PDA

View Full Version : What is it about the Wessex that makes people so fond of it?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

SimonBrown
17th Dec 2013, 13:20
A couple of years ago I photographed XT607 at the National Diving and Activity Centre near Chepstow. I posted a while back, so here's a reminder:-

Simon Brown Images - Photographer & Writer (http://simonbrownimages.com/portfolio11.html)

Its taken a few years, but the underwater visibility was excellent last week and I managed to photograph Westland Wessex XS122 in clear water:-

Simon Brown Images - Photographer & Writer (http://www.simonbrownimages.com/portfolio14.html)

The reason for posting is that I'm looking for former crew who would be willing to be interviewed about their experiences with the former Fleet Air Arm Wessex XS122, or to see if anyone out there has any topside images of the helicopter in her heyday, either static or (better) in flight. By way of exchange, I would like to offer former crew a print of XS122 as she is today in return.

Email or PPRUNE PM is best. simon (at) simonbrownimages (dot) com would reach me, replacing the (at) and (dot) with @ and . respectively.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who could help.

chopper2004
28th Jan 2014, 14:20
Does anyone remember this Wessex used for trials of the 'glass cockpit' trials 3 decades ago at Bedford

(images courtesy of Bedford Heritage Aviation Group)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/RAE_Bedford_Wessex_XR503_ship_trials_zpscb424418.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/RAE_Bedford_Wessex_XR503_Glass_Cockpit_zps701d533c.jpg

Cheers

Tacho Genny
9th Feb 2014, 10:24
Yes I remember it well.I flew in it many times to Larkhill and Boscombe Down dropping models of the MRCA...(Tornado) from RAE Bedford in the mid 70's. It was still in RAF camo scheme then.I can't remember where it ended it's days but I did see a Raspberry Ripple tail boom with it's serial number on
in the training school at Gosport (HMS Sultan).

72forever
24th Mar 2015, 00:40
Oh come on this was just a little fun with the photographer whilst on a detachment to Stanford PTA from Aldergrove. If I remember it was Feb 7th 1984. My 21st Birthday.

NutLoose
4th Nov 2015, 21:51
whooo.. that's over a foot long, for those of you that do metric, it's over a foot long :E

Fly Model Kit No. 32010 - Westland Wessex HC.2 Reviww by Jim Hatch (http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/kits/fly32010reviewjh_1.htm)

EESDL
5th Nov 2015, 08:03
"Started off life carrying Marines; how it got a Royal Air Finish is unknown."

most likely it was roped back into service as part of the Puma 'mid-life' update..........or was it the Puma that was the Wessex 'mid-life' update?????
Age!

Hueymeister
17th Nov 2015, 13:28
Simple..relatively, dependable and relatively few vices. A good cab for a dumbass like me to learn my craft on. Not my favourite ship, the UH-1D was the most fun/pleasant and easy ride. Didn't like the Squirrel, equally as ambivalent toward the Gazelle..the Seaking 4 was a pleasant ride, just never got 'comfortable' with it.

Bravo73
17th Nov 2015, 14:25
Fly Model Kit No. 32010 - Westland Wessex HC.2 Reviww by Jim Hatch (http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/kits/fly32010reviewjh_1.htm)

That's the first time that I've seen somebody refer to one of Igor's designs as a "Russian machine". I think that the reviewer needs to read his history books correctly.

It's an impressive model otherwise, if that's your thing.

18th Nov 2015, 05:56
Learned so much in it in my first 2 years of flying - constant MAUM and limited power, loss of tail rotor authority, how to overtorque and not crash when you get the wind wrong, how that awesome undercarriage can save you even when you get recirculation going into a CA - the list goes on for the Queen of the skies.

upgently
21st Nov 2015, 09:58
For the attention of Geebee 50

Having sat, read and really enjoyed the Wessex thread I was extremely disappointed to note the personal attack by Geebee 50 on the SAR crew involved in the Wessex vs HMS Glasgow incident.

The comments by what appears to be a poorly informed member of the police investigating team is really not worthy of comment but comment I shall. Prior to this critical mail the thread has been conducted in a well informed and non critical manner and as the flying members of this thread appreciate this leaves much scope for those wanting to score points.

Geebee 50 I would refer you to Post number 487 which for your reference is factual. Aircrew = Respect. Police Flight = :=

22nd Nov 2015, 09:55
Up Gently - both Cab le Cutter and I have flown with the pilot in the past and, whilst he was a good pair of hands, he had a mischevious and sometimes slightly barking view of what should and shouldn't be done in a helicopter (he was previously a plankie).

The unit he was previously with (plankie) don't have a fantastic reputation when it comes to flying discipline so part of it was learned behaviour.

He was a character but not a perfect one (after all who is?) and the HMS Glasgow incident is one a of a list of things that started out as a good idea (sort of) and wasn't fully thought through, especially concerning margins for safety when wazzing and zooming (if you don't leave a few feet spare for the 'wife and kids' you are going to end up as a statistic).

I wouldn't be too hard on Geebee - if you were asked to investigate a similar incident you would probably come to the same conclusions.

