PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans

Techman
17th Jun 2001, 09:31
Once again a Dane wins Le mans.

Need I say moore?.

Evo7
17th Jun 2001, 10:53
You could tell me where you got the crystal ball? It hasn't finished yet... :)

ExSimGuy
17th Jun 2001, 19:00
Manufacturers' rankings:
First - VW-Audi
Second - VW-Audi
Third - VW-Bentley ( :mad: )

Drivers (winning Audi):
Frank Biela (German)
Tom Kristensen (Danish)
Emanuele Pirro (Italian)

Crystal ball not too far out - there was a Dane in there somewhere :)

Rollingthunder
17th Jun 2001, 20:23
Watched Le Mans-the race- on the racing channel here, they followed it with Le Mans-the film, nice of them.

I once did the run into work in 86 seconds on the bike (05:00, no traffic). I do live reasonably close to the airport. Passed a police car going the other way over the bridge- tough luck for him. If I had a Bentley Speed 8, I think I could get that down to 40 seconds. Once.

Juliet November
19th Jun 2001, 05:23
Ah yes, Tom K. won the race for the 2nd time in a row with the Audi R8 and 3rd time overall; first was in '97 with a Porsche.

At a pre-race meeting, the drivers of Panoz were asked which tools were needed in the car in case of an on-track breakdown. Danish driver Jan Magnussen answered "A box of matches". The Panoz LMP 2001 is now being scrapped completely, and the team will use the 2000 car (The Batmobil) for the remainder of the season.

But the team of the race were undoubtedly the Bentley boys. Marvellous looking car, excellent performance from a "new" team and an absolutely great show on the podium. Very saddeing to see the # 7 car catch fire though.

Top rating goes to Porsche too, for bringing back the GT win to Stuttgart after 3 years of solid Chrysler Viper dominance.

Danish telly covered all 24 hours non-stop; I'm still seeing red tail-lights whenever I close my eyes .....

JB007
19th Jun 2001, 16:00
Good to see Jan is still racing....wondered what he was doing since Sir Jackie got rid..

Anyone know how Brundle / Blundell did ?
Wasn't Johnny Herburt racing too ?

Sorry..Autosport is so expensive these days!!!

------------------
Regards JB007!
[email protected]
Flight Ops,Crewing and Dispatch Moderator

Evo7
19th Jun 2001, 19:18
Brundle - 37th - Bently broke
Herbert - 33rd - whatever it was broke
Blundell - 30th - MG broke

Oh dear.

Murray Walkers' moving chicane, Jean-Denis Deletraz, managed fifth. He drove a few races for Pacific in F1 once upon a time and managed to corner so slowly in Estoril that he stalled... :) :)

Biggles Flies Undone
19th Jun 2001, 19:34
Brundle was awesome in the first hour. Anyone share my view that he might have been running a bit of a 'mad' engine to get some good press?

Suberb effort to get the other one home in third. Would be great to think a repeat of Jaguar's efforts a few years ago could be on the cards :).

Evo7
19th Jun 2001, 20:10
Wouldn't be the first time, but I'd doubt it. A few hot laps would be good publicity, I guess, but it's a hell of a risk. Just imagine if they got caught cheating...?

Normally that sort of thing goes on in free practice anyway. Just think of some of the times Prost posted this year in pre-season F1 testing. No scruitineers, and they needed a sponsor. Odd that they couldn't keep the times going when there was someone to look at the car, but there you go. Sure it's all innocent ;)

I'd like to think that Brundle doing so well was just a case of crappy conditions bringing the best drivers to the front.

Bentley like Jaguar? As in great British marque, sold to Johnny Foreigner, then goes racing in British Racing Green with lots of waving the Union Jack to get us Brits buying them again...?

;)

(Edited 'cos I cant spell Bently ;) http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif)

[This message has been edited by Evo7 (edited 19 June 2001).]

Biggles Flies Undone
19th Jun 2001, 20:22
I wasn't suggesting that it was a bent engine, just one that wasn't necessarily expected to last for 24 hours.

I guess that, at the end of the day, there aren't that many 'pure' manufacturers left. What the heck, if the Bently name is on the top of the podium next year I'll be cheering as loud as anybody :)

Evo7
20th Jun 2001, 00:21
Me Too :)

18-Wheeler
20th Jun 2001, 01:58
Just out of curiosity, do any Pprune'rs here race at all?
I've been racing sports car for over ten years, myself.

------------------
Motion coming on!

Evo7
20th Jun 2001, 11:11
Would if I could, but it's a case of flying or racing - pick one....

skua
20th Jun 2001, 12:38
Evo

I agree. However I have had the experience of taking my jam jar around Le Mans - the Bugatti circuit. Huge fun.

The gonads you need to go down the Mulsanne at night - in conditions like this year's - just don't bear thinking about.

Man-on-the-fence
20th Jun 2001, 13:01
Evo7

Havent you forgotten someone?

Andy Wallace 3rd

Great to see the Bentley boys stealing the show on the podium with their flying helmits :)

Great show guys

A_Pommie
20th Jun 2001, 15:16
Just got back from Le Man.
Asolutely fabulous, it may have been a bit moist at times but well worth it to see Bentley come third.
Don't forget Huw Chamberlains MG effort no one expected them to finish with such a new project.
Totally British running third overall and fastest thing on the track.
Can't wait till next June.