PDA

View Full Version : $NTuninstall - whassitallabout???

Wing Commander Fowler
23rd Mar 2004, 13:12
Hello again chaps,

have been wonderin' for some time what the old $NTuninstall folders in the root of my Windows XPhome are all about? I have in the region of 30 varying in size but averaging close to a meg. Are they a critical component of "System Restore" and can I safely erradicate some of them or do I risk opening the (Bill) Gates of Hell??

As ever your assistance widely appreciated. :bored:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Mar 2004, 17:06
Wing Commander Fowler,

What is the size of your Hard Drive and how much Free Space do you have left?

Take Care,

Richard

Wing Commander Fowler
23rd Mar 2004, 22:01
Richard - got me two 80 giggers first one partitioned C has 12 gig left, the D baby has 3.5 gig left, it's sister 3 left of 6 gig and the mother F has 56 gig left...... really must sort me'self out sometime??? Hehe.....:ugh:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Mar 2004, 03:01
Wing Commander Fowler,

It sounds like you might want to invest in a good DVD+/-RW and start burning all your stored data off of your Hard Drives. It is well worth the investment and your data would be better protected on DVD and CD Media than on a Hard Drive that could fail some time in the future. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Wing Commander Fowler
24th Mar 2004, 06:51
Thanks Richard - got me one (the one that has me "all wrapped up in chains"). Not sure if I have that fixed yet as I haven't tried a dvd copy since.

What happened to amanoffewwords reply by the way??? T'was there one minute gone the next!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Mar 2004, 16:47
Wing Commander Fowler,

I thought that problem was over? Lets get that fixed so you can offload all your data. :eek:

Take Care,

Richard

zoink
24th Mar 2004, 18:30
Wing Commander Fowler
The $NTUninstall folders are usually linked to service packs and updates from Microsoft. They should be retained if you ever need to back out an update or service pack!

Discussed here in a bit more detail!

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20806646.html

Z...

amanoffewwords
26th Mar 2004, 09:31
Slip of the finger Commander - I meant to delete another post in a different thread - when to bed with a doubt in my mind, which you confirmed..

My reply was in the same line as zoink's. Safe to delete as long as any patches you might have applied have been proven to work over a reasonable period of time.

Cheers
amofw