PDA

View Full Version : IRQ changes in XP Pro

PretoriaSillyperson
21st Mar 2004, 18:26
Hi gang,

Thanks to Richard at Naples I now know all about a tricky problem I have with my PC. I now need to change a couple of IRQs and in Dev. Mananger the "Settings Based On" and "Change Settings" boxes are blanked out - i.e. I can't click on them and change my IRQs. There are IRQs free - the usual one at 5 and also a couple of others so there's no dramas there - I just need to know how to enable the above check box(es).

Thank you,

PSP

And especially - thank you to Richard - thanks, chief!

PSP

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Mar 2004, 18:56
PretoriaSillyperson,

Your best option would be to go in the BIOS and set the IRQ on the PCI Slot.

Take Care,

Richard

PretoriaSillyperson
21st Mar 2004, 19:28
Hmm...I've tried rebooting 5 times (warm and cold) and F2 isn't stopping the load-up of XP. I'm certain F2 is the way to the BIOS on this PC! Eek!

PSP

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Mar 2004, 19:53
PretoriaSillyperson,

Depending on the BIOS it could be the Delete Key, the F2 Key, the F10 Key, or the F12 Key.

Take Care,

Richard

Saab Dastard
21st Mar 2004, 22:40
When all else fails, I can usually access the BIOS by holding down loads of keys at power up - computer thinks there's a keyboard problem and offers up the choice of accessing the BIOS.

Doesn't always work, but mostly does.

SD

PretoriaSillyperson
22nd Mar 2004, 09:56
Hi, gents.

I got into the BIOS (it was "delete"!) and changed the PnP settings to manual which has opened up the check box for the IRQ settings - I want to move the ESS Maestro sound card to IRQ 5.

When I click on Change Settings I'm told:

"The resource setting cannot be modified in this configuration"

So I try the only other - ascribed - configs (0000 and 0001) but the message above still applies. It wasn't like this in 98! Still, at least I didn't buy ME. Mind you, I didn't buy XP either:D

Thanks,

PSP
London

PPRuNe Pop
22nd Mar 2004, 16:17
If Richard recalls, I had exactly the same problem. BIOS will not let you change the IRQ 5. It is stubbornly wrong but IT is right it seems.

I have also checked it on two other machines operating with XP Pro and Home and it is the same story. So there ya go.:{

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Mar 2004, 19:11
PretoriaSillyperson,

If the sound card is a PCI Card, you should try either PCI Slot 4 or PCI Slot 3.

Without the motherboard details it is hard to give more specific details.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. PPRuNe Pop, how could I forget? ;)

PretoriaSillyperson
22nd Mar 2004, 19:51
Hi, Richard.

Once I've moved the PCI s. card, am I correct in the assumption that XP will detect the new hardware so I can simply point the driver loader to the drivers current location? Actually, on the other hand, I guess it could simply carry on working as it does now after the BIOS has auto configured the IRQs with PnP.

I think the problem is down to a USB broad modem I recently began using which XP has added IRQ11 - as per Snag It of last week.

Thanks.

PSP

PPRuNe Pop - I'm 15nm North of LGW (Coulsdon) - I bet you can hear me screaming with frustration at the arrogance of XP telling me I can't change my IRQs!

Yours Aye,

PSP

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Mar 2004, 20:29
PretoriaSillyperson,

When you move the PCI Card, WinXP will detect it and add the drivers for it.

Take Care,

Richard

Saab Dastard
23rd Mar 2004, 10:35
PSP,

Just adding to what Richard has suggested, I would recommend that you uninstall the card(s) you are going to remove in device manager, then shut down the PC and physically extract the card(s).

This will prevent the system holding resources and preventing you from shifting IRQs.

SD

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Mar 2004, 17:00
Saab Dastard,

Excellent Point. :ok:

Richard