PDA

View Full Version : SAA 400's to CX?

whodunnit2
19th Mar 2004, 14:11
I have heard a rumour around town that Cathay have agreed to buy two of SAA's 400's. The announcement according to the source will be made reasonably soon!

Anybody out there heard anything about this? Are Spoories moving completely away from Boeing now?

W2:ok:

George Tower
19th Mar 2004, 17:29
Heard a rumour a while back that CX were interested in a few BA 744s. As SAA has an RR powered 744 fleet I suppose it's not inconceiveable for CX to be interested.

skyvan
20th Mar 2004, 07:52
There have been rumours on the go for a while about us losing the first 2 -400s that we got. Both have not been updated to FANS standard, and are not GPS equipped.

There are also rumours of Technical staff going to assess the new -400ER, and also 777s. There is apparently some dis-satisfaction at Board level about the 340's performance.

Having said the above, SAA has as many rumours as a dog has fleas! Lots of rumours start as wishful thinking on somebody's part, and before you know it "I heard it was being discussed that....(insert favourite pipedream)"

I somehow think that if CX were looking at buying 2nd hand 400s, then BA would be a better option, they have a bigger pool of standardised planes.

Boss Raptor
20th Mar 2004, 08:20
Have heard from source at TLS that the new SAA A340's are burning 6% more fuel than promised...making life difficult on the longer routes they were planned for :cool:

whodunnit2
21st Mar 2004, 00:32
I believe that the BA 400's have always been first prize for CX but the stumbling block is economics. RE wants too much money for them.

CX have also always been adamant that the A/C must have RR to maintain the fleet standard. GPS and the FANS update could always be done later especially if the initial price is right.

What routes do the SAA 400's do these days. Airbus seems to be taking everything.

W2

SortieIII
21st Mar 2004, 04:41
Don't know whether there is any truth in this rumour - as a previous poster said, SAA is awash with rumours, due mainly to poor/non-existent management comms.

From April -400 going to LHR, LAD & LOS. That's today's plan!

SAA joining the 'Star Alliance' could/will change everything!

RUDAS
23rd Mar 2004, 10:02
i heard from a mate that Virgin arent too happy with their a340-600's and are planning to trade them in for 777-300er's? if so,that isnt a good endorsement for the -600,since SAA apparently are less than thrilled with their performance?

any truth in the Virgin rumour?

whodunnit2
23rd Mar 2004, 11:45
CX Airbus management pilots have mentioned that when the 600's leases expire they will be sent straight back.

The company is also unhappy with the discrepency between airbus quoted figures and what happens on the line.

Not a very good advert for Airbus.

George Tower
23rd Mar 2004, 14:49
I have heard a rumour not sure whether it is fact that Boeing have/had a deal with GE that the 777-300 ER would only be supplied with GE engines. Is there any truth in this? If so it does seem that Boeing has made a mistake as many airlines seem to prefer RR (BA/CX/QF etc).

Whilst I'm sure there is a debate on the merits of RR v GE, RR must be doing something right as a company as their share price has more than doubled in the last 12 months - not bad in this uncertain post 9/11 world.

BMM389EC
24th Mar 2004, 03:34
Rudas, dont think there is any truth in the rumour that Virgin are unhappy with theirs-read something on the net today saying they were ordering two more?

Goldfish Jack
26th Mar 2004, 20:01
Never mind Cathay and Virgin, etc

Heard an interesting one last night that Ms Ramos wants to know why SAA wants to get rid of the B737-800s if they are doing their job. Have to agree with her 100%. Why get rid of the aircraft when everyone seems quite happy with what the 800s are doing?

Why change an aicraft for no reason when you are a few million iin the red?

tired
27th Mar 2004, 19:41
Rudas - absolutely no truth at all.

The 777s were originally mooted as Classic replacements, now they're being thought of as expansion aircraft.