Al-bert
22nd Nov 2015, 13:51
a mischevious and sometimes slightly barking view of what should and shouldn't be done in a helicopter

probably why he got two AFC's Crab :ok:

upgently
22nd Nov 2015, 16:30
Thanks for your replies chaps.

I have had the pleasure of many, many hours with the pilot concerned both on fixed wing and SAR and it would be foolish of me to contradict your observations but in both rolls the very successful results are there for all to see which alas on the negative side does include the HMS Glasgow incident.
I will repeat the observation of the AOC to the crew of which I incidentally was a member.
"Gentlemen if we were at war you would be the crew I would select, but gentlemen we are not at war"

Re the observation of Geebee, "coming to the same conclusions" these are an opinion and from a non aviator are difficult to accept, whereas facts are facts. Yep guilty as charged but please don't judge us until you are happy that the opinions presented represent the truth.

SimonBrown
17th Oct 2016, 09:15
I thought some of the Wessex enthusiasts might like a peek at XS122, who is now residing in 30m at NDAC.

This is a 3D model created using a process called photogrammetry - basically hundreds or thousands of overlapping images that when processed turn into a 3D shape.

This model is a bit 'noisy' and is low definition, but it should give you an idea of how XS122 looks today without getting wet:-

https://sketchfab.com/models/3e066c87ca8c44a69ff32b9e55f8d25b

Hope you like it.

TipCap
17th Oct 2016, 19:35
What a fantastic 3D model. Well impressed though I only drove the Mk V

TC

jimf671
18th Oct 2016, 17:16
... a mischevious and sometimes slightly barking view of what should and shouldn't be done in a helicopter ...

probably why he got two AFC's Crab :ok:

You are reminding me of something I wrote a couple of years ago to an MR colleague in a discussion about mountain flying.

"It has to be faced that the supposed 'best' mountain flying you have ever seen was probably an immensely stupid thing to do."

It seems likely that Al-bert and Crab have known most of the people who contributed to the efforts that comment described.

Al-bert
18th Oct 2016, 20:50
Known? Contributed you mean Jim!
Not in the case of Crab of course since he was/is a QHI and far too sensible :}
Still, the Troops were always grateful and times were different then. I realised that they'd changed when we were stopped from cleaning the crew room windows at C Flight pre AOC's inspection - far too dangerous, Health and Safety etc! :ok:

DroneDog
19th Oct 2016, 12:51
I always thought the Wessex was a fantastic design with the pilots perched up top and that landing gear...

Why was the design never refined & developed.

YUBVXaNEnkM

Dave B
21st Oct 2016, 16:22
The Wessex was a development of the S58, I don't see how that design could have been further developed, except for the vee frame landing gear that Sikorsky brought out to reduce the ground resonance that the machine was prone to.
It was also the worlds greatest vacuum cleaner, many a chief engineer received a roasting for engine stone damage, (engineers were always blamed by logistics for engine damage).
There was an attempt to reduce the damage by fitting air intake filters manufactured by Aviation traders, but they weighed a ton, and damaged the hinges and attachments.
There will always be a soft spot for the Wessex however.

Geoffersincornwall
21st Oct 2016, 19:58
Ah yes! night dunking, the Thursday War, in-flight refuelling practice, amber screens, those were the days.

G. :-)

Democritus
21st Oct 2016, 22:23
Amber Screen dunking! :yuk:. I shall have nightmares tonight thinking back 50 years to that!

Phone Wind
21st Oct 2016, 23:35
For me, it was the wooden grip at the end of the collective. So incongruous at the time with things like Wheatstone bridges measuring the transmission torque, whilst at the end of the collective was this beautiful, smooth, organic grip. Wonderful

Lee Howard
9th Oct 2017, 18:45
Hummingfrog posted a photo of the Warrenpoint bombing some time ago but the link is broken. Does anyone have a copy of the image in which the Wessex can be made out?

ShyTorque
9th Oct 2017, 21:18
I'll bet one forum member does - he was flying it!
He'll probably be along soon...

ShyTorque
9th Oct 2017, 21:22
Why was the design never refined & developed.

It was - they put the engines on top, the pilots at the bottom and called it the Blackhawk.

SASless
9th Oct 2017, 22:36
Why did the Wessex(S-58/S-58T) not get improved and modernized?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6aMSr4YaUtw/hqdefault.jpg

Simple, cheap, reliable, low profile, single turbine engine.

expatfrance
10th Oct 2017, 06:34
Lee Howard
If you look at page 25 498 you will still see a picture there.

Lee Howard
10th Oct 2017, 17:57
Lee Howard
If you look at page 25 498 you will still see a picture there.

I saw that but I thought I'd seen a better one where the aircraft could be seen fairly easily?

Would be interested to hear from the pilot, too.

ShyTorque
10th Oct 2017, 21:31
I saw that but I thought I'd seen a better one where the aircraft could be seen fairly easily?

Would be interested to hear from the pilot, too.

