PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Groundschool Brush-up, what to expect?

mattd2k
22nd Mar 2004, 12:34
Hi all,

This question is aimed at those who have either finished their GS with Bristol or have already completed Module 1.

I am booked on their May Brush-up course and want to know I can expect from it? I know that it is going to be an extremely intense two weeks :8 with late nights every night doing homework, but exactly what is the format of the course? Is it just spent going over past papers or are there specific revision classes?

Thanks everyone,
Matt

FlyingForFun
22nd Mar 2004, 13:32
It varies, from subject to subject, depending on what is most effective for each subject. For some subjects, you will spend most of the time reviewing the notes. For others, you will spend most of the time on feedback papers - although these subjects are mostly in Mod 2.

Try not to make plans for the weekend in the middle. I made plans, and struggled to complete all the work - only managed to do it all by making good use of my time in the service station on the way home waiting for the traffic to clear, rather than being stuck in the traffic in my car - time was tight enough that if I'd stayed in the car in the traffic I wouldn't have got everything done!

FFF
--------------

silverknapper
22nd Mar 2004, 16:00
Agree with FFF 100%. Module 1 brush up is exceptionally hard work. You will receive lectures on the difficult subjects. The easier ones you get feedback on then problems are debriefed.
All I would say is don't worry, I was bricking it before I went down but you come back really psyched up for the exam and know things you don't even realise you know.

SK

mattd2k
22nd Mar 2004, 17:56
FFF & SK,

Thanks for your speedy replies.

I'm under no disillusion that it is going to be an easy couple of weeks and am glad of the feedback papers being used. I always found this method useful when studying for my A-levels and degree, especially for math-based questions.

I am hoping they don’t set too much homework for the middle weekend as I hope to catch up with friends in Bristol having been in Florida since November.

One question I forgot to ask earlier, do they make any suggestions for revision during the exam week after the brush-up?

Cheers,
MD2K

silverknapper
22nd Mar 2004, 21:44
They don't give any explicit set work for exam week but you won't be short of questions to work through.
The middle weekend.....well depends on you really.If you work hard all week you could probably spare a day and evening. Some guys do, some don't. It will help to chill out though so look on it as a reward, work your ass off all week and have a couple at the weekend.

Stop worrying

SK

buzzc152
23rd Mar 2004, 21:06
I'd advise against the weekend away. Take time out by all means, half a day to see cheddar gorge perhaps (you know BGS have moved from Bristol AIrport ?).

There is a LOT of work to get through.... and falling behind even for a day is bad news. I found I needed nearly all that weekend to stay on top of things. My daily routine was to take a 45 min cycle once back at the B&B.... have a bit of dinner then hit the books till bedtime (usually about midnight). I took a hlaf day on saturday to go for a long cycle and then a few hours in the pub on sat evening.

But, it's down to the individual I guess.

Buzz

ps, I'm on the May brush up too (mod 2). PM me if you like.

FlyingForFun
24th Mar 2004, 08:26
You know BGS have moved from Bristol AIrport?No, I didn't know that! Where are they now? (Purely out of general interest, because I've finished the exams and I'm not planning on doing them again!)

FFF
-------------

Dick Whittingham
24th Mar 2004, 09:09
BGS Move

We have indeed moved off the airport to Cheddar. The airport needed our space for re-development.

New Details:

Bristol Groundschool
Lower New Road
Cheddar
BS27 3DY

Tel 01934 744944.

There is a Multimap link on our Student to Student Forum.

Not surprisingly, there remain some small internet and telecoms glitches and we have the usual post and mx forwarding in place.

Dick W