PDA

View Full Version : Flying European A/C

tomcs
19th Mar 2004, 23:09
Hi Guys....

I got no luck from the Private Flying forum...so i thought i'd ask it here!

I will have a JAR-CPL in the next few weeks and in the summer someone has asked if i can do some flying with them in Italy. Now the question is....can i fly italian registered a/c....or any european registered a/c for that matter with a JAR-CPL or does it require something akin to the american system?

Cheers

Tom

FlyingForFun
22nd Mar 2004, 08:21
Tom

I haven't seen your post in Private Flying yet, so don't know if you've got any replies there. As a general point of protocol, if it's really necessary to post the question in two places, far better to simply post a link to the first thread in the second forum, so all the answers can be kept together.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Italian air law, and I doubt many people on here are, which is why you've had few replies. The answer is that if Italy is fully compliant with JAR-FCL (and I don't know whether it is or not) then yes, you can just go and fly an Italian-registered aircraft with no further paperwork required. You should be able to find out what Italy's JAR status is somewhere on the JAA website (http://www.jaa.nl).

If Italy aren't JAR-FCL compliant, then it's entirely up to the Italian authorities what their rules are, and I wouldn't like to even try to second-guess them.

The best thing to do may be to write to the Italian aviation authorities, who will have a definitive answer for you.

FFF
----------------

tomcs
22nd Mar 2004, 14:25
Thanks for the reply....will do that and report back with my findings. Just another question....has anyone flown around italy...what r the controllers like / airspace etc?

Cheers

Tom

Ray_DK
22nd Mar 2004, 19:42
Hi Tom,

i've heard (from third party sources) som bad things about how atc handles traffic at some places.:uhoh:

But as i haven't been there i can't confirm that this is the case.:confused:

ArcherII
23rd Mar 2004, 06:00
Italy is partly compliant with the JARs...it's in the process of changing to the JAR system...but being Italians, they take forever and are behind everyone else as usual (I'm Italian myself, so I can relate).

I have an FAA PPL working on FAA IR. I'll be converting to JAR PPL/IR if not CPL/IR one day and will be looking into flying in Italy...

I just noticed though that for example on the entire island of Sicily there are like 3 airports total...where as in that much space in the US, you would proably at least have a dozen or more...

sad...

Archer

tomcs
23rd Mar 2004, 10:07
Cheers guys...but i'm assuming that if i was to fly a british registered a/c it would be ok, as i know people who have.

I've noticed that...during planning...the amount of airfields is limited as quite a lot of them are military!

Cheers

Tom