PDA

View Full Version : Reading Glasses

Pirate
24th Mar 2004, 14:37
I've reached that age where I need reading glasses for the charts and the overhead panel. Some time ago, a colleague showed me a clever pair of specs, clear in the middle but with magnifying segments top and bottom. I've been trying to find somewhere that sells them, but with no success. Does anyone out there know if they're still on the market?

confundemus

Bad medicine
24th Mar 2004, 20:45
Pirate,

Your optometrist should be able to manufacture a pair of spectacles like this. Go prepared with the distances you need to read. Especially the distances to the overhead panel, charts, panel, etc.

Cheers,

BM

Sensible
24th Mar 2004, 23:59
The worst thing about glasses is getting used to them, personally, I wear half glasses and look over them for distance , through them for normal reading and then use an index finger to lift them up for high level work. But then my eyes are OK for distance. I find it annoying having to look through clear glass which isn'tclear glass after I have touched them or gone from cold to hot and suffered condensation problems. Even happens when I step out of an air conditioned car or room when the humidity is high!

I've well passed that age where I need reading glasses for the charts and the overhead panel. :\

Loose rivets
25th Mar 2004, 08:05
Having heard that the pukker ones were going to cost over 300 quid, I got a pair of ready readers, cost a fiver. They had big plastic lenses, and I Dremmeled out a slot for looking ahead. they worked fine, but I did notice my crew's sniffled laughter from time to time.

It was years before I needed readers on my licence, "custom, on the first day of every" was something that just came out automatically as the slider reached my nose. Good...excellent, the AME would say as he took the blurred object away.

Pirate
25th Mar 2004, 21:34
Many thanks for the responses and commiserations to fellow sufferers. I think I'll probably stick with my Superdrug half-moons and push up for the panel, as suggested.

The horror of adjusting to glasses after 50 odd years without has given me real sympathy for those who have always had to have corrected eyesight. I didn't realise how lucky I was.

confundemus

PS Isn't this a nice forum? Nobody is being rude or vulgar.

Bad medicine
28th Mar 2004, 20:19
Loose Rivets,

Looks like it's time we changed the near vision test. Surely someone hasn't started memorising it yet. It must have only been in service for 50 years! :)

Cheers,

BM