PDA

View Full Version : BT Yahoo - Major System Failure (e-mail)

fobotcso
19th Mar 2004, 08:57
Fellow BT Yahoo sufferers who are having problems seeing their e-mails may draw comfort from knowing that, after two hours on the 'phone to them in the last two days, I have been advised that there has been a "Major System Failure" since Paddy's Day.

The SMTP server is bouncing my my Primary real-world e-mails. This is not good for business. The change to Yahoo could be good in the long run but the security is over-played to a ridiculous extent.

I like the new interface. I just need to get at my new e-mails.

:*

Phoenix09
19th Mar 2004, 20:48
I'm afraid I have had enough. After quite a few very satisfied years with BT Openworld's broadband service the amalgamation with Yahoo has just about driven me mad!! :(

So... I am migrating to Zen Internet who consistently have high ratings for speed, customer service and customer satisfaction on the ADSL Guide (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/) website. I shall let you know how I get on after the 31st March but so far my dealings with them have been excellent! I had never realised how easy it is to migrate from one ISP to another... but then again until the BT Yahoo fiasco came up I had no reason to!

Sharjah Night Shift
20th Mar 2004, 13:30
As a member of staff I am entitled to a discounted monthly subscription to BT Yahoo's services. My experience was like most people here have described with busy tone on my dial up access and being unable to contact customer services and technical support going to a 50p a minute number, (for f*** sake I only wanted to report yet another problem). In the end I ceased using their services and had to threaten them with the County Court to get back the money I had paid them for the time I could not use the service.

I have now decided to pay more and have broadband from a proper ISP. At least this way if there is a problem with my wholesale ADSL line my ISP will be able to make a complaint to Offcom to get things sorted out.

fobotcso
20th Mar 2004, 20:44
My Primary e-mail address has now been rejecting incoming e-mails for four days. The situation is extraordinary. I can read all the earlier e-mails. I can import e-mails from the other sub-accounts. I can receive with all the sub-accounts. I can send from the Primary account.

But I can't receive with the Primary account. :confused:

I've telephoned three times; I've sent two complaints using the on-line "Contact Us" page. BT Yahoo have not made the situation public on their System Status page and have not contacted me at all.

This is almost beyond belief. I can see Pipex looming soon.

But there are so many people I would have to tell about the change of e-mail address....

digidave
20th Mar 2004, 20:52
And this is why I have a Yahoo mail account as my primary. I can change providers as and when I like and i can get at it from any computer with internet access.

Been with Pipex since Jan. 6th - so far no problems, tho they are reporting email isn't 100%, but no lost mail, just slow to pick up - but I haven't noticed.

Good luck,
dd

Timothy
21st Mar 2004, 00:30
Eclipse and Pipex consistently score tops, with Eclipse as marginally better (but so marginal as to make little odds.)

I use BTOpenWorld and have had no problems....but then I have never told anyone my BTOpenWorld address, and only use it to send test mails to myself when I want to test things like out of office.

Timothy

fobotcso
31st Mar 2004, 16:02
Well, after two weeks, BT finally got me back on the air with my Primary "Real-World" e-mail address (the other eight sub-accounts, including fobotcso's) were fine.

We went down on 17th March. They acknowledged the failure on the Status Page of the BT Yahoo on 25th and six days later...

Now waiting to hear about compensation and an honest explanation of what caused the corruption. I understand that "hundreds" of former BT customers were affected during the changeover to BT Yahoo. (I bet that means thousands :mad: )

That was the good news.

The bad news is that, although I'd hoped that some spam might have stopped coming when the rubbish was sent back to the spammers as undeliverable, they are again coming as thick and fast as in the old days. :yuk:

Phoenix09
31st Mar 2004, 16:43
Well today was my migration day to Zen Internet and so far so good. The changeover went very smoothly and I only lost my connection for a couple of minutes. Entered my new details into the router and I was away.

It is definitely noticeably quicker and the speed tests at ADSL Guide (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/) confirm it.

I have only had occasion to speak to their support desk once concerning setting up of extra e-mail boxes and they answered the phone almost immediately and were very helpful.

Too early for me to really recommend them yet but it is just good to be away from the mess that is now BTYahoo!!