PDA

View Full Version : Why does SAA still have callsign "SPRINGBOK"

EX BLUE STORK
22nd Mar 2004, 14:50
Recently flying up the east coast of Vietnam at 7am in the morning heard SPRINGBOK 287 HKG-JNB a bit late as usual:only 7 hours.I was wondering why the South African Rugby Team has been stripped of the Springbok,but this once great/proud airline had it's Springbok removed from the tail somewhere back in 1994/5 but still flies with the call sign of "springbok".I would have thought a moreappropiate call sign of "RAINBOW OR CRIME NATION" would be more likely.

Rhodie
22nd Mar 2004, 16:57
Ex Blue - or soon to be...

I do hope your post is made in good humour.....:suspect:

If not, I must tell you that you are on dodgy ground here..

Yeah, we have had the attempts to change things - and indeed many things have changed... some of us here don't even know the region we live in anymore - the names have changed so much that visiting an old friend in another province now needs a new road map..

Can you imagine if every new government in your country changed the names of states and suburbs and roads at whim..? :mad:

No, didn't think you would put up with it - but, NO-ONE messes with our Springbok...!!!

Oh, by the way - your schedule's ALWAYS run on time..?? No, didn't think so... :*

Cheers

R

22nd Mar 2004, 17:45
Yeah Rhodie, you tell him!

I had to look up where Polokwane is after this story with the B727 in Zim. Never heard of the place until the other day. Found out its Pietersburg!!

I thought a mate of mine moved town when I heard he lived in Twane. Meanwhile he's still where he always was. Lekker ou Pretoria!

Sincerely hope that the "Springbok" callsign survives the latest onslaught on eradicating the past.

captaincrunchie
22nd Mar 2004, 21:55
If, for some reason these guys see the need to change the SAA call sign to something else.......then I would suggest something like: NOSTALGIC 287 or MEMORIES 287.

Although the country has had a turbulent past - we should never forget the glory days of SAA (spoories). Blood sweet and tears shed by guys like you and me, just to keep the airline running against impossible odds.

Mmmmm, I like that NOSTALGIC 287. Much beter than NEXT-TIME!

CC

22nd Mar 2004, 22:59
Your handle seems to imply that you were once anything but EX! Personally, I fickin' doubt it! Cant!

RUDAS
23rd Mar 2004, 09:43
It would be a crying shame to change the Sprigbok callsign!

Dont even suggest it! at the rate names are being mutilated around here,i wouldn't put it past the authorities!

(I could envisage the callsign "Gravy Train" though for the new 737-700 belonging to our esteemed diplomatic corps however).:*

B Sousa
23rd Mar 2004, 12:53
We could start a context for the name change.. Its overdue but dont tell Mr Imbecki....
Lets see ......."Werfetter Airlines" .......No.. Maybe "Big Combi"
Times are going to change, you can laugh at it or get depressed. Best to look forward..........
Rhodie.....Whadda ya think.....

skyvan
23rd Mar 2004, 18:32
The callsign Springbok, like Speedbird, Clipper, and countless others (mainly lost in mergers and liquidations) were assigned when airlines were the playthings of the rich, and a symbol of a countries pride.

As one of the last two remaining airlines with a historic link to our callsign, it would be a great pity to let it disappear in the name of political correctness.

Sorry Ex-blue stork, you remind me of the taxi driver taking us to LHR a while ago, complaining because we still use the same terminal as we always have, while all his other rides use the newer ones. He did not understand that as the airline with the second longest unbroken service to that airport, it is a point of pride that we use that terminal, the same reason why we are proud to call ourselves Springbok....We have earned it!!

Mike Blackburn
23rd Mar 2004, 19:36
Hear hear Skyvan. Maybe the powers that be have not noticed that Springbok is still the SAA call sign. Of course, since so many media types read PPrune, I am sure that before long, there will be media coverage of the (not widely known) fact that SAA still uses Springbok. This will no doubt precipitate a rush of vote grabbing name-changing fever to emanate from those who have power.....
Ah, it is great to be a cynic!

Long live (Fly) the Springbok

Rhodie
23rd Mar 2004, 20:19
Hey Ex Blew Stalk

See what I mean...??

We go through a lot here, but we all still have pride in the symbols that we built..

We may not agree with things always, we may not think the carrier is 'up there' at the same level it used to be ('scuse the pun..) and we may not think the management could find their @ss with a mirror (I think that was one of yours, Bert), but you don't demolish the building because the tenant can't change a light bulb...

Ah, Bert, Rudas - when the naming game was on with SAA (what DID happen to the results..?) I think I might have sent an 'anon' entry for Imbeki's folly, being the "Gravy Plane", to match, of course, the train..... :E

Ah well - I think him and Mad Bob are probably discussing the interior decorations for the 727 which Bob will probably sieze... :mad:

I hear hunting season is open on Storks.... :ouch:

Cheers

R

freightboss
24th Mar 2004, 05:51
Yes, of course we are proud of our heritage and history.

But me thinks that the "Springbok" callsign, and "Speedbird", and all other company specific callsigns has to be designated by IATA. The same goes for the prefix used for the flightnumbers, SA, BA, CX or EK. These prefixes are designated by ICAO.

So its not as easy as one would think to change a prefix or callsign.

Thanks for small mercies.....

square leg
24th Mar 2004, 08:01
The best callsign in the world is "Springbok" or as some say "Springbuck".

bigmanatc
24th Mar 2004, 12:00
I`m Bok bef_k......don`t mess with our callsign. Got me a 12 gauge and going stork hunting....:*

Rat Catcher
25th Mar 2004, 13:50
Hey Ex Blue Stork
Sounds to me like your question has been loudly answered and you could probably get a more "personal response" should any of these guys "bump" into you!:ok: :ok: :ok: :}

nosefirsteverytime
25th Mar 2004, 16:14
Sorry to sound thick, but I'm a young whipper-snapper, I was watching Transformers when SA was in the news. What's wrong with springbok anyways?

Rhodie
25th Mar 2004, 22:14
I see nothing heard after EBS post No:1.... :ouch:

Love it - no more

B.... S..... :E

Cheers

R

:ok:

square leg
26th Mar 2004, 09:23
... or as some say: "Shhprrrringbohck Tooo Sehven Fuhve"

Goldfish Jack
26th Mar 2004, 19:52
And we still call them "yellow tails" even though the tails are no longer orange!!!

ps Freightboss those 2 letter callsigns were changed by ICAO about 15 yeas ago to 3 letter designators. It is IATA that still uses 2 letter designators.

Some things change and others doesn't. Castle can still be a good beer!!!!