PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP written test question !!!

Pete37NG
24th Mar 2004, 20:05
Dear collegues,

I am just preparing for the FAA written test using the Gleim book and software. Now, here's my question: under chapter 10 "IFR flights" there are some flight planing questions regarding C208 and B1900 aircraft's. Is that also for the Part 121 test or is that 135 stuff ???
Any other information about the written test and flight test is highly appreciated!!

Thanks a lot & Happy flying !

Peter

Kenny
25th Mar 2004, 16:06
Peter,

You can choose when you take the FAA ATP exam whether its going to be on Part 135 (Air Taxi/Charter) or 121 (scheduled Airline) Regs.

If I remember rightly, 135 flight planning was for the B1900 and the 121 was on the 737/727.

The 135 regs are more akin to the standard 91 regs wheras the 121 regs get more detailed and specific.

Whichever one you choose to do, there'll be absolutely no indication on you certificate about whether you did 135 or 121 q's.

Pete37NG
25th Mar 2004, 17:34
Kenny,

thanks a lot for your reply! I wanted to take the 121, interesting to know that you don't see the different later on the certificate.

regards from Germany,

Peter

The Greaser
25th Mar 2004, 20:27
Dont know where you did the written Kenny, but my written report clearly has it stated that I took the Part 135 exam.

Regards

Charlie Zulu
25th Mar 2004, 20:39
Hi The Greaser,

But that is the written report that one gets from any FAA computer exam. It details your score and any subject areas that you weren't proficient in so that your instructor can ensure you're up to speed with the subject matter before your checkride.

Tell me if I'm wrong here but don't you hand the written report to the designated examiner when you take your ATP checkride like all other FAA checkrides (I've only taken two, the CPL and IR and had to hand my written report in both times)?

Now when you obtain your credit card style ATP Certificate from the FAA in Oklahoma, it will *not*, as I understand it, detail whether you have taken the FAA ATP 135 regulation written test or its 121 counterpart.

This is from what I understand as I've not yet started the FAA ATP studies (doing the JAA ATPLs first).

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

minus273
26th Mar 2004, 08:44
Looking at my FAA ATPL it does not state which exams I took just that I am an ATPL.

Pete37NG
26th Mar 2004, 10:10
Thank you guys,

so what would you recommend? Taking the 121 part or 135 (which is obviously easier or less detailed??) test, if you cannot see the difference later on???

Have a nice weekend,

Peter

Charlie Zulu
26th Mar 2004, 10:25
Peter has a good point above.

If one cannot see, by looking at the certificate, which ATP Written Test you have passed then which exam would you choose to go for and more importantly *why*?

I am going to have this discussion with the instructors at the school I'm going to in America in June, but in the mean time I would like canvas some opinions here.

Actually I do not have a clue as to the difference in "difficulty" between the two ATP exams as I haven't looked at the question bank and/or study material yet (doing JAA ATPLs and FAA CFI/FOI exams at the moment).

If you can work in both the charter and airline market by just taking either exam then why have different exams? Why don't they (FAA) combine the two parts 135 and 121 questions into one big exam?

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

minus273
26th Mar 2004, 17:41
I would say from when I looked at doing the exams that the 135 was easier just from the fact that Regs were closer to the 91 and the W&B and Perf questions were closer to what you had been used to.

Need4Speed23
28th Mar 2004, 09:13
CharlieZulu -

You are correct, the FAA still takes the writtens away at the checkride, and your license does not reflect which test you did.

Minus 273 -

I agree with you on the fact that the 135 test the regs are a lot similar to Part 91. Hence easier to work out, plus you only have to deal with the Beach 1900.

Pete -

If you look in the front few pages of the Gleim book, it explains which chapters to leave out if you are doing it Part 135 or 121.

The only reason the FAA has 2 slightly differnt papers as most people in the US only do there ATPL after working for an operator for a while. As you do not need to be an ATPL to be a First Officer, even in a 737. Thus, if a pilot getting ready to upgrade in a 121 operation would prefer the 121 test and similarly a 135 pilot.

Regards
Speed