You already have......

expatfrance
11th Oct 2017, 05:59
Lee
If you have any questions PM me.

wrighar
25th Apr 2020, 18:18
I took this pic. on the promenade at Lyme Regis C.1972, when I was a sprog ATCO at Portland. The SAR Wessex was giving a winching demo with the local lifeboat when something went tech and it ended up 'feet wet'. The lifeboat had to tow it ashore where Trumpton can be seen hosing out the salt water. The pilot (a large bearded fellow) insisted that he had made a 'Mayday' call, although none of us in the radar room at portland had heard it. A protracted search of the tapes revealed a very feint maydaymaydaymayday in amongst the background noise.

I was on the beach that day watching the demo.... Only 4 yrs old though.
Father was an RAF man and trained on helicopters.

huge72
29th Apr 2020, 13:39
My very first flight in a Wessex was as a CCF Cadet at Odiham in 1968. The start of an association that lasted until 2002. Starting as a Crewman in 79, I flew 18 years on type amassing some 5500 hrs. I enjoyed my time far more than my subsequent tours on the Herc or the VC10. I have so many memories of those years on 28, 60, 72 and 2FTS from always being covered in oil from the bulkhead above my head to the banter with the talking ankles in the cockpit. They were great days looked back on with sometimes misty eyes. Too many tales to tell but the old girl will always have a place in my heart. I had the privilege to operate as the Crewman with OC 28 on the very last flight in Hong Kong as we flew them to the docks for transport to Uruguay in June 97 and in 2002 as the Chief Instructor Heli Trg Section at JATEU I managed to get airborne on the last day of Wessex flying in the RAF as 84's Cabs were flown from Brize to Shawbury for storage and disposal. And if I still need a fix, I visit Cosford a gaze on XR525 'G' as she sits on a pedestal for all to see.
And finally as an aside when I was Dined Out from the Mess at Brize in 2010, I presented OC101 with a small dicast Wessex, so the fixed wing pilots could see what a real aircraft looked like!

peterperfect
29th Apr 2020, 18:55
Huge,
I visited Punte del Este in Uruguay for oil industry related work a few years ago, I took some photos of the (grounded) Wessies behind a hangar, one was intact and properly covered the rest in bits. Was a sad sight though, so prepare yourself in case you want me to post them. Happiest days of my career were flying out of 28 AC buildings in '79 and '80 and playing for The Flying Kukris RFC. I was a pair of mumbling ankles in the Wessex III for a few years. pp.

29th Apr 2020, 21:06
Huge,
I visited Punte del Este in Uruguay for oil industry related work a few years ago, I took some photos of the (grounded) Wessies behind a hangar, one was intact and properly covered the rest in bits. Was a sad sight though, so prepare yourself in case you want me to post them. Happiest days of my career were flying out of 28 AC buildings in '79 and '80 and playing for The Flying Kukris RFC. I was a pair of mumbling ankles in the Wessex III for a few years. pp.
There were several in various stages of poor repair on the military side of Montevideo airport - the UK sold them quite a few but they didn't have the engineering skill to keep them going, especially the setting up of the fuel computers. The Sqn guys told me they had computer freezes on almost every sortie and wouldn't believe me when I said I had had only one for real in nearly 3000 hours of Wessex flying

John Eacott
29th Apr 2020, 23:19
Was a sad sight though, so prepare yourself in case you want me to post them.

I'd like to see your photos please :ok:

Here are a couple never before seen, I've been scanning some old slides (in very poor condition) belonging to Nigel Osborn from his time on 848NAS. Not the best as they're half frame, Agfa, and just a touch of mould on the slides; but historically quite interesting :cool:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1439/wessex_v_cockpit_nigel_osborne_small_44615b833dfd34cf2525723 ce4245e4037d64516.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1420x2000/wessex_cleaning_on_albion_small_89bc64199744003573dd0f533bbf 08fc24bde2e5.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1420x2000/wessex_v_on_lift_d654d6ab98de99617d9494cfa11a81bd9f0cb71d.jp g

Nigel Osborn
30th Apr 2020, 00:42
I get so sentimental seeing those old slides on my computer now! No computers when I took those photos! John has a lot more to do!

John Eacott
30th Apr 2020, 06:06
Here are a few more, again apologies for the poor quality. Nigel Osborn should be able to give some detail of the photos :ok:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1399/wessex_albion_01_small_9d262406ccca93f0e737f56fe3300e7a4ebb0 3ba.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1418/wessex_albion_02_small_cf0566c582f5e5f39f43b030efbe16dc6fd39 43c.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1439/wessex_albion_03_small_1643fa83797402c18da31da1efad6a1ed4681 fbb.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1449/wessex_albion_04_small_5abe3a87f11f5c49f4c97707ae89632c5bc64 eb4.jpg

Al-bert
30th Apr 2020, 07:50
The Sqn guys told me they had computer freezes on almost every sortie and wouldn't believe me when I said I had had only one for real in nearly 3000 hours of Wessex flying

4241.30 hrs Crabb and only one for me too!
Mind you it was a good one, lifting a USL load of junk from St KIlda to Benbecula for the army! :ok:

Georg1na
30th Apr 2020, 09:51
Two things - I notice all Nigel's pictures are taken from behind - is there a social clue here?

