View Full Version : Cranwell Flying Club

Miserable Old Git
23rd Mar 2004, 13:06
Hi everyone,

I’ve had to bite the bullet and have been posted to a ground job for the first time ever. I’m off to lovely Cranditz and was wondering if anyone had any information about the flying club that was there in 1991 when I did IOT.

I have done a google search and can’t find anything useful. If anyone has some information about the club I would be very grateful.

Thanks

MOG

Miserable Old Git
23rd Mar 2004, 13:49
Thanks for the help Mike, I’ll keep looking.

Can’t stop and chat, I’ve got an oven to clean – God I hate March Outs

MOG

BEagle
23rd Mar 2004, 17:22
Revenge of the holding officers! After I'd done the pre-Vulcan Buccaneer lead-in course, I held at Biggin Hill. This had several advantages, one of them being a regular supply of chopped Fighter Control girls - but that's another story!

One of my tasks was to fill in for the Families Officer (before they became 'Estates Flight' :yuk: ) and do any necessary march-outs. So one day there I was with some jobsworth barrack warden in Mrs Wg Cdr Somebody's house to find Mrs Wg Cdr on her knees in rubber gloves (no, not what you think!) scrubbing away at the oven. "Ooh, sorry, I haven't managed to finish this yet", she said. The barrack warden's eyes gleamed with the prospect of how much he could charge her. "Don't worry - it's fine" quoth I. BW looked very pi$$ed off - especially when I also said that the coffee stains on the bedroom carpet were 'reasonable wear and tear', that the place was obviously overdue for a 're-dec' and that MPBW/DoE or whatever they were then called would need to do so before the next lucky occupant marched in! She couldn't believe her luck - but when you put holding aircrew in temporary blunty posts, you have to expect an outbreak of commonsense! Families Officer was quite cross when she got back, but then she had me confused with someone who gave a $hit about such archaic nonsense! Plus, as I reminded her, she was but a Plt Off!

Miserable Old Git
23rd Mar 2004, 17:56
I looked on the association web site, found some numbers and their very nice chairman gave me all the info I needed.

As far as the oven is concerned, I think I’ve managed to convince myself that it’s good enough now and if they charge me, well, to hell with it. Life is more important than scraping off tiny bits of black stuff with a Stanley knife.

Beegs, if you’d like to come out of retirement for a march out on Friday, you’d be very welcome. I can even get the much better looking half of the family to meet you at the door in rubber gloves.
:D

Grob Driver
24th Mar 2004, 09:31
Mog....

Check your PM's!!!

:ok:

Miserable Old Git
24th Mar 2004, 16:28
:D Guscabre
:D Grob driver – Please check your PMs

Once again thanks for the advice. I think I have all I need now.

Mike Jenvey. No chance of that here I’m afraid. Stuck in the middle of no-where. Can’t wait to come back to civilisation. :ugh: Cranwell:ugh:

SirToppamHat
24th Mar 2004, 18:32
MoG

I'm pretty sure all DHE Units have to have a cleaning scheme now; it is part of the 'contract'. You don't have to sign up for it, and the costs vary. (£150 at Medmenham, £250 her in Norfolk for example)

I should get in touch with the DHE Estates Office if I were you.

Regards

STH