PDA

View Full Version : WTC Jokes ???

BlueDiamond
23rd Sep 2001, 12:05
I suppose it was bound to happen and today I heard my first jokes about the WTC disaster. Now, while I realise that humour is a legitimate method of dealing with intolerable situations, these jokes left me in a really strange frame of mind.

I could appreciate the creativity, the wittiness and the cleverness and I recognised the fact that what was being said was actually humourous, but I found that none of it even raised a smile.

I remember jokes about the "Baby taken by dingo" case and jokes about other tragic events and I remember laughing along with the rest of them. I've always felt that humour was a useful tool in helping us to come to terms with things but could it be that there are times when nothing will help? Is it just too soon after the event? Any thoughts or ideas fellow Ppruners??? Does humour have a place in even events of this magnitude?

:confused:

Kermit 180
23rd Sep 2001, 12:46
Taking the mickey out of Osama Bin Liner is one thing, but jokes about the tragedy arent on, in my opinion. Nothing is funny about what happened in NY or Washington.

Kermie

Feeton Terrafirma
23rd Sep 2001, 13:08
Well I posted a comment about Ansett, which compared Gary Too.of.me with Osama rubbish bin Liner and I was heavily canned for it. I know that many AN folks found it funny in a time of crisis and it helped to put their situation into perspective. I was at first ammazed that I received any critisism for the post, and later saddened that a number of people (obviously those who have never lost their job, or home) could see it in as anything different other than the jab at AN managment that is was.

I guess that it's another case of coming to a realise that their are some very different views held around the world, and many of them are legitimate in some way or another.

I guess you could say that you will never please everyone all the time.

NOTE: Recognition of veiws other than my own is not agreement with them.

[ 23 September 2001: Message edited by: Feeton Terrafirma ]

Send Clowns
23rd Sep 2001, 13:30
When I was still deeply shocked by the events of 11 Sep this was what confirmed that this was broadly seen as shocking to a degree greater than anything before. After Concorde, jokes, and funny ones. Even after many natural disasters come jokes. As you say, nothing wrong with humour in a dark situation, as long as you recognise the darkness. After New York/Washington, nothing. Not seen a single joke about the disaster.

rover2701
23rd Sep 2001, 13:47
Clowns
you are indeed fortunate not have heard any jokes about the tagedy at the WTC.

I was unfortunate to be in chat a couple of days ago and one sick and sorry person decided that he thought the time was right to crack a joke about the events of 11th Sept. It was soon made clear to him what the other people all thought of his joke.

He was suitably chastened, and I am sure he will not be telling any more of his sick, sad and pathetic jokes.

:mad: :mad:

BRL
23rd Sep 2001, 13:48
Well, I am afraid to say that i have heard at least 5 doing the rounds at work/pub right now. :(

Unwell_Raptor
23rd Sep 2001, 13:54
No, the WTC is a joke too far.

Yesterday's paper told of an Islamic female stand-up comic who has been building up her career in the UK, but who suddenly has no bookings.

Samples of her material included: "I've got three sisters at home but we all get by on one bus pass" and the girl walking past a Kabul building site - the builders whistle and shout "show us your face darling"

Velvet
23rd Sep 2001, 15:55
Yes, it is too close to the event and one too horrific for humour until time has blunted the edge. Even the holocaust has spawned jokes and some of those from Jewish minds.

The only 'joke' I've seen was a cartoon posted on here which displayed the NYK skyline rebuilt with five towers in the shape five 'fingers' one raised above the rest. I found that raised a mild smile - as a valiant gesture of defiance.

I think that it is inevitable, but sad, that an Islamic female comic should suddenly bear the brunt of a situation not of her making. The material appears a gesture of defiance against the strictures of the Islamic faith, in the same way that Jewish and Christians comics have done for decades. No doubt, the Taleban, if they knew, would rejoice and celebrate that a critic has been silenced (especially female).

Surely, the best way to tackle fundamentalism of any kind is to use humour against its proponents. To ridicule something is to reduce the fear and tension, for humour is a great equaliser - if we can all laugh together we have a common bond and as they say laughter is a great medicine.

golden_hands
23rd Sep 2001, 16:19
I guess jokes about the event will appear and wil vary in different gradations from mild to gross. A good joke can help relieve the stress though. If you would like it or not, will also depend on how close this tragedy is to you.

I've seen pictures of "Mr Bean" Laden which I must admit were funny.

PPRuNe Dispatcher
23rd Sep 2001, 18:26
Folks -

I know jokes about the WTC are going around but as this is a commercial avaiation site I don't want to see any sick humour about the WTC here.

---Mik

[ 23 September 2001: Message edited by: PPRuNe Dispatcher ]

FlyingForFun
23rd Sep 2001, 21:29
I guess there's lots of factors which decide whether someone finds a joke offensive or not, including how sensitive the person is, and how close to the subject they are.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of posting WTC jokes on PPRuNe, because I know that there are lots of people on here who are very close to the whole thing, and will be offended.

And, just as important, Mik doesn't want these jokes here, and as far as I'm concerned, what the admins say is the law around here. Simple as that.

FFF
-----------

BlueDiamond
23rd Sep 2001, 22:10
I don't think you need worry, PPRune Dispatcher, we all seem to be of the same mind on this. Everyone has carefully refrained from repeating what jokes they may have heard and limited their comments to discussing the concept of jokes about disasters - which is exactly what I intended this thread to be about.