PDA

View Full Version : Ybcs Rwy 15 Ils

yawskidball
21st Mar 2004, 09:41
Does established on the glideslope ever infringe on the LLZ steps at any stage of the approach?

Capt Fathom
21st Mar 2004, 10:02
If you mean...does the Glideslope go below the LLZ/DME Approach 'Not Below Altitudes', the answer is no. Otherwise you may have to rephrase your question!

OzExpat
21st Mar 2004, 10:22
And what if it does? :confused: The protection area for a precision approach is quite different to that for a non-precision approach.

Tinstaafl
21st Mar 2004, 14:59
Yes... They're two wholly separate approaches. That they just happen to share the localiser beam is irrelevent. Limitations for one aren't necessarily limitations for the other.

Just re-read my post & realised it could be confusing. That's 'Yes..' as in 'Yes, I agree with Oz... :O

DirectAnywhere
21st Mar 2004, 20:56
No!

If anyone's got a homepage pls. let me know as I've got a copy of the vertical profile but can't post it.

yawskidball
22nd Mar 2004, 08:22
Thank you all for the answers and I'm sure if I had the vertical profile from DirectAnywhere it would clear the smoke well and truly especially on the D8.0 LLZ Step Not Below 2900'.

The ideal altitude to be at 8.0 DME would be 2894'~2900' ((8-2.8)320+1230).However if you were halfscale below glideslope(within tolerance) you would be 280'(35'x 8 DME) below 2900'. How much terrain clearance would you be assured at this point if say on a 747 with the antenna and undercarriage in different places?

Capt Fathom
22nd Mar 2004, 11:01
318.4 feet per nm to be precise! ;)

DirectAnywhere
23rd Mar 2004, 07:33
Yep sorry, the GS puts you a few feet under the D8.0 LLZ step. As for the terrain clearance at tolerance limits, I'm not sure other than it's sufficient. Sorry I can't be more help!

OzExpat
23rd Mar 2004, 07:36
yawskidball... if you're planning to fly right at the limit of the pilot tolerance that would be pretty impressive. It would also be pretty dumb. I'm a procedure designer, but there's no way that I can give you a generic answer in the quoted scenario because of the way the ILS protection area is designed.

The only thing I can tell you is that, in the precision segment, we deal with three (3) standard approach surfaces, "W" for the glidepath and "X" and "Y" for the localiser. These surfaces slope and curve and obstacle CAN exist anywhere below those surfaces. :uhoh:

The only thing I can say to you is that, if you insist on flying the approach so low, you're betting the lives of everyone on board that your LLZ and GP indicators are accurately calibrated. :eek:

The Stooge
24th Mar 2004, 04:00
Exactly OzExpat in most GA sh!theaps your luck if they work at all.