Going back a lot of photos have disappeared. Any one know why?

Thud_and_Blunder
30th Apr 2020, 10:22
Lovely pics John - could I recommend a prog called Silverfast (currently on its 8th iteration), a German scanning-software programme that includes an IR-based cunning method for removing unwanted artefacts? My current Covid project is scanning 800-odd 6cm slides and several thousand 35mm transparencies dating back to 1977 - Silverfast has done a fantastic job of tidying up the ubiquitous dust/fluff and microscopic cracks on the ones I've done so far. Might want to check that your scanner works with it first, though - I don't know if all of them have the capability (my retirement present to myself was an Epson V800, bought specifically for this little project).

John Eacott
30th Apr 2020, 11:05
Lovely pics John - could I recommend a prog called Silverfast (currently on its 8th iteration), a German scanning-software programme that includes an IR-based cunning method for removing unwanted artefacts? My current Covid project is scanning 800-odd 6cm slides and several thousand 35mm transparencies dating back to 1977 - Silverfast has done a fantastic job of tidying up the ubiquitous dust/fluff and microscopic cracks on the ones I've done so far. Might want to check that your scanner works with it first, though - I don't know if all of them have the capability (my retirement present to myself was an Epson V800, bought specifically for this little project).

I scan with SF8, but buggered if I can improve the image damage left by the mould? I've just downloaded HDR8 which may be what I should use but it's a bit of a mystery box at the moment. Scanner is compatible (Plus Tek 8200i), any tips gratefully received :ok:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1418/wessex_v_village_landing_small_fa942eeb7e302e890982414fe6a4f 243f9ec82a9.jpg

John Eacott
30th Apr 2020, 11:13
Two things - I notice all Nigel's pictures are taken from behind - is there a social clue here?

Going back a lot of photos have disappeared. Any one know why?

My photos went when my old company folded and the website was no more. Given a nudge I'll try to find the originals and upload them to PPRuNe library.

Here are some more of Nigel's from Borneo, not from behind :p

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1449/wessex_borneo_02_small_b0a2c2d47f70bc44a38735dd91af5cb7e40a3 9b3.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1449/wessex_borneo_03_small_de7fe3666b52ae9f8d7e29f0bc2962272083e 1d5.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1460x2000/wessex_borneo_04_small_1956ef4f737115f4d7a5edf8bdb04441f610c d37.jpg

Can I see the dreaded Amber Screen in the last photo?

And what is the Heath Robinson set of rods in front of the pilot: an original Iron Sight?

Fareastdriver
30th Apr 2020, 11:43
An SS11 sight? It's shaped like a mast for aiming at ships.

Hueymeister
30th Apr 2020, 12:52
Huge72...remember fondly flying you between flagpoles on the range in Hong Kong or bouncing you through the lush green fields of NI and maybe Eire on occasion!

Pete Edwards
30th Apr 2020, 12:57
Nostalgia running wild here! On an Air test post ASF in the mid 70s with Garth Parfitt flying and me writing down the figures the No1 engine decided to do its own thing and freeze.

Sir, I said, and pointed out what had happened.

On arrival back at Odiham I pointed out that we hadn't done all the hover checks,which were always left to last anyway. No problem he said and as an aside, I wander what those fire engines are doing there? Checks completed on one engine and then an expletive when he realised that having called the tower and told them about the failure they were expecting us to land pronto! Never a dull airtest with Garth at the controls.
Great times.

Thud_and_Blunder
30th Apr 2020, 15:16
Never used them myself, but I thought the sight was for unguided rockets - cue the story about K** G***s (my next-door neighbour in Hants when we were - allegedly - growing-up) and the Mansion in Malta. I'm sure someone ex-RN will be along shortly to furnish us with the details.

(John, the de-cluttering bit of SF8 is iSRD, just under the Unsharp Mask control in the sidebar on the left. You can tweak the sensitivity of the detection to get the right amount of 'fuzz' removal without loss of original image quality... but you probably knew all this already)

huge72
30th Apr 2020, 21:37
Ah Hueymeister, ''Flags'', the record was 32mins Sek Kong and back with all the flags up. I remember Flag 1 one morning with Trevor W and Steve L with me as winchman. We had just put it up and I was back on intercom, when Trevor calmly says ''Right then off back now'', Why when we still had over half the flags to go, well he says I had an Engine Failure whilst you were on the wire and I didn't want you to be Chopped! If anybody remembers Flag 1 there was about a 500ft drop on the run in to the pole. Walter's single engine capability saved the day again.
And as for Eire did we really go ''International''

Rigga
30th Apr 2020, 22:26
Thud.....Are you old enough to go back to 1977?

Nigel Osborn
1st May 2020, 01:46
I think that was a temporary sight for the rockets, didn't keep it for long. The pilot there is the late Bruce Brown, who was sadly killed in a crash at Bau with 3 others. He is helping the Frankie Howerd group of entertainers to fly up to Nanga Gaat. He hoped to chat up Shirley but missed out! No I think that is a plastic sun shade.

peterperfect
1st May 2020, 08:32
John, lovely photos. The Heath Robinson flap to permit transmission service door dropping with a winch fitted is typically functional.
regarding your I'd like to see your photos please images/smilies/thumbs.gif I've realised I posted them a while ago in the "calling all ex-Wessex personnel" thread. Here the thumbnails from that post attached, along with a Squadron Print in a crew room there commemorating the delivery to Uruguay from UK. Yes, an ex-USN version (H58T ?) in there. Two sad ex-750 Jetstreams were holed up on the same dispersal, along with a broken squadron of ex-USN Grumman Trackers.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/200x130/wx_uruguay_2_60d76aaa4ea17b4782aa07bc07053f38b05ea243.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/200x149/xr_505_879c5e8437b478620dd29c131e7ffd1f4af92608.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/200x96/wx_uruguay_88403332b56fad2b79ff729c410a9f4e1abcb9e0.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/200x152/wz_fd31ab9b97e8ef5695dce0f4206eadde8f6c18be.jpg

Georg1na
1st May 2020, 10:05
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1532x1161/borneo_37__d6b56e487fc51280bad19282e6063fd76fe3a98c.jpg
Bruce Brown arriving with Shirley Abecair.

Georg1na
1st May 2020, 10:13
PS - The simple sight was for 2" RP - but actually a china graph cross on the windscreen after you had seen where the first one went was more accurate!!
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x806/jsf_wx5_rocketing_copy_9908d1f54989b683f17028c3a17bc6e7b30ac 7e8.jpg

John Eacott
2nd May 2020, 05:29
John, lovely photos. The Heath Robinson flap to permit transmission service door dropping with a winch fitted is typically functional.
regarding your I'd like to see your photos please images/smilies/thumbs.gif

I've reloaded my missing photos: and the flap to allow the service door to drop over the rescue hoist was fine until you forgot it was there and moved back onto it during a pre-flight inspection!

LOONRAT
2nd May 2020, 07:48
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/682x415/1968_raf_odiham_diamond_9_flypast_overhead_base_0a3772fe855d 925180814ed085da2776d806bc22.jpg
Diamond 9 Practice 72 Sqn RAF Odiham 1968 Happy days

Fareastdriver
2nd May 2020, 08:11
I the dying days of Confrontation in Borneo in 1966 the powers that be changed the Navy Wessex Bario detachment over with the RAF detachment at Sepulot. I has spent two months at Tawau and was in Labuan awaiting my repatriation to the UK when I was detailed to proceed to Sepulot for a week..

and here is a picture to prove it.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1299/1_1_2010_001_1_42cdb9e78471ab97aa729b896ba4a09295e89229.jpg

The reason for me being there was that both Wessex were AOG.

Weasel Watcher
2nd May 2020, 12:42
All these photos of Junglies swanning about in bright sunshine are all very well but doesn`t anyone have some of the real workhorse, the Wessex 3? She deserves more than a passing mention as she was way ahead of her time in terms of automation and outstanding performance in her allotted role, not to mention the incredible contribution to the Special Forces raid on South Georgia during the Falklands campaign.

peterperfect
2nd May 2020, 13:06
All these photos of Junglies swanning about in bright sunshine are all very well but doesn`t anyone have some of the real workhorse, the Wessex 3? She deserves more than a passing mention as she was way ahead of her time in terms of automation and outstanding performance in her allotted role, not to mention the incredible contribution to the Special Forces raid on South Georgia during the Falklands campaign.
Here you go WW, hope this achieves the request. The AS Wessex I at Duxford (AVPIN start... beware beware) and a Wessex III at Portland carrying the nuclear depth charge. Amazing to think at the age of 21 I was a nuclear bomber pilot ! The WE177 weapon was a good bit of kit; it packed almost the same punch as a stick of Royal Marines deployed from a Wessex V !!!
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/768x1024/westland_wessex_at_duxford_5f06db8d5c78c9038b75f72793e6b2bd4 16686b6.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/512x384/unnamed_1e0bb876a4699a1e3fa8b93670595dac24f76727.jpg

Georg1na
2nd May 2020, 14:29
Yes yes yes the WX 3 was a fantastic bit of kit and dear old pinger Stanley did an amazing job in South Georgia - but the fact remains that in living history no anti submarine helicopter has ever found and successfully prosecuted a submarine!

FD2
5th May 2020, 23:26
Admittedly not using sonar, but what about Antrim Flight (dear old pinger Stanley) double depth charging the Argentinian submarine Santa Fe and forcing it to return to South Georgia, leaking like a sieve? The AS12 attack by Endurance's Wasp did blow someone's leg off I believe. The Mk 46 torpedo attack failed. It's all there in Chris Parry's book.

In a wider context, how often have submarines and anti-submarine helicopters been pitted against each other in a war setting, say since the 1960s? I seem to remember plenty of times where it happened in exercises but then we knew there was actually a submarine there. I find it hard to think of an real war situation where the two have been pitted against each other. There was plenty of a/s pinging in the Falklands but I have no idea of whether Argentinian subs were actually present apart from at South Georgia.

