PDA

View Full Version : any advice after the fact for the first interview

snowbirdbrad
23rd Mar 2004, 19:25
Hey, just looking for some advice on the first interview and wanted to see if anyone who has been through has some tips now looking back:

1. For the first interview did the questions mainly focus on technical and personal...I hear many people talk about the second interview and the Cathay fleet questions ect...does this normally come up in the first as well?

2. I have read on the forum that many people say to know AHRS, FMS, IRS for the interview... Does anyone have any recommendations for what material to study on how indeth they wanted you to know the system...

Cheers

envoy
25th Mar 2004, 09:36
Snowbirdbrad

I have just finished interviews here in Australia. My observations:

My preparation was 'standard'. Read HTBJ cover to cover, keeping my old ATPL notes handy to reinforce what I read. I re-read my ATPL notes and did some of the practice exams to get me thinking in that way. I got a hold of 'Captain XYZ', which although a few years old and suffering from a few errors in the answers given, was very worth it for the type of questions asked. Went over my old aircraft flight manuals. I did a ton of research on-line about the company profile and operations. I learnt a few simple facts about each type, the number of each operated and where they fly to. I read the past year or so of press releases from Cathay (available on their website) and read a bit on the HKAOA website. I also looked at real estate in HK, as well as a few expat sites for info on lifestyle, cost of living etc. Bought the Lonely Planet guide to HK as well!

First half hour was a 30-question tech quiz. Multi-choice, lots of ATPL level knowledge. Fairly straightforward. While I was doing the quiz the interviewers took my logbook, passport, application update, CV, etc...

I brought everything I was told to bring, including a one-page CV. In my mind, it made better reading than the Cathay application form.

There were two interviewers. One focussed on personal/professional issues, the other on tech knowledge. There was a little overlap between them. They did their best to relax me and make me feel comfortable, and kept their questions direct.

The personal questions revolved around who I knew in Cathay, had I/my wife been to HK, what would she do in HK (a lot of questions about my wife, come to think of it), why would someone in my position want to take a pay/seniority cut and become an SO, had I applied to any other airlines, etc.

I answered honestly, including the fact that I had applied to other airlines. They also asked if I knew about the dispute with the HKAOA, the current situation and what I would have done if I had been offered a job during the recruiting ban.

It was handy brainstorming all of the personal/professional questions with my wife beforehand, anticipating the 'hard' questions, and working on the answers to keep them short and honest.

The tech questions were not too hard. There was a little about Cathay's types and the types you would find an SO flying on, as well as SO duties. This moved on to a couple of aircraft models (B777 & A340) . There was discussion on winglets, swept wing, carbon brakes, GPWS and EGPWS, assymetric thrust. We talked about pressurisation, air conditioning and bleed air. Most of the questions were 'hands-on' knowledge from my previous type, rather than cold theory.

The face to face interview was just over an hour. At the end of the interview they couldn't wait to get me out the door and the farewells were curt and formal. This left me feeling quite negative about the whole experience, expecting the worst. Just today I got good news, with a final interview in HK in June.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I may be able to help.

Cheers

flyingkiwi
25th Mar 2004, 23:30
Good post.

bugg@# about the ban question, at least you dont need to worry about that as well!

I dont know what typ you are currently on, but if its not a heavy jet go out and hire a 74classic sim and practice up the profile they will send you. know it inside and out.

The interview up in HK is pretty much a rehash of the first, lots of the same questions to check consistancy. especially the personal ones.

Cant say about the group exercise as it was after my time.

My other half is sitting over my shoulder and has said to let you know that your wife is ineligable to work up in HK on the visa she will get (dependance visa). The only way for her to work is if she gets sponsored into a full time position. My recommendation is if you get in enjoy the time as a S/O for traveling, you get the best roster, then when your upgrade comes send her to work....just been slapped from behind....

Best of luck for the 2nd, pack light clothing June is getting pretty warm up here.

FK

sony
25th Mar 2004, 23:42
Envoy, please check your PM's.