PDA

View Full Version : CESSNA SID, I devious idea...

High Altitude
21st Mar 2004, 01:56
Well here is a question for you experts to look into. I have done no research into it, just a weird idea!

How about exploiting the Trans Tasman Agreement?

How would one go about registering their Cessna in NZ and just operating it in Oz under the ZK registration? Or will NZ CAA follow suit with Oz?

Would certainly be much cheaper than doing the SID.

tinpis
21st Mar 2004, 01:58
Only if someone gives them the idea first..

...oh...

Rich-Fine-Green
21st Mar 2004, 07:56
H.A.:

Apparently, the Kiwi CAA is neck and neck with CASA to get this SID in place.

I know a chap in NZ who iwas considering importing a 400 series and was told by the CAA of the SID implementation a few months ago. He has wisely backed off.

Natit
22nd Mar 2004, 05:06
Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is a SID (apart from the obvious IFR DEP :) )

There's been a fair bit of discussion on prune bout this. Just interested that's all.

High Altitude
22nd Mar 2004, 05:19
About the equivalent of SIDS with an infant...

The death of the aircraft unless you spend lots of dollars...

All about ageing aircraft programs.

tinpis
22nd Mar 2004, 05:53
HA perhaps you could get a dispensation to only use them for repatriateing long-grassers. :}

vee tail
23rd Mar 2004, 07:11
tick tick tick I can here the goggs turning HA.

Tasfast
23rd Mar 2004, 09:03
I am also interested in operating New Zealand registered aircraft on an Australian AOC, I assume it only has to be maintained by a NZ approved maintenance org with NZ LAME, which cost’s $25 to get. The CASA site says a foreign AC should only operate for 6 months, after which it should be put on the Aussie register but that was before the Trans Tasman act

Kanga767
23rd Mar 2004, 10:25
I don't think you'd even get a NZ LAME for $25!!! Especially to work on some aging cessna twin.......

K

bush mechanics
23rd Mar 2004, 10:47
HA.I here that casa are going to give us 3 years to complie,which is the same time the FAA will mandate it.I also heard that the FAA want sids or equivelent programs for all light aircraft over 20 years of age.Soo Piper,Beech,Mooney,ect,ect beter hurie up with there ageing a/c programs

High Altitude
23rd Mar 2004, 21:39
It was only a matter of time that the old ageing aircraft syndrome came to fruition.

It brings back the old debates 208B v PA31 etc.

Spend $200,000 on your old workhorse and keep flying or by a new machine for lots a dollars. Yes it does make sense. Bugga shoulda bought one when the dolla hit .8...

As for the coggs ticking yep working overtime...

ZK AIRCRAFT CAN BE OPERATED HERE AS LONG AS YOU LIKE. IF YOU LOOK HARD ENOUGH YOU WILL FIND NZ LICESNSED WORKSHOPS HERE. Only downside is that you will probably be called a KIWI...

sweethart
24th Mar 2004, 10:45
Only downside is that you will probably be called a KIWI...

Come on HA. I'm sure you would be quite happy being called that as i know you get called ALOT worse.

:ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch:

VH-VIN
29th Mar 2004, 08:29
Please don't call HA a Kiwi, it will make the rest of us look bad!!!!
By the way, not as easy as you may think to operate a NZ aircraft in OZ for a long period of time.
6 months is all you will get most of the time.

PropDuster
29th Mar 2004, 11:20
Ki Ora youz bros

HA like the way you think.

I understand you can operate ZK aircraft over here on CHT but not RPT ops. Can anyone point me to the relevant regs or 'please explain'

Regards Prop

hole in the air
29th Mar 2004, 21:30
If you're going to shop around for a flag of convenience registered aircraft to avoid maintenance, why not follow the shipping industry all the way and bring the pilots in too!

I made a post on a previous SID thread. I have a 402B and started the work to get my plane compliant last year. After what I have found, I would not have flown in it, let alone sent someone else out in it.

You've got your head in the sand if you think the others are without problems. If you put the same amount of energy into fixing your planes as you would do trying to operate OS planes you wouldn't have a problem!

ginjockey
29th Mar 2004, 22:31
Hole in the Air is talking making sense. Obviously Cessna and CASA have identified an specific issue with these aircraft and need to enforce the inspection and corrective maintenance on these older machines. I'm sure that they didn't just make it all up for no reason. These aircraft are 3 decades old and they must need the work. It's massively expensive and will ruin the bottom line for a lot of companies but we are talking about wing spars. Merely changing the place of registration of an aircraft does not remove cracks, corrosion and metal fatigue. I think that $150K is probably cheap compared to what it'll cost the first company to lose a 402 when a wing comes off over Brisbane's CBD.
I think you owners are mighty unlucky but stuck with this one.

hole in the air
30th Mar 2004, 12:27
The SID is very comprehensive. Wing spars are only a small part of it. We found problems with the canted bulkheads behind the engines, the wing tip bulkhead where the tip tank bolts on, the vertical stabilizer, rudder, and undercarriage. The wing tip is scary, I'd hate to think of the result if we lost a tank in the air. The wing spars are obviously the most expensive part but these have been time lifed for about 10 years. If it was replaced at 8200 hours under the old CASA AD then you get 6500 hours from then before the new work has to be done, if you've done less than 6500 hours TT then you've had 1700 hours slashed from the life of the wing, in between your on borrowed time. The reason is that the smallest detectable crack with eddie current testing is 4mm and the spar fails when the crack is a bee's dick more than 4mm. After the new mod is done to the spar it's life should be extended almost indefinitely. I don't think that the new mod is more expensive than the old CASA AD, just 1700 hours earlier. The rest of the SID may be expensive if there are problems found, but it's cheaper than the consequences if parts start falling off. My guess is that without the spar mod you're probably looking at around $50K.