PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol

Maxflyer
24th Mar 2004, 09:33
I have just used an over the counter cholesterol test kit and found that I am in the med to high risk level. I understand that a Doctor can prescribe something called a statin for lowering cholesterol. If I took this would it have any bearing on the outcome of a class 2 medical?

Thanks

gingernut
24th Mar 2004, 11:02
Postflyer, thats what I like, patients taking a bit of responsibility for their own health.....even when theyr'e not ill.

Firstly, get it all in perspective. Run a search on "Cholesterol" or see here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=71739&highlight=cholesterol)

A high cholesterol alone, in the absence of other risk factors (eg high bp/smoking/strong family history/being overweight), isn't always a medical problem, in itself, and doesn't always need treatment.

Go and see your friendly gp/practice nurse for a chat. They may be able to enter your "lifestyle variables" into a computer program, which then gives a "risk score" for stroke or heart attack over the next 10 years. This score (everyone's got one....mines about 5%), guides us on what treatment you need.

Incidentally, curt down on the other risk factors, eg, smoking, reduces the score.

If your score is over 30%, (doubtful in a clean living person such as yourself), your GP can prescribe you a "statin" to reduce your cholesterol. If lower than 30 % , (I think), then technically, he may not be able to prescribe it. (Don't blame me!).

Clinically, the evidence suggests that the benefits outweigh the risks of treatment, down to a score of about 7 %, but if we followed this guidance we would bankrupt the NHS.

You will soon be able to buy "statins" over the counter, without a prescription.

Some people think the drug is so good, we should put it in the water, although it can make your muscles ache, and rot your liver (rarely).

As for flying with the drug, don't know I'm afraid.

Go and have a chat to your doc before embarking on life-long treatment.

ps don't forget the oily fish, fresh fruit and veg etc, a heart attacks more likely to kill you than the pcp's !