PDA

View Full Version : Incident at Dublin Airport 18/03/04

skies the limit
18th Mar 2004, 21:15
The runway at Dublin Airport was closed this evening after an aircraft made an emergency landing.

Does anyone have any further details?

speedbird_heavy
18th Mar 2004, 22:28
Speaking to a Ryanair Captain this evening he said that either a CRJ or an ERJ lost most of its hydrolic's over the irish sea and had to make a flaps up approach. Landed safley with no injuries. So I was told

akerosid
19th Mar 2004, 05:44
From today's Irish Indo:

A PACKED Aer Lingus jet was forced to divert to Shannon last night when it ran dangerously low on fuel after Dublin Airport runway became blocked.

The jet, on its way in from Toulouse in France, was one of several aircraft forced to circle the airport after a Skyways Express plane with 34 people on board made an emergency landing, blocking the airport's main runway for over half an hour.

The Skyways aircraft had left Dublin at 7pm and was on its way to Stockholm when the captain reported a problem with the aircraft's hydraulic fuel system.

The pilot asked to return to Dublin to make an emergency landing.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Skyways aircraft would have been an EMB145. The Aer Lingus flight which went "dangerously short of fuel" (don't think so!) would have been a 737-500.

Timothy
19th Mar 2004, 06:51
A PACKED Aer Lingus jet was forced to divert to Shannon last night when it ran dangerously low on fuel after Dublin Airport runway became blocked. Do you think we should enforce a ban on journalists on public transport flights?

They are clearly taking their lives in their hands whenever they fly, surely we have a duty of care to prevent them?

Timothy

noisy
19th Mar 2004, 08:29
'reported a problem with the aircraft's hydraulic fuel system.'

???:confused: :uhoh:

cools
19th Mar 2004, 08:47
Wrong Octane Hydraulic fluid !! What they never mentioned was all the schools the heroic Aer Lingus pilot avoided between Dublin and Shannon and the fact the the senior reporter only missed being on the flight because of traffic at the Airport.

The real storey; that countless inbound crews never got to the Coachmans before closing time because of the delays, was just glossed over!!!!

Bearcat
19th Mar 2004, 18:34
Lads why lessen the dangerous nature of our job and let the slob journos in the know that the AL plane realised it was going to eat into its diversion fuel, the airport wasnt going to be opened for another 30mins so hence divert. Journos write to incite and are paid for a story...period. As anside why was 34 not available ???

genius747
19th Mar 2004, 19:07
Bearcat, 34 was possibly not available due to wind strength& direction... possibly the "airport" was closed and not just the "runway" which does happen in many cases with emergencies.

Also EI ops would state unless the specific CAT of firefighting services was available at their landing airport "NO LAND" in the case of last night Dublin's firefighting and rescue vehicles were in high demand at the incident I am sure. Meaning any other aircraft landing would have to settle with a significantly lower category of rescue/firefighting services... which Aer Lingus would never compromise.

:ok:

Bearcat
19th Mar 2004, 20:49
Genius, I am not trying to be disrespectful but AL require cat 6 fire fighting facilities for 737/320 with a minimum of cat 4. A single airplane landed witha hyd prob. surely ct 4 was avail for 34/16. w/v was not a factor. I dont think fire fighting facilities were a factor for cat 4.

Capt Bear

Coconuts
19th Mar 2004, 21:30
mutt

This is getting boriiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg,but as its a Friday afternoon and its too windy to go flying
Flying what, a kite unless there's something that I don't know???

Coco :rolleyes:

toon
20th Mar 2004, 06:28
where do they find these moron's to write such dribble ?

you would be hard pushed surely to find anyone who had absolutely no idea what they are talking about in a paid 'profession' !

chargreen int
20th Mar 2004, 14:09
16/34 was closed due w.i.p. i believe parts of it are dug up

INLAK
21st Mar 2004, 14:08
16/34 has got bits dug up......they`re still looking for that 50p!!!

:ok:

Kestrel_909
21st Mar 2004, 17:32
50p? There was me thinking the Irish used Euros and thought pounds were deformed euro coins :E

Also, anyone know why the EIN144 from Los Angeles dirverted into Belfast yesterday morning, landing at 1025z.
I think it was EI-LAX, but still don't know why. The pax sat onboard for two hours at BFS, and the aircaft didn't depart untill late yesterday evening down to Dublin.

FJJP
21st Mar 2004, 23:06
Let's assume rwy 34 WAS available. Why should the crash state be lowered? The ac landed safely - yes, the runway was blocked whilst the engineers towed it clear. But surely you only lose the crash cat if the line is no longer capable of making foam or other fire suppressant material? Ie, they had had to fight a fire and did not have the required quantity of water in their tanks - in other words, they would have to have replenished before being declared on line again. Had another incident happened on the field, the crash line could have been pulled off the hydraulic-failed jet to attend - or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

MarkD
22nd Mar 2004, 20:41
yet another reason why the new parallel 10/28 needs building?

chargreen int
23rd Mar 2004, 10:20
EIN144 diverted due to the high winds at EIDW winds were 260@48g65

Kestrel_909
23rd Mar 2004, 14:57
Thanks chargreen int!

QGH
30th Mar 2004, 20:28
I believe Baldonnel took in a civil aircraft that night, and were available to take more.