NDBs were oh so secret at the time but a near certain kamikaze mission if used in anger. We even flew a circuit at Culdrose with one strapped on during an inspection, but at night in case anyone saw us!

MightyGem
9th May 2020, 10:48
I'd have put this in "What Is It About The Wessex" but Search comes up with everything else but.

Thread found and merged :p
Senior Pilot

Anyway, Swinton Barracks, Perham Down, Tidworth, July 1980. XV732. Very red and shiny. Is is a Royal Flight aircraft?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1511x1040/wessex_c166a630092db964b844f855a07d84bd1978e613.jpeg

Dan Gerous
9th May 2020, 10:53
Yes it is/was.

Herod
9th May 2020, 13:26
XV 732 is a Wessex HCC 4, ex- Queen's Flight, then 32 Sqn. . Now on display (or will be post covid) ay the RAF Museum, Hendon

RAFEngO74to09
9th May 2020, 14:09
Nice HD video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wspelfWtO1g

teeteringhead
9th May 2020, 16:58
As an aside, we see examples of an old protocol regarding similar types (but different marks) shared by FAA and RAF.

The idea was that FAA had odd numbers and RAF even. So the HAS Mk 1, HAS Mk 3 and the Jungly HU Mk 5 came into service before the RAF's HC Mk 2, which was followed by the QF HCC Mk 4.

I would get out more but I'm locked down!

MightyGem
9th May 2020, 21:07
Thanks...10 :rolleyes:

Bengo
10th May 2020, 10:09
As an aside, we see examples of an old protocol regarding similar types (but different marks) shared by FAA and RAF.

The idea was that FAA had odd numbers and RAF even. So the HAS Mk 1, HAS Mk 3 and the Jungly HU Mk 5 came into service before the RAF's HC Mk 2, which was followed by the QF HCC Mk 4.

I would get out more but I'm locked down!

Not with the Lynx or Sea King though. RN had Lx 2,3 and 8, Army 1,7 and 9. SK1,2,4,5,7 were RN, SK3 was RAF.
N

Thud_and_Blunder
10th May 2020, 10:26
...and both the RN and AAC received the Lynx Mk10... :rolleyes:

ShyTorque
10th May 2020, 10:48
I did my RAF Wessex training on the Mk5. They still had an armaments panel under the right side window sill.

teeteringhead
10th May 2020, 11:03
As an aside, we see examples of an old protocol

I did say old ....... clearly changed post Wessex.

And for Shy, the Shawbury Mk 5s were ex-FAA cabs. And of course 72 briefly flew some Mk 5s in Operation HEADLESS CHICKEN in '82........

peterperfect
16th May 2020, 08:52
Well John - all very interesting............

But - Why were there tyre marks across the hall table at the Red House mess......? and indeed upstairs as well..............?

What about what was going on on the billiard table at the mess at Biggin Hill after Battle of Britain Day 1964................? Twice............!

and who ate Freds Crabfatty pie.....................?

Who drove his Tina scooter, sitting on it backwards, across the dispersal as a famous Crab aerobatic team were taxiing out...................?

Armament platforms were just a distraction...............:O

Bast0n, hope all is well. C19 has provided me with enough time to go back through the dits and photos in this excellent Thread. Albeit you posted the above in 2013, did you get all the correct responses to your quiz ? If not, I reckon the backwards competitor to the Sparrows display at Farnboro had initials RW ? I worked with a Chief SE many years later and he recalled having to repair all the flying clothing from that detachment. Happy Days.

Georg1na
16th May 2020, 12:37
Not RW - MS........................

Georg1na
23rd May 2020, 11:51
The Famous Tina Scooter...................

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/877x615/tina_scooter_bb09dbbf21c5cd3c28860bb71c26d5bf6668f25a.jpg

ShyTorque
23rd May 2020, 12:23
I did say old ....... clearly changed post Wessex.

And for Shy, the Shawbury Mk 5s were ex-FAA cabs. And of course 72 briefly flew some Mk 5s in Operation HEADLESS CHICKEN in '82........

Yes, if you looked down the fuselage sides in the correct light you could still see the profile of the words "Royal Navy" under the RAF paint. They were obviously a bit short of sand paper when they resprayed them.

I'll bet the RN were glad to get shot of them. I was scheduled five times to do my first solo on type; only got a serviceable one at the sixth attempt! Then during my first night sortie with Ivan C-T we had a hydraulic failure as I turned downwind for the first circuit.

I transmitted "PAN, PAN, PAN, Wessex downwind, hydraulic failure, request immediate landing on the runway!"

ATC replied: "Practice Pan aircraft downwind, Negative! Standby, there is an aircraft about to rejoin from the west who will be requesting a practice single engine landing!"

Ivan C-T: "He didn't say practice, it's a real hydraulic failure!"

ATC: "Ooer... er roger, Wessex clear to land on the runway..."

