View Full Version : RAF Benevolent Fund - Home Closure

Lowkey
24th Mar 2004, 22:55
Ladies & Gents,

I feel I should bring to your notice the plight of the residents of 'Alastrean' House in Tarland that is at the moment being run by the RAFBF.

In September of last year it was announced that after a careful review of the finances of the RAFBF that the care home was to be closed. The press release can be found at

http://www.raf-benfund.org.uk/press/pr-ahouse.htm

These things happen, I agree, but the release was not made very public. I was certainly not aware of it until last week and so since then have done a little investigative journalism. I have a contact in the area who has passed on these following statements from the local area and residents.

"Spirits are very low in the house, the news of the closure knocked the stuffing out of everyone"

"The decision makers are all based in London.........need I say more!"

"Even the residents who are currently there will not be allowed to see out their lives at Alastrean as they had been led to believe they would!" :mad:

It is this last comment that has really got my goat!! It is heartbreaking and extremely frustrating as there is nothing positive that you can say to a person who has already given up their home, sold or disposed of most of their belongings and is now faced with packing their kit bags and moving on again. Some will have to start over from scratch, buying all the things one needs to live in sheltered housing. This is daunting at the best of times but in your 80's and with failing mobility and health......!

The home is part of the MacRobert Trust. XV Sqn should be aware as this is the name of one of their aircraft. This link will show the family history behind their support for the RAF.
http://www.themacroberttrust.org.uk/

Those of us left in the RAF need to make our voices heard. If the house is to shut then it will shut. BUT!! Let us at least try and make it possible for the existing residents to remain in the house. I know that there are enough staff and volunteers and the option should be pushed hard.

Any ideas on what can be done? More importantly, if you feel like doing something write to the RAFBF or a letter of support to Alastrean House. The RAFBF should be there for the residents and should represents our desires for our former serviceman and women. Currently I do not believe they are!!!

Sorry to rant but lets do something. Money should sometimes be irrelevant. :ok:

Lowkey
25th Mar 2004, 19:23
:confused: I take it that no replies means that everyone feels the above is okay. I hope that we are all looked after the same way in our old age!!!!!

Red Line Entry
26th Mar 2004, 12:31
I empathise with your sentiments. Lowkey. However, it's a hard fact that money is never irrelevant and without evidence to the contrary, I think we have to trust that the RAFBF Board are making the best decision that is possible.

In the press release, Sir David Cousins says "... the level of subsidy is disproportionate compared with other nursing homes and is unsustainable because it impinges on the amount we can spend on other welfare needs. By concentrating our care for the elderly in public or privately run homes, we will be able to spend more on members of the RAF Family..."

Bottom line - by closing Alastrean they can care for more people. Not good, but maybe necessary.

Lowkey
26th Mar 2004, 14:20
I agree if it is going to shut then there is nothing that can be done.

How about letting it stay open though for the residents that are already there. Having been there it would be possible to slowly downsize!!

propulike
28th Mar 2004, 12:38
Lowkey,

It's wrong to think that no-one cares. However remember that you're posting on a forum where the subscribers have known nothing but cuts for 20 years. If the money isn't available, I'm afraid we're all browbeaten enough to not even want to hear the artificial spin of how services will be 'enhanced' and performance 'improved' by reducing numbers, assets and funding.

That said, I'll be writing to Alastrean House. Although I don't think it'll do any good in keeping the place open, at least it will let the residents know that they're not forgotten.

Good luck with your campaign,

P-U-L

The Swinging Monkey
7th Apr 2004, 07:40
Lowkey,

Forgive my late intervention on this thread, but I was most shocked to read of your sad plight.

I must tell you that IMHO it boils down to utter incompetance on the part of the RAFBF.

Sir David Cousins says "... the level of subsidy is disproportionate compared with other nursing homes and is unsustainable because it impinges on the amount we can spend on other welfare needs. By concentrating our care for the elderly in public or privately run homes, we will be able to spend more on members of the RAF Family..." what a fine 'political statement - well done Sir David (not)

That may well be factually correct, but so what? Is that the way to run a nursing home, on financial 'cheapness?' surely, if it's such a major issue, the sensible approach would be to look at ways of improving 'efficiency' and/or implementing cost-saving measures?

Closing the home down is not the correct way, and is yet another display of the 'caring/sharing' attitude of todays RAFBF.

Sadly, the Ben fund has become nothing short of an opportunity for a few very senior officers to get a job in later life, coupled with a few 'gongs' It no longer has the 'customer' at it's pinnacle, but a bunch of incompetants, whose sole aim in life is ££££££££££££££££ take a look at RIAT airshow - I rest my case.

Lowkey, I am greatly saddened and ashamed by the treatment you and your fellow servicemenand women have/are receiving. Take heart dear friend that we are NOT all like that, and I personally will be lobbying my MP and anyone else I can find to vent my splean on about the closure.

Kind regards
The Swinging Monkey

If there is anything you think I can do, please PM me