybe they'll come around but it's not gonna happen in the near future I don't think!:confused: