View Full Version : Sharing Hotel Rooms On a Trip

teanosugar
21st Mar 2004, 19:44
My flatmate who works for a charter company has been told the crew have to 'buddy up' on a 7 day trip with 3 shuttles owing to the hotel being full for the next 3 weeks, the company have promised some money credited to their bank account but not how much.
She feels uncomfortable about sharing with another especially with sleep patterns, anybody had this before.
My scheduled airline would hopefully not allow this.....any opinions.

c.r.m what is it
21st Mar 2004, 21:46
I can understand were your flat mate is coming from, i know it is a different world, but when i was working for saudia we had to do it alot, and it's not nice, especially if you end up with someone you don't like. The scheduled airline i work for avoids it as much as they can, but if the worse comes to the worse they pay about £15-20 per night!!!

Hostie from Hell
21st Mar 2004, 22:06
IMHO

Its a no no!

Airlines should not put crew in this position:suspect:

qfmike737
22nd Mar 2004, 02:24
Try sharing a sleeper in a train on a 5 day trip. 3 crew per sleeper aka tiny rattling matchbox!

Is it possible to tell the airline you work for that you have a home you can stay at on certain layovers so that you dont need to stay in the hotel? I've heard in the past with some ex ansett crew they were able to get some type of allowance for staying somewhere else during their layovers.

Q-Tee
22nd Mar 2004, 12:33
Well, yep at Qantas we share in-flight crew rest ---- up to eight of us in the stuffy crew bunks in the butt-end of the 747.

However, there would never be any occasion (or excuse) for crew sharing overnight hotel rooms.

Crew have been moved into private hospital rooms in the past - during emergency situations --- rather than them sharing hotel rooms .... It could not possibly happen .. hotel conditions are governed by our EBA. If a hotel cant meet our requirements on the day ... we have to move to a hotel that can.

For those guys that do share hotel rooms ....

do you ever have to share with the opposite sex?

Have you thought of anti-harrassment laws?

Or thought of quitting?

I mean - Jeez!!!!!! It aint right, we may be 'just crew', but we are certainly entitled to our privacy :*

redfred
22nd Mar 2004, 18:26
Would refuse to go if it was me, unions would not allow it in the UK

gallie girl
24th Mar 2004, 05:31
no way would i be doing that.. we could claim "hard lying allowance" if that was the case, which you would then receive some kind of money, can't even remember how much. i did hear a few times that it did happen back when i was flying but very rarely and it was only when the hotel over booked and crew didn't find out until they arrived late at night that they would have to share, most of the time alternative arrangements at another hotel would be made. qfmike737 is right, Ansett use to have an allowance where if you provided your own accom you would get about 50 AUD i think from memory. Basically you freeload of rels or friends.

The union here in AUS a very strict on this .. worth checking award or agreement. :-}

pinkaroo
24th Mar 2004, 07:59
Teanosugar, Name and shame time. It's Monarch ! This is the same company which recently ran a promotion course for number 1's and has a vacancy for promotion on the A300/320/321/330 fleet with five qualified crew from the same course and they are taking a crew member from the same course as the five but who is qualified on the 757 fleet and training her for three days rather than just giving the two check rides to one of the five. Good morale boosting practise and money well spent. Not ! Classic Monarch management by who you know.

hapzim
24th Mar 2004, 10:00
This has come about in BAH due to the Grand Prix. 40000 visitors expected only 29000 beds. No other bed stock to even consider using over the weekend. Could always go back to Baku. Lets hope for no tech probs with 300+ pax to house. :ooh:

fourplay
12th Apr 2004, 02:47
Memories...

Saudi Arabian Airlines contract through Qatar Airways 1998.

We shared 4/5 star hotel rooms down route, it was fun because we were mostly all good friends flying in the same teams constantly.
Only problem was if a new person you did not like so much came into being due to illness of another crew member.

I have to tell this story, it will horrify the girls sorry...

This Egyptian boy who I got stuck with at this deluxe hotel in KL had not had sex for months and was in a bad way.
He went straight out and got a local working girl, brought her back to the room, thinking I was asleep gave her one in the hallway on the floor...all over in less than 2 mins thankfully.
I could not believe it,
That is the down side of sharing.

I personally do not have a problem with the idea of share hotel rooms if it meant a job flying again on a decent salary.
Would rather share in a 4/5 star room than single accom in a dump!

sixmilehighclub
12th Apr 2004, 11:34
I used to work for a lo-cost and we started doing IBZ split duties.
Landing around 2330, leaving at 0600 the next day.

We were told my management that due to it being high season, they could not get hotels.

So all 5 crew slept on the aircraft. Imagine a noisy GPU running all night, doors cracked open warm air coming in, no shower facilities and shops in the terminals closed. This was the only flight given crew meals for breakfast, but usually no refridgeration, ice box was used for this) and not all a/c had ovens!! We all were given a blanket though which had to be checked back in the next day. (!!) We got three extra sector payments for it. I started taking a walkman to block out the noise.

So imagine how annoyed I was when I left the airline and purely by chance spoke to the company who used to book our hotels. Apparantly the airline was offered rooms, to cover two crews nightstopping, only 15 mins from the airport, and included a hire car as transfer. I was also told it worked out about £3 per crew member more than our additional sector payments. Yet it was never offered to us!! Either it was beancounting or fear of 10 crew making their way to Manumission or Cafe del Mar and turning up drunk on duty?

I think that any airline operating crew nightstops and slips that know they will be operating to a certain destination should plan ahead and book hotels well in advance.

If all else fails, you have three options:

1- Grab a bottle and settle in with your roommate for the night.
2- Stay up all night in the bar chatting up the receptionist or barman.
3- Tell the other crew you have really bad flatulence, have overactive sweat glands when sleeping and are having councelling for your snoring and sleep talking problems.

Et viola, problem solved!!

Six :ok: