PDA

View Full Version : Unsolicited connection.

maggioneato
24th Mar 2004, 12:18
Have got round to installing a firewall again, I did have one, but it caused so much hassle, I got rid. I have never seem so much activity as there is, constantly flashing symbol, alerting to a new attempt to connect to various ports. I gather the secret is in the setting up of the firewall, but allowing access or not seems to be all numbers which don't mean anything to me. Before I get rid again, anyone with a simple idiot proof way of setting it up please. The instructions don't mean much to me. Think maybe I'm a lost cause.

Bre901
24th Mar 2004, 12:37
maggioneato

It would help if you indicated what firewall software you're using.

Nevertheless, there is NO REASON why you should allow ANY incoming connexion except if you are in the file sharing or internet gaming stuff.

maggioneato
24th Mar 2004, 13:09
Bre901, sorry should have mentioned that, McAfee personal firewall plus, not in to file sharing or gaming just mainly prooning.
Think I will have to get a friend round to sort it out, or it will end up getting uninstalled again.

Bre901
24th Mar 2004, 14:03
maggioneato

I'm not familiar with the McAfee one, but I guess there must be a way to decrease the alert level. No need to get a warning when some Kazaa nerd scans your PC, but these events should be logged to a file, just in case there is something more serious.
not in to file sharing or gaming
This means ALL ports should be closed to incoming traffic.

I'll leave it to the experts here to tell you where to look.

If you uninstall the software, those guys will still attempt to connect to your PC, but you won't be able to see them and prevent them from doing so, bit like breaking the thermometer when you have fever.

maggioneato
24th Mar 2004, 15:06
Thanks Bre901, non of the boxes are ticked on the system services to allow access. If I spend some time, I might be able to figure it out without uninstalling. In the meantime, seeing I don't know what I'm doing, I've set it all to default.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Mar 2004, 17:06
maggioneato,

If you find setting up Firewall Software a hassle, may I recommend a Hardware Firewall. If you are using a Broadband Connection to the Internet, then a Broadband Router would solve your problem and no software hassles. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

maggioneato
24th Mar 2004, 19:50
Richard, I find everything to do with computers a hassle. Have only had broadband about 4 weeks, so don't know how I would get on with getting a router seeing my modem came as part of the deal. Can't say I even know what one looks like. Will certainly ask around friends to see what a router entails. In the meantime I will continue the fight with the firewall. I disabled it earlier so I could browse in peace, it's now back on and being a pain again. :rolleyes:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Mar 2004, 20:39
maggioneato,

Broadband Routers are a lot easier to configure than Software Firewalls.

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/33-127-002-08.JPG

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/33-127-002-09.JPG

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/33-127-002-10.JPG

Take Care,

Richard

Bre901
24th Mar 2004, 21:06
maggioneato,

the router is especially interesting if you want to connect more than one PC to the internet. Otherwise, it will do exactly what your modem does, plus firewall, that's all.

Did you take a look at the McAfee Personal Firewall Plus user's guide (http://uk.mcafee.com/common/en-gb/redirects/mpfp/userguide.asp) ? Doesn't look too complicated (but maybe I'm too much of a geek :8 )

BRL
24th Mar 2004, 22:37
Hi Maggi'. Have you tried ZoneAlarm?. It is free and stops everything. Once configured, it just sits next to the clock in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. Maybe that is what you are looking for and you can upgrade to the pro version too.

maggioneato
25th Mar 2004, 07:09
Don't know what I would do without all the help on here. I have reams of instructions for the firewall that don't look like what is showing on my PC. Will look in to the various options, often wonder if all this stuff, spyware, adware, etc that I install, makes the situation worse. Wish I was more of a geek. Thanks guys much appreciated. :ok:

BRL
25th Mar 2004, 11:08
There is a web-site which can indicate how secure your pc is on the net. You go there to do the test and they show you the results. It is free too, but I cannot remember what the exact addresss is offhand. Maybe someone will link to it here..........

timmcat
25th Mar 2004, 12:45
Tis here.. (https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2)

goates
25th Mar 2004, 14:09
maggioneato,

You may want to look into Zone Alarm as BRL suggested. Except for seeting up games I found it very easy to deal with. And it didn't take long to learn what programs I use. After that it does just sit next to the clock and look pretty.

Hardware routers are often just as easy as plugging the modem into the modem port and the computer into one of the other ports and plugging in the power. They are not quite as secure as a good software firewall, but if you are having trouble with the software it would be much better then nothing at all.

goates

maggioneato
26th Mar 2004, 07:17
Zone alarm does seem more user friendly, really think I can cope with it in time. It is stopping me logging on here and other places due to a cookie problem, but think I can sort that out. Yes I did disable it again cos it would'nt let me on here. Have got all day to mess about with it, so hopefully by tonight it will all be working properly or gone, and I will be out shopping for a router.

maggioneato
27th Mar 2004, 11:31
Just to conclude in case anyone else is having the same problem. Zone alarm is now working just as I hoped, without intrusion, and without me having to disable it, can access where I like, no hassle, thanks again folks.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Mar 2004, 16:52
maggioneato,

That is great news! :ok:

Take Care,

Richard