PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone sponsor 30 somethings?

Deputy Captain
18th Mar 2004, 23:57
At the end of 2000 I took the plunge and paid my fees for the Ab-initio ATPL course at Oxford. Following 9/11 and with funds running lower and lower I decided to leave the course and for the short term only, return to my previous occupation so as to keep the wolves from the door, and complete my training as the airline industry picked up.

However, the signs over the intervening years have not been good and so early last year I took my remaining funds out of Oxford (about 19k). While I still long to fulfill my ambition and become a pilot, I cannot risk losing any money.

I think I have a reasonably good CV, have been successful in my present career and so my question is simple. Now don't laugh......

Does anyone give sponsorship to 32 year old wannabes?

I said don't laugh.

DC

High Wing Drifter
19th Mar 2004, 07:11
www.malgus.com is a possibility.

Manflex55
19th Mar 2004, 10:43
CTC take people up to 34.

mesh
19th Mar 2004, 21:04
Malgus don't offer any job or pay for any of your training. CTC as far as I'm aware is a sponsorship for type rating that can be applied for after obtaining the ATPL. There are no sponsorship schemes for 32+.

You will get there anyway one way or another, as Nike say. Just Do It!

M

Manflex55
20th Mar 2004, 06:36
Yeah sorry, misread the post. I thought you had your fzn ATPL already. Mesh is correct. As for "risking to lose money", well who hasn't done that in this business? From the wannabe PPL to the guy who wants to start an airline, it is risky. Each time you take a written exam or a checkride & fail, some money goes in the bin. A checkride in this country is at least £1k (500 for 2h of twin, 500 for the CAA), so if you fail it's gone, that's for sure. Is it "lost" however? I wouldn't use that word. I considered all the cash I spent on my training as an investment in myself for the future. No pain no gain, up to you to decide on "what you really really want", to quote a famous female song. If you're confident enough that you can make it, go for it, give it 100% and plan to spend more than you expected. If, after doing the necessary research, you have any doubts in either your chances to be hired (too old, industry not doing well, whatever) or your ability to get your licences, reassess your goals. Don't put money in something you don't trust, whether it's a fzn ATPL course, a flying school, a type rating scheme, etc.

gemini76
20th Mar 2004, 09:23
Ok, now you CAN laugh, but I've got to ask the question!

2600 hours UKATPL ( One of the last issued), FI (600 hrs),
any chance of me getting a job other than instructing at the grand old age of 48????????????????:{

mesh
20th Mar 2004, 12:49
I know a guy who got a right hand seat at 40 post 9/11, after ATPL distance, don't see why not. Try not to put up reasons for failing before you have given it a bloody good try. Looks to me like networking is the name of the game...

paddygee
22nd Mar 2004, 19:10
Deputy Captain, a person from my own heart..I am considering a career change, paying for an ab initio...I am mid thirties, and would like to know if airlines take people of my age with frozen ATPL's before I spend the huge amount of money......I agree it is an investment in yourself, bit like starting a business really..but a rewarding one if things go well.....another point, the leadership question.....if, on interview, a person can evidence an awful lot of people leadership in extremely stressful, life or death situations, with a nano second to make a decision, that decision, incidently has to be right, or it's possibly porridge for some years, do you think that would bode well?