Try and find THIS one anywhere:
IE 6, all updated and patched.
WinXP Home, all updated and patched.
P-IV 512 Megs RAM
No Spyware
DirectX updated
Script Engine re-loaded
ALL Drivers re-checked: Video, Touchpad, etc

Whenever I click ANYWHERE on IE, it freezes. I get "Not responding". I can tab and type through the IE fine but if I use the mouse it locks up.

Windows Explorer works fine browsing that way (they are the same program but a few things work different on them..just IE is the issue)

All other programs work fine with the mouse.

I get a few "Not responding" when trying to reboot or shut down of various programs.

Unable to "Roll-Back" too but that may be a different issue.

NO SUCCESS locating help anywhere for this specific problem.

Richard? Anyone? HELP PLEASE!! This is NUTS!

amanoffewwords
22nd Mar 2004, 06:51
You don't mention whether you did an on-line virus check - the TrendMicro or maybe (my preferred) the Norton one. But I'd guess you did or have an updated AV loaded.

And a scandisk/defrag might help.

Did you try an uninstall/re-install of IE?

It probably would be useful to know what processes are running when the freeze occurs (assuming the keyboard doesn't lock up too).

What other programs are "not responding"?

amowf

nb: What do you mean by "Script Engine re-loaded" ?

Timothy
22nd Mar 2004, 07:25
My father-in-law's computer did exactly the same. He had W98 and whatever version of IE that came with that (5.0.n.n.n).

I updated him to latest 6.0 plus SPs, did a Windows Update, did a Virus Scan (having got the latest definitions), scoured the Internet for other solutions and implemented them all (including changes to system.ini and Config.sys) and, after many many hours I gave up and installed Opera.

If you find the answer I would love to know it.

Timothy

Ray Darr
22nd Mar 2004, 14:41
I just discovered that AdSubtract Pro was the reason IE was crashing. I just closed AdSubtract and have had no issues using the mouse within web-pages.

Strange, but true :ooh:

Thanks for your thoughts and replies, though. Wish this wasn't the cause :{ - it is a great program!

Cheers.

fobotcso
22nd Mar 2004, 14:59
Well done to sort it :ok: And the Fix" you found may be of use to others.

One thing. You said:Windows Explorer works fine browsing that way (they are the same program but a few things work different on them..just IE is the issue)

Not quite.

You'll find "explorer.exe" in C: \Windows and "iexplore.exe" in C: \Program Files\Internet Explorer.

The versions and sizes respectively on my up-to-date XP Pro machines are:

6.0.2800.1221 and 973kb, and

6.0.2800.1106 and 89kb.

BTW, a similar problem hit me recently with a Blue Screen crash whenever I opened the excellent shareware GPS Utility Application. The solution was to shutdown ZoneAlarm Pro while I wanted to use the GPSU. This showed up in Event Viewer as a Truevector malfunction. Always a good idea to keep an eye on the Event Viewer to help diagnosis. You'll find it in:

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Mar 2004, 18:58
Ray Darr,

Glad to hear you already solved the problem before I even had a chance to read the thread. Well Done! :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

Timothy
22nd Mar 2004, 20:41
it is a great program!Take heart, there are plenty of other equally good things out there. I find that the combination of the Google Toolbar (http://toolbar.google.com/) and SpyBot (http://www.safer-networking.org/) mean that I never get bothered by popups, Ads, spyware or any of that stuff.

Timothy

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Mar 2004, 21:57
Timothy,

The only thing I do not like about using a popup blocker is that it can mask a possible malware problem on a computer.

If they are going to use it, they need to check with Spybot or Adaware at least once a week. They cannot get lazy.

Take Care,

Richard

Ray Darr
23rd Mar 2004, 05:11
Hi all. I am thankful the AdSubtract issue is cured. WHAT a HEADACHE!!

Spybot, AdAware, SpySubtract, AntiVirus AutoProtect, Full System Scans twice a week....whew! All this required work takes its toll IF you don't to these! (I do ALL of these, regularly, and have had ONE virus since 1981!! And THAT was caught with a full system scan before any damage was done. Luck? Partly. Vigilant / paranoid? Somewhat. But the results speak for themselves.)

Any thoughts on Google's information gathering when using their toolbar?

Thanks for all the efforts on this matter. Hope someone else can learn from my experience, too.

Cheers.