PDA

View Full Version : using DVD inflight

villaceltic
23rd Mar 2004, 17:37
I'm flying Delta to the states soon with my young children (2x4 yr olds and 1x20 months). I've read that the inflight ents is, shall we say, not up to VAtlantics so I'm taking the laptop with some favoured kids DVDs for them to watch. To anyones knowledge is there any problems with doing this, someone suggested that some airlines are not keen on personal electronics / DVDs these days.

Any other info as how to best keep them entertained on the Delta flights.

One last one. We requested seats 27A and that row. Will there be any problems in us having them if we've got the small kids with us or is it as long as an adult is sat at an exit seat?

Many thanks

Macca

23rd Mar 2004, 19:12
Macca,
I flew with Delta a few months ago, and there was no problem with using my computer to watch DVD's. I don't know if the situation has changed recently. It might be an idea to go on the Delta website, and send them an e-mail. You could also ask them about the seat allocation.

villaceltic
24th Mar 2004, 08:55
Thanks 419, I'll drop them an email

Macca

Pax Agent
24th Mar 2004, 09:43
If row 27 is an exit seat then it cannot be allocated at check-in because every person sat in the exit row must be able bodied and able to aid in the evacuation. It is not just the opening of the emergency exit door, the cabin crew may have to rely on you for help directing people away from the aircraft and the bottom of the evacuation slide. You cannot do this if you are having to look after children! Sorry!!!

Young Paul
24th Mar 2004, 10:04
In general, the situation with electronic equipment is that it can be used if the seatbelt signs are switched off. I have seen people using DVD players as passengers during the flight. However, there is a small possibility that electronic equipment will interfere with aircraft systems - and the higher frequency the processors, the greater the likelihood (in broad terms). If the crew think it is interfering with aircraft systems, it is within their remit to ask you to switch it off.

An exit row shouldn't be available to you if you have small children - try and request a bulkhead row instead. This made a big difference when we had an under-2.

As one who has travelled on transatlantic flights with three young children, my advice is: don't expect to get any time for yourself; separate the children (seat child/adult/child and child/adult - pref. youngest on their own with the adult); take less bulky and cheaper things (etch-a-sketch, shoelaces, puzzle books) - bear in mind that you are going to have to carry those DVD players around the whole time; consider giving them something "mildly sedative" - perhaps a spoonful of cough mixture ; do something to wear them out the day before and make sure they haven't had quite enough sleep; and finally, don't forget that it's only one day of your life (despite the way it seems to stretch out whilst you are going through it!).

Wycombe
24th Mar 2004, 11:17
I've taken my (now 5 year old) twin girls on a couple of long haul flights now.

Found that as long as we prepared (as suggested by Young Paul), had plenty for them to do (some fave toys, games and books), it was no problem. One of these flights was with VS, so
the IFE kept them happy in the end!

Have some Calpol at the ready - it seems to sooth all known aches, pains and moans!

davethelimey
25th Mar 2004, 15:28
Delta are a nice airline. Depending on aircraft the seats (even in economy) have little power adapters to keep laptops & DVD players going.

villaceltic
26th Mar 2004, 09:55
Thanks everyone. We've flown with the little one's before - just not with this airline. I agree it's all about keeping them entertained on such a long flight in a confined space. Wish us luck

Macca