PDA

View Full Version : Why has a thread vanished. Is Big Brother watching us ?

ickle black box
20th Jun 2001, 20:25
Why has thread 'Is this England or Pakistan?' just vansihed. Is the pprune server about to explode, or are we being secretly sensored ??

Answers here please, but only if they are 100% PC!

It was here

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum4/HTML/004417.html

[This message has been edited by ickle black box (edited 20 June 2001).]

PPRuNe Radar
20th Jun 2001, 22:39
It's been removed to the Admin area for review as we had some complaints of its racist undertones.

It might return depending on what the Admins consensus turns out to be...or it might not.

All covered in the 'rules' which we all signed up to.

------------------
PPRuNe Radar
ATC Forum Moderator
[email protected]

alosaurus
20th Jun 2001, 22:43
IBB your right this is being censored;I came across a sad site www.amigoingdown.com;mentioned (http://www.amigoingdown.com;mentioned) it here yesterday and its vanished.

McD
21st Jun 2001, 00:00
When a thread is moved or closed (even temporarily), it's funny how the first thing out of some people's mouth (or fingers, here??) is the word "censorship" (usually "screamed" with an accompanying red-faced icon).

Come on, people: There is a big difference between censorship and legal responsibility. Even with free speech, there are some things that simply can NOT be posted in public forums such as PPRuNE. If you think of every single legal system in every country which exercises free speech, you will also see penalties for libel, slander, etc.

As PPRuNe Radar points out, we all agreed to certain "rules" when we registered on PPRuNe. Where did these rules come from? Are they something that Danny and his troops simply dreamed up to "censor the people"? NO ... they are common rules to keep people inside the law -- most bulletin boards, ISPs, and other public media require the same rules to be followed.

Some posts are closed permanently when it is obvious a person has violated the "rules". If a post is questionable, but appears to violate the rules, it may be moved temporarily to the admin section where some of the more "legally-wise" admins can have a look. It may be restored, or it may be binned, depending on the legal ramifications of the content.

If the admins did not uphold the law, then this website would have been shut down a very long time ago. The admins are simply upholding their legal responsibility.

Capt PPRuNe
21st Jun 2001, 01:31
It has been removed because it violated the rules of PPRuNe and contained racist overtones. The originator has been banned and anyone else who tries to start up a similar thread will get the same treatment.

PPRuNe, including Jet Blast is for aviation professionals. If anyone want's to vent their racist venom they can find one of many other sites dedicated to their pathetic causes. It isn't going to happen on PPRuNe.

Anyone not happy with my decision is seriously advised to re-read the rules they agreed to when signing up and to count to ten before attempting to reply. I am not in the mood for a few petty xenophobes or closet racists to turn this or any other forum on PPRuNe into their own soapbox. If you feel that this is censorship then feel free to go to http://www.amnestyinternational.org (http://www.pprune.org/sodoff.gif) and make your complaints there.

I will not tolerate any ignorant, rednecked, white supremist crap on PPRuNe. You have been warned!

------------------
Capt PPRuNe
aka Danny Fyne
The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

[This message has been edited by Capt PPRuNe (edited 20 June 2001).]

RW-1
21st Jun 2001, 01:47
Danny,

I agree whole heartedly, but wish to ask, with all the other threads in Jet Blast, is it true that the thread referencing www.amigoingdown.com (http://www.amigoingdown.com) was removed for that site?

I would find that site's name tame compared to the other topics currently in JB.

Or was it for something else in that thread that Alosaurus mentioned ?
(I had not seen it, but have seen the site in question)

------------------
Marc

[This message has been edited by RW-1 (edited 20 June 2001).]

flapsforty
21st Jun 2001, 01:48
Very happy to read that I wasn't the only ppruner who got a queasy feeling from that particular thread.

------------------
Singularly Simple Person........

PPRuNe Radar
21st Jun 2001, 02:34
alosaurus

This may be teaching Grandma to suck eggs.....but, if you look down to the bottom right hand side of the page when selecting the JetBlast index you will sometimes see numbers. This indicates that there are further topics within your search preferences which are not displayed on the page in view.

As I found the topic you mentioned immediately using Search, I can assure you it is not closed, or moved, or censored. I can only suggest that it was maybe on Page 2 when you had your rant ??

RW-1

It's been there all along, use search if you ever need to find something quick. I used the keyword 'amigoingdown' and hey presto up it came as the first topic on my list.

------------------
PPRuNe Radar
ATC Forum Moderator
[email protected]

OzDude
21st Jun 2001, 02:50
:rolleyes: There are some really stupid 'kin idiots on here who manage to blab and whinge without bothering to RTF FAQ's on how to use the forums.

What, with them and the idiots who start threads like this wondering why the topic in question was moved in the first place! I just hope they stay in this forum and don't infest the rest of Pprune with their low level of intelligence.

Well done moderators for moving the kind of trash that started all this in the first place.

Sick Squid
21st Jun 2001, 03:25
Ickle Black Box, the thread and the racist language used on it was way beyond the pale. So yes, it's being censored, for all the reasons eloquently laid out above by the owner of the site and other moderators. If you don't like it go elsewhere. We don't help out on this site in our spare time for it to become a soapbox for bigots, particularly that most distateful of bigot, the one who dresses-up his racism with rationality.

Sick Squid
Rumours and News, Cabin Crew, and Far East Forum Moderator.

[This message has been edited by Sick Squid (edited 20 June 2001).]

Winston Smith
21st Jun 2001, 04:19
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to read any posts after 10:45 UTC, so I do not know if the tone got "nasty" after that time. But at any rate, don't you think that editing-out of too "incorrect" remarks (or erasing of a whole post, at the worst) would have been more appropriate, instead of deleting the entire thread?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">"[...] particularly that most distateful of bigot, the one who dresses-up his racism with rationality."</font>

Am I correct to understand that you, given the choice between an unthinking "bigot" and one who honestly believes to have sound reasons for his opinions, prefer the first one?

Sick Squid
21st Jun 2001, 04:34
We can argue semantics all night, mate, but I am not going to glorify this subject by taking your bait on it. Fact is, the thread has gone, the views are repellent however they are portrayed. Leave it at that, and move on.

Sick Squid
Rumours and News, Cabin Crew and Far East Forum Moderator.

Capt PPRuNe
21st Jun 2001, 05:24
What bit about <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Anyone not happy with my decision is seriously advised to re-read the rules they agreed to when signing up and to count to ten before attempting to reply. I am not in the mood for a few petty xenophobes or closet racists to turn this or any other forum on PPRuNe into their own soapbox. If you feel that this is censorship then feel free to go to http://www.amnestyinternational.org (http://www.pprune.org/sodoff.gif) and make your complaints there.</font> don't some of you understand?

------------------
Capt PPRuNe
aka Danny Fyne
The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

Winston Smith
21st Jun 2001, 14:07
Roger, I read you 5.

RW-1
22nd Jun 2001, 02:25
Sorry Radar,

I am familiar with the forum and had not considered a search. (I do web hosting support full time to support my heli training :) )

My question on the face of it was more to that I did not believe that that site (amigoingdown.com)was too far gone for censorship by PPRune, so when Alo made referance it its dissapearance ... Obviously it either moved off the first page, or it was within the thread on pakistan (that I never saw, and won't miss by the sound of it) that was removed. Should have checked first.

I've no issues with what has been removed and why. Keep up the good work!

------------------
Marc