23rd May 2020, 13:08
Ivan C-T - top chap, did my pre A2 workup with him:ok:

We had some ex-RN Mk 5s in Cyprus that had been part-converted to HC 2 standard but retained the horrible traffic light rad-alt and (very usefully) the external drop fuel tank which gave us enough range to get to Israel for premature babyvacs.

Georg1na
23rd May 2020, 14:41
Crab

"the horrible traffic light rad-alt"

I don't remember those - any pictures? As I recall we had a very nice rad alt - accurate as well.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/460x576/rad_alt_144df155ff3fe7caaf4e8d5cf8a83a01f639c411.jpg

23rd May 2020, 14:59
Georgina - no pictures unfortunately, from memory the scale only went to 500' and it had a traffic light arrangement on the top of the coaming,

The normal HC 2 rad alt was very good.

Georg1na
23rd May 2020, 15:40
No recollection of traffic lights - how would you set the bug?

ShyTorque
23rd May 2020, 21:30
No recollection of traffic lights - how would you set the bug?

Press the button and don't cross the road except on a green?

Georg1na
23rd May 2020, 21:56
Shy - would you build the bridge across the river or along it................................

John Eacott
23rd May 2020, 22:00
Ivan C-T - top chap, did my pre A2 workup with him:ok:

We had some ex-RN Mk 5s in Cyprus that had been part-converted to HC 2 standard but retained the horrible traffic light rad-alt and (very usefully) the external drop fuel tank which gave us enough range to get to Israel for premature babyvacs.

No radalt traffic lights on any Wessex that I remember?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1439/wessex_v_cockpit_nigel_osborne_small_44615b833dfd34cf2525723 ce4245e4037d64516.jpg

(photo from Nigel Osborn collection)

Nigel Osborn
23rd May 2020, 22:08
Our rad alt had 2 scales, 0 to 500 for low level work, great for night EOLS!. 0 to 5000 to make sure you were above 3000 to be safe from small arms fire. You just pushed a button I think to change the scale. The bug was set in the usual way. A very accurate rad alt as we did EOLS without looking out, just did it on the rad alt.

Nigel Osborn
23rd May 2020, 22:18
The Famous Tina Scooter...................

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/877x615/tina_scooter_bb09dbbf21c5cd3c28860bb71c26d5bf6668f25a.jpg

1 was taken on board Albion with 848 & ended up in Labuan. We used to go to the International Hotel on the sea front to have dinner & drinks on the 7th floor restaurant. Somehow the Tina went up 7 flights of stairs & managed to leave tire marks while doing wheelies on their nice shiny parquet dance floor! The management were not amused! There were more pilots injured falling off those Tinas than in helicopter accidents!

Democritus
23rd May 2020, 22:39
No traffic lights on the Wessex HAS Mk3 very accurate Rad Alt - just an expanded scale below 200ft for A/S work.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/600x400/wx3radalt_d6f20c9a1c02217c314d16d6ba272bceabccefdc.jpg

Georg1na
24th May 2020, 08:31
Do you think the traffic lights in Crabs aircraft was a sort of countdown to "Sports Afternoon"..............................?

24th May 2020, 08:40
Democritus - that is the same rad alt as Wessex 2 so I don't know where the traffic light one came from.

Georg1na - saying we needed a countdown to a sports afternoon is like saying the Navy need a countdown for an early Friday stack:E

Fareastdriver
24th May 2020, 08:48
I haven't seen a helicopter's ASI with that range of speed markings for nearly fifty years.

Georg1na
24th May 2020, 10:02
"is like saying the Navy need a countdown for an early Friday stack"

I resemble that remark, and jealousy will get you no where..................................:D

Democritus
24th May 2020, 15:09
I haven't seen a helicopter's ASI with that range of speed markings for nearly fifty years.
Yes - that photo was taken 53 years ago of the panel of XS121. It ended its days 5 years later when it went for a swim off Portland Bill in February 1972 following an engine failure at 200ft.

The Noo
27th May 2020, 08:45
Hi All Unusual request for help. Just trying to use this link to see if anyone is still on this site or any other that was on 707/848/829]707/848/829/845/846 NAS Sqdns roughly between 1966 and 1972 I was an Aircrewman and went from Culdrose day after receiving wings to join 848 in Hong Kong thro' to making recruitment films in the Virgin Islands and many other fantastic places from the start of Clockwork to working with US Marines in Puerto Rico Would be great to find anyone is still around. Am now at Exeter as Passenger Service Agent. Many thanks
Neil (The Noo) Chandler [email protected]

ShyTorque
27th May 2020, 14:32
Do you think the traffic lights in Crabs aircraft was a sort of countdown to "Sports Afternoon"..............................?

In almost 20 years in the RAF I never once served on a station where there was such a thing as a "Sports Afternoon".

Fareastdriver
27th May 2020, 15:25
The 'sports afternoon' went in the early sixties with the establishment of the 5 day week.

