PDA

View Full Version : Widebody Freight start-up

LanFranc
22nd Mar 2004, 15:29
Anyone heard of a widebody freight start-up somewhere in the N.E.?

galaxy flyer
9th Apr 2004, 00:55
Yes, it is going to be based at Pease/Portsmouth, NH flying C-17s. I hear AMC is going to give up delivery positions at Boeing Long Beach to give this start-up its planes. Looking for ex-mil heavy jet drivers.

I heard a presentation from one of the employees last weekend--to say it seemed too good to be true is an understatement. Profitable from the start--that will be a first in avaiation. Pay at 175,000/yr for captains is waaay overboard!! Paying cash for planes from cashflow after the 14th delivery, please I wasn't born last night.

Overall, interesting, but I wouldn't invest my retirement or yours...but I was around when that was said by hundreds of pilots about a stupid guy from Little Rock with startup freight company that flew all their cargo to a central hub each night. Guy's name--Fred Smith. The airline---FedEx, of course.

Just one opinion from a guy with 35 years around the industry.

GF

davidkahn28
18th Apr 2004, 02:02
What is the name of this start-up?

Bingo Bango Bongo
22nd Apr 2004, 15:56
gf,

Are they also looking at civilian pilots? Any idea when they start flying, who to contact?

galaxy flyer
24th Apr 2004, 07:20
Hey Guys:

I've been in OZ for two weeks and haven't been in touch with the details.

I don't now about startup date,at one point is was July, but AMC has to give up the C17 deliveries. I'll post more details when I return
GF

Ignition Override
27th Apr 2004, 05:17
Galaxy Flyer's comments reminded me of the time when UPS was ready to start its very own flight operations back in '88 or '89 (?). The rumours were that it would pay about the same as United, and so tons of applications were mailed in.

Why would any upstart company pay much more than what pilots will accept in the present bleak situation? Look at how Atlas started-it wanted former military pilots and FEs who were retired, so that they would already have a steady income, which would merely subsidize the unbelievably low pay at Atlas. That might be the main reason why such companies always prefer retired military types etc, plus the fact that they have no experience with unions... promises don't work out that often in this industry, and can't support a family. :=

galaxy flyer
29th Apr 2004, 01:59
I'm baack!!

OZ was wonderful, wish I were 23 again!!

The operation is Cargo Force, looking for ex-military, preferable C-17 drivers. They are plentiful, me thinks. I.O. is right, this sounds like UPS in the early days.

Captain pay is supposed to be 175K and F/O at 125K. Certainly far more than they need to pay to get pilots. No retirement beyond 401k; two straight weeks flying, one week OFF and one week "training", whatever that is. Plans to do postal contracts first and expand into nuclear waste transport.

"Excuse me Cappy, did you remember your lead-lined hat and jacket?"

Too good to be true, yes, but you never know. Hope dies slowly in the airman's breast.

GF

Bingo Bango Bongo
3rd May 2004, 01:01
GF,

Google search doesn't turn up anything. Do you have contact details?

Bing

galaxy flyer
3rd May 2004, 01:44
B3:

The worthies and n'er do wells in my squadron are all over this "start-up", some having swilled the Kool-aid by the bucket. I'll try to post something with contacts in the next few days.

They do have employees (reported to be 40) who are working on start-up details and the company is supposed to be signing up for C-17s late summer.

GF

411A
3rd May 2004, 02:58
All very interesting, but in order to be a civil opertator, you need to have a civil type.
Is the C-17 thus...officially?:confused: