PDA

View Full Version : Oz Helo Pilot willing to pay $10K for a job

Planned Root
19th Mar 2004, 09:42
I just posted the following in the Rotorheads forum but did not realise that another thread was already active with 4 pages covering the same story.

I hope that Woomera does not mind me reposting my thread here as I feel it is relevant after viewing previous threads about pilots working for free in this forum.

After all, we are in the same industry whether we fly choppers or fixed wing.

Here it is:

I just read an advertisement in Aviation Trader for a helicopter pilot willing to pay $10,000 to his prospective employer for any helicopter flying job.

Here is the story:

$10,000 REWARD
Commercial helicopter pilot
requires work flying.
Willing to pay $10,000 for flying work. Ratings
include 200 hrs TT, R22/R44/Night/Sling (Aus,NZ).
33 year old male, mechanical fitter/welder, mature,
honest, wanting to work. Driving licences LR/MR/
HR/HC/60 ton crane.
Contact Kelly (Aus) 0415 692 016
[email protected]

Are things that bad in the Australian helicopter industry or has it stooped to a new low?

Addendum:

Do you think we will see the day when fixed wing pilots start offering prospective employers this kind of money?

:yuk:

Rich-Fine-Green
19th Mar 2004, 19:31
I have never heard of $10K being offered for a fixed wing start.

"Kelly" is only paying for advertising what has been happening for years.

It is not common, but over the years there have been a few Pilots who sent CV's that said they were willing to pay to get a start in the industry.

More common are those who indicate on their CV's that they are willing to fly for free (or little return).

Are they any worse than the (not insignificant) number of Pilots that are currently paying huge upfront fees for 'guaranteed airline' employment or paying for twin/turbine time in night freight/Bank runs?.

I notice a school in Vic is offering an integrated course up to Grade 2 instructor. I saw no mention of salary in the brochure. I wonder if that is another 'free work' scheme?.

currawong
21st Mar 2004, 02:56
It will all end in tears.

There is a bloke on the rotor heads forum that admitted to canvasing employers with a view to "subsidising" his son's employment.

Brave admission, all things being considered.

Sheep Guts
21st Mar 2004, 03:24
Im not a HELO bloke, but wouldnt 10k get a you a decent turbine endo with some time on Type?

Sheep

sweethart
24th Mar 2004, 10:55
****** u all!!!

10k is alot of beer !!!!

the wizard of auz
24th Mar 2004, 11:13
and just enough Bourbon/Rum
:}

swamp monkey
24th Mar 2004, 13:10
What I found amusing about this ad...... if this Helo Pilot had been reading previous copies of the Aust/Av trader they might have seen all the positions available in QLD for R22 drivers. There was even one in the same edition as the $10k ad on the previous page. Go figure?

As was said earlier........could have saved the $10k for getting blind. :yuk: :ok:

DualRated
27th Mar 2004, 11:39
The ads in Aust Aviation trader and Heli News are filled positions.
Found in the Friday Aust up to 2 months earlier.
Not that I agree with working for nothing.

locusthunter
28th Mar 2004, 05:51
While we are on the topic, has anybody had a "pay me way" loser who's been employed over them, recently??

Aerodynamisist
30th Mar 2004, 09:39
Would you realy want to work for the kind of operator that would accept such an offer ?