Georg1na
27th May 2020, 20:05
Oh Shy - what a sheltered life you did lead!!:E

Thud_and_Blunder
28th May 2020, 11:05
Am 89.999+% sure that the HU5s that were loaned - along with their senior maintainers - to 2 FTS in 1977 had the traffic lights atop the coaming. Unfortunately I only took to photography in 1978 so have no visual evidence. Annoying as they were, they didn't take up anywhere near as much space as the DECCA nav in the HC2s.. for short-@rses like me, most trips involved much more IF than they should've.

Now, for Sports Afternoon try the AAC - especially after the Wednesday Curry Lunch in the Middle Wallop OM (ISTR the only time flying suits were permitted to be worn in the Mess). The only Wessex connection here, though, was the nose-door that followed a certain officer around wherever he was posted, including his tour(s) as DCI at the School of Army Aviation.

ShyTorque
28th May 2020, 20:38
Oh Shy - what a sheltered life you did lead!!:E
Not sure about the term "sheltered". SH stations were too busy tasking to have half a day off to play ball games.

29th May 2020, 06:41
Thud, I am intrigued - who was that DCI (I served at Wallop on exchange for several years) but not as DCI so it wasn't me:)

ShyTorque
29th May 2020, 10:02
Would his initials be “MT”, by any chance?

Thud_and_Blunder
29th May 2020, 15:55
Nope - if you say "je suis Dave" to anyone who was on the Corsica detachment (he and his crew had arrived at the FFL base and were seeking to gain entry, so he decided to talk to the fella on the gate. Turned out the guard was that rare bird, a Brit in the Legion) they will know of whom I speak.

The nose-door saga started when - as a Flight Commander on 72 in SH Det days - he was flying LHS on a sortie which finished on Omagh's square. That's the square which has a distinct slope. Handling pilot shut the aircraft down, part of the process including holding pressure on the footbrake (RHS pedals only...) while applying the pinch-together parking brake gadget on the centre console. Dave had a bit of post-flight admin which kept him slightly longer than the HP (who'd already climbed out), after which he took off his bonedome and prepared to lower the armour and climb out. Problem was, he'd put his bonedome on the centre console, where it tripped the spring-loaded parking brake 'off'. Cue slow-trundle runaway Wessex, with Keystone Kops antics from Dave and remainder of the crew (I think it rolled-over or flattened the folding chock) trying frantically to get into the RHS to apply the brakes. They were unsuccessful, but more serious damage was averted by the nose-door bringing the aircraft to an expensive (but not quite as expensive as the aircraft falling onto the lower carpark) grinding halt on the kerb around the edge of the square. The nose-door was presented as an ornamental keepsake, which Dave tried to leave behind on posting... several times. It always found its way home, helped by willing hands who knew the story.

29th May 2020, 17:21
Thud, I can think of 2 Daves that might fit the bill - one (DG) known for his eyebrows and the other (DLM) more suave and sophisticated:ok: Actually just thought of another (DW).

Thud_and_Blunder
29th May 2020, 18:40
As we might once have taught - first round on target, 3 rounds fire for effect :ok:... and yes, Dave was almost the only name considered for DCIs

29th May 2020, 19:56
Thud - roger out:ok:

Georg1na
20th Jul 2020, 09:04
You can now get the mug from the Navy Wings store!!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/327x419/wessex_mug_155c71120f122ff6d007edd04e59ff2a0e9ce37b.jpg

EESDL
20th Jul 2020, 20:33
The Dark Knight (night) Dave

Georg1na
20th Jul 2020, 22:05
K? Do you mean David...................?

Georg1na
21st Jul 2020, 13:12
and there is a more patriotic version as well........................
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/576x566/wessx_union_jack_53eee4d160a67e12622a3f866a9324c7f34676e7.jp g

John Eacott
27th Jul 2022, 02:37
Thread revival time: this one has just surfaced from Bristow, Nigeria :ok:

https://youtu.be/5UHedT2b0gI

QuePee
2nd Oct 2022, 09:26
Its good to see this thread revived a few months ago and I would like to take the opportunity to do so again. I know that there is a large Wessex fraternity on here so maybe one of you could help me out.

I took this picture at Farnborough on 11 Sept 1988 and have wondererd ever since about the spelling of the word RESCUE. Is this just a man with a paint brush having a laugh ot is it just the result of employing someone who did not know any better. Its obviously very easy to change the C to a Q, likewise the F in RAF on the door seems to have been convrted to an E.

I wonder if there are any other examples of this sort of thing out there???

QP
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1758x1140/1988_09_11_wessex_hc2_xv720_farnborough_b0f4237cb1d2291c143d 060541bd159cdb000e59.jpg

sycamore
2nd Oct 2022, 11:31
Probably a few bits of black `bodge` tape......

welshwaffu
3rd Oct 2022, 08:22
Probably a few bits of black `bodge` tape......
Probably stuck on by some Fleet Air Arm joker after dark - not guilty:D

4th Oct 2022, 14:16
Some naughty people have been known to change th registration with bodge tape (Harry Blackers for the RN) to confuse the spotters at airshows.

PlasticCabDriver
5th Oct 2022, 07:38
How long has there been a Like button?

welshwaffu
5th Oct 2022, 08:11
Since Monday I think.