PDA

View Full Version : Pearl King Air Landing Mishap

Dog One
23rd Mar 2004, 08:33
Just heard that a Pearl Aero Medical King Air had the left undercarriage leg collapse whilst landing RW29 at YPDN. No injuries to either the pilot or the nurse. Runway closed and one QF diverted into Tindal.

These things happen, glad no one was injured.

kiki
23rd Mar 2004, 13:27
I heard most of it on the radio, da pilot handled it well in my opinon.

Wirraway
23rd Mar 2004, 15:46
Wed "Northern Territory News"

Crash delays flights
By ALICE BURTON
March 24, 2004

A pilot belly-landed an aircraft at Darwin International Airport yesterday when its undercarriage failed to lock down.

One side of the plane collapsed on touchdown about 12.30pm.

The pilot of the Pearl Aviation King Air twin-engine aircraft, with one passenger on board, escaped unhurt.

They were shaken but not injured. Airport Fire Service officers and St John Ambulance attended the scene.

Several Qantas flights were disrupted by the incident.

One Boeing 737 flight from Brisbane was forced to land on a secondary runway, which is used by light aircraft.

A Boeing 737 jet en route to Darwin from Alice Springs was diverted to Tindal RAAF Base in Katherine. Fire and Rescue assistant chief of operations Robert Naumann said the back left wheel of the plane failed.

``They were coming into land and the plane belly-landed,'' he said.

``It actually tipped over and ran along on its wing and undercarriage. The plane remained on the runway for some time before being towed away.''

Darwin International Airport acting chief executive Tom Ganley said several Qantas flights were delayed because of the accident.

He said one aircraft landed on the airport's secondary runway.

Pearl Aviation spokesman Karl Bader said the incident was being investigated.

Northern Territory News

============================================

Desert Dingo
23rd Mar 2004, 19:37
And here was me thinking for all these years that a belly landing was when you landed with all wheels retracted.
Journalists :yuk:

Fred Gassit
23rd Mar 2004, 23:03
That particular publication is leading the media race towards ever more low brow "infotainment"

Towering Q
24th Mar 2004, 02:49
Glad it wasn't the 'front' left wheel that failed.;)

maxgrad
24th Mar 2004, 09:26
or the engines stalled.

It always amazes me that even after interviewing a professional of the subject field, they still print utter b@#L SH!t.

Very good to hear the crew were OK and I hear the pilot handled the whole thing with skill :ok:

(does this come under the: any landing you can walk away from is a good one category?)

Boomerang
24th Mar 2004, 11:09
Now the bit everyone has skipped: "He said one aircraft landed on the airport's secondary runway."

My secondhand info (sorry, was out flying at the time) is that that aircraft was a QF 737, forced to land due to low fuel. I imagine that would have been pretty challenging. I don't know the performance figures for the aircraft or the length of 18/36 off the top of my head ,but it sounds like the crew deserve a pat on the back.

Richo
24th Mar 2004, 11:48
Hi Boomer

There has been 737s on 36 a few times in the past.

As long as they can get the company and pavement concessions its not a problem.
Last time I saw one was during the UN herc runway blockage. This particular 73 crew arranged the appropriate concessions from a ways out and did'nt need to divert to TN. Made a great view from the car yard at the old Shell airport gates, and I bet any drivers turing of Stuart Hwy into Winnellie would have got quite a shock right at that moment.

the wizard of auz
24th Mar 2004, 11:57
NT news, strewth, its a wonder the headline didn't read Croc on runway causes wheels up landing. and then bulk up the story with great lines like seconds from death, engine stalled and possibly caused gear malfunction, blah blah blah.
:rolleyes:

Pharcarnell
25th Mar 2004, 01:24
Great minds with similar thoughts!
Had a terrible premonition that "August Publication" may be turning into a respectable rag.
HaH!
Front page story and not a croc in sight. Still, the journalism didn't let us down, turned into a crock of ****e, with the odd smattering of facts just so it wasn't a total work of fiction.

The Voice
25th Mar 2004, 04:26
well at least a mayday call or beacon wasn't heard by AS tower as in one fine piece of journalistic art actually printed a few years ago ..

(The acft was in distress in the middle of nowhere NT)