PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Run Setup via CD-ROM

Bo Nalls
22nd Mar 2004, 18:55
I have 3 PC's in the house, all having the same hardware and OS (Win XP Home). 2 of the 3 PC's will run programs OK, but the 3rd, my daughters, will not run 'setup' files from the CD-ROM. The CD and CD player are working OK as I can access the CD directory and files such as .doc, .txt, .jpg etc. It is only the setup file which refuses to run.

The same discs run OK in the other machines and I have even swapped around the CD drives - my daughters drive works OK in another machine.

Anyone know if my daughter could have changed a setting in windows xp which stops .exe files from running? Maybe a security setting somewhere?

Many thanks in advance

BTW, I am logged on to the duff PC as an administrator.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Mar 2004, 19:22
Bo Nalls,

As a test, copy all the files to the hard drive and then try to install from there. Lets see if the problem is software or hardware related.

Take Care,

Richard

Bo Nalls
22nd Mar 2004, 19:59
OK, I've done that and still no luck :confused:

Interestingly, when attempting to run programs Windows Task Manager shows the program as running. If I attempt to run it 3 times then I will get 3 programs running in Windows Task Manager, but still I fail to gain access to the program??

I have tried right clicking the program and selecting "Run As.." and a window pops up with a check box labelled "Protect My Computer From Unauthorized Program Activity". However, deselecting this check box still fails to allow the program to run!

I have even set up a second user account in my name, again with full admin privaliges, and programs still refuse to work.

I am now at a total loss as to what to do next.

Saab Dastard
22nd Mar 2004, 20:23
Bo Nalls,

The W32.Sircam.Worm@mm worm virus can cause this issue.

See the following MS Knowledgebase article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311446&Product=winxp)

SD

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Mar 2004, 20:34
Bo Nalls,

Your problem is software related. I would run both:

Trend Micro's HouseCall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/)

Lavasoft's Adaware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/)

To make sure your daughter's computer is not full of viruses and malware.

Take Care,

Richard

rickity
22nd Mar 2004, 21:26
this may be of some help, I had a similar problem when running a setup file. I could see it the program in task manager but nothing on the screen. After much clutching at straws I found the set up window by upping the screen resolution to the max. For some reason the setup was opening a window way off screen when in 600x800. but visible therefore able to select continue when set to 1028x768. on completion of the setup reset the resolution to 600x800 and all was ok.

Good luck

Rickity

Bo Nalls
22nd Mar 2004, 21:47
Problem Solved :O :O :O

Daughter had downloaded Kazaa which installed, amongst many things, a program called wupdate.exe (spyware). This program was hanging and on PC shut-down was throwing up an error message.

Further investigation revealed that if I shut down wupdate.exe via Task Manager then there was no problem at all loading programs.

So, a bit of re-booting via safe mode, a bit of file deleting, registry pruning and removal from windows start-up routine via msconfig got things sorted.

Daughter has also been given a flea in the ear about downloading programs from the internet :ouch: :ouch: and perhaps I should cost out 3 hours of my time as well. :hmm:

Many thanks to all who replied :ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Mar 2004, 21:58
Bo Nalls,

Glad to hear you are all set. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard