PDA

View Full Version : New hard drive option

BUMPFF
20th Mar 2004, 05:57
Failing hard drive: Thanks to all of you who previously offered advice on this topic. Boot failures are now becoming too frequent so I will install a new hard drive. I’m running an Evesham rig (Intel 3) that has a UDMA66 drive. Where do I find another of the same (or better) specification please?
----------------------------------------------
I offer this as a general alert: Email spread of viruses: I have suddenly started to receive daily emails (three to date) which have .pif file attachments, all of which I have deleted unopened. Each one has a different originating address. The latest is from [email protected] with the subject title 'Re: Your archive'.

BDiONU
20th Mar 2004, 06:20
Just recently bought and installed a Maxtor ATA133, 7,200rpm HDD which I got from my local company www.Novatech.co.uk The 40Gb version is £36.42 and the 80Gb £46.91. Hhhmmm, difficult choice to make! ;)

P.S. When you've got your new HDD I would enable the SMART setting in your BIOS. Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology, gives you early warning of failures.
http://www.pcmech.com/show/harddrive/158/

BD

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Mar 2004, 18:01
BUMPFF,

When it comes to Windows, it is all about Disk Access. The best option is a 7,200rpm Hard Drive with an 8Mb Cache.

Since you have UDMA-66, you do not need to worry about getting a UMDA-100 or a UDM-133 Controller, since today's Hard Drives cannot fill the UDMA-66 Pipe.

I would recommend the Western Digital JB line of Hard Drives. In your case, either the 80Gb 800JB or the 120Gb 1200JB.

Take Care,

Richard