PDA

View Full Version : Info on Airfield at Luddenham

mixture22
21st Mar 2004, 04:42
I am seeking information on a Airstrip near Luddenham in NSW west of Hoxten park. If anyone can tell me who own's the land or opperates from there.

Any info would be much appreciated

I Fly
22nd Mar 2004, 23:26
Can you be a bit more precise where exactly it is. I am not aware of any airstrip at Luddenham. There is a strip some 2 nm SE. That strip is on the Sydney West proposed airport site and I suppose the Minister of Finance is the official owner.

Ultralights
25th Mar 2004, 06:08
are you talking about the old WWII strip approx 5 miles NW of Hoxton Pk?? i am not sure who owns it, but i have seen aircraft on the ground there occasionally, mainly Ultralights, but this was a few yrs ago now. There is a radio tower at the south western end right beside the old threshold and some sheds and buildings about half way down its length. racticed a forced landing there just last week!

FO Cokebottle
28th Mar 2004, 05:28
mixture22

As I grew up in that area I can reliably tell you that there was a dirt strip next to what was Bullin'd animal world on the Luddenham - Wallacia Road. I actually have used it one time. A scenic flight operator was working out of there on the week ends when Bullin's was still a going concern.

Hugh Jarse
28th Mar 2004, 09:06
Coke, Wallacia was a favourite airstrip among instructors to do PFL's, but unfortunately they closed it around 1990 and put a fence across it.

catseye
28th Mar 2004, 09:51
There are a few more strips that may fit the criteria. Wanna be a bit more specific or give us a road junction or suburb????

The sports rotorcraft strip used to be at the side of a quarry near Erskine Park.

ww2 strips at Doonside in the old OTC site, another in Mt Druitt near the munitions filling factory.

There is/was a Caribou strip near the pipeline on Northern road but it used to be in the restricted area.

Londonderry drop zone??

Probably a few more will eventually come to mind!

The Eye.

FO Cokebottle
28th Mar 2004, 12:34
Jarse,

There you go - thats showing my age....thanks

catseye,

Doonside and Mt Druitt is hardly west of Hoxton Park....which reminds me Mt Druitt was a pretty dirty team to play rugby against for a Warragamba boy who went to St Dom's at Penrith :D

AD/DUNNY/01
31st Mar 2004, 23:59
Coke, mate how old could you be??? Played with and AGAINST ST doms in my younger days...Wallacia was used quite often back in the "old days" I remember something about a "Callacia Airshow" back in the mid-late 60's, theres a photo of a Beaver getting airborne out of "wallacia" floating around somewhere on the net..

Transition Layer
1st Apr 2004, 07:45
G'day

From what I can gather, it seems like you're talking about the "Badgery's Creek" strip. It's located very close to the position you describe - there's a large open field to it's SE with a Bureau of Met automated obs station located in it if that helps.

The runway directions are roughly 06/24 and 15/33 and both runways are about 400m in length. The 06/24 direction seems to be in better condition, although there are tall trees in both undershoots which makes the place a bit of a b*gger.

There's two windsocks and gable makers placed rather sporadically along the strip. Have seen cattle (or at least their calling cards ;) ) on there as well.

As for who owns/operates it, I have no idea. I was always told it was for microlights etc, but have never seen anyone there. It must be used though, cause it is kept in relatively good nick.

The strip Ultralights is talking about is further NNE and is a definite no goer. Some sort of satellite transmission station is on the site now I believe.

And Hugh, not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but there's still a great paddock at Wallacia for PFLs - gets a massive workout at times! Looks like it definitely could have been a runway at some stage.

So I guess a C185 or something STOL capable like that would be the aircraft for the job.

Cheers,
TL

I Fly
1st Apr 2004, 09:11
Transition Layer, this is the strip I was talking about in my previous post. I think the Minister for Finance is the official owner.