PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the CAL thread

29chev
18th Mar 2004, 17:43
Just wondering the latest CAL thread disappered how come?:confused:

JTF
19th Mar 2004, 03:29
Yeah, where did it go? Some of the posts were gettting kind of personal and ugly, but overall it had a lot of good info. I would hope it could come back, maybe minus the ugly posts.

29chev
19th Mar 2004, 05:44
Hi JTF
Are you waiting to hear from CAL?

JTF
20th Mar 2004, 03:31
I got an email this week acknowledging my application, but also saying that they can't do much more until the new rules about hiring only typed pilots are lifted by the government. Since I don't have a type in any of their equipment I am not currently eligible for employment. Hopefully things change soon. I would sure appreciate the thread coming back to help stay a little more updated on what is going on.

29chev
20th Mar 2004, 05:05
To bad as without the type I think it is a no go, but if I hear anything or any changes (re; CAL) I'll post it here.

IBTheseus
22nd Mar 2004, 02:18
Lot of people here a bit upset about the election. Seemed to think they was robbed. Main Land China flights may have to wait just a little longer. Still plenty of expansion around though.

The thing with the type rating is somewhat political, and therefore fluid. Never say never, not that this is the worlds best job. There appear to many changes afoot to attempt to make this the job it could be. eg Let PIC actually be PIC.

And yes...where is Jim's thread??:mad:

PPRuNe Towers
22nd Mar 2004, 17:49
It was not deleted by us here at the Towers.

We can't stop the originating poster getting rid if they feel they have reason to. This has just happened on the adjacent Middle Eastern forum but most unusually the thread starter appeared and gave their reasons.

Regards
Rob

29chev
23rd Mar 2004, 04:44
Thanks for the information I thought it might be something like that and parts of it were getting a bit nasty so...lets start fresh!:ok:

johntrav69
23rd Mar 2004, 09:52
Can anyone tell me what the salary etc is like for a First Officer on the 744?
Any general info would be really appreciated.
Thanks.

Shintaro9
26th Mar 2004, 14:33
Hi JT69,

Just flew with expat (Venezuelan) FO. He said nett USD 6500 or there abouts.

Happy Landings.

IBTheseus
30th Mar 2004, 00:11
I want his contract:confused:

That will include the accomodation allowance, and most likely the promised pay rise that is yet to materialise.:mad:

Kaahboeing
4th Apr 2004, 12:31
I agree.
This guy must be talking pasos.
Current contract is US$ 4835 plus $500 market allowance if you are already endorsed on type. 20 % tax is taken from this and also from the accomodation allowance. I know they are not endorsing anymore but, it would be considerably less if your are to be endorsed on type and don't forget the the 3 year bond of about US$ 30 K .

You probably won't get that if you work a 100 hours a month

IBTheseus
9th Apr 2004, 01:20
Maybe it was the one month we got the red envelope of an insult to compensate for the SARS leave we had to have.

29chev
10th Apr 2004, 16:42
Hi Guys,
Not to change the subject but I did my interview with CAL in Feb and was told mid March my medical had passed and they had applied for my work permit. How much longer should I expect to wait before I hear about the work permit and possible course dates?

IBTheseus
11th Apr 2004, 01:19
Its a little while since I went through it all. I was given 10 days official notice. I had heard I had been successful (because I phoned them) about a month out, but given three different start dates. Once finalised, it was less than two weeks to start.

They are extremely poor comunicators. If you haven't heard soon, I would call, but expect a curt response, wondering why you had the audacity to want to know. No long term damage though.

I think they must have an official policy not responding to email. I wouldn't waste much time with that.

Good luck (I think)

:cool:

peter737ng
11th Apr 2004, 11:42
Hi 29,
Appreciaate if you could give me all the details of what you went through in feb04 as i am taking it in april04. what are the salaries like?
Thanx

29chev
12th Apr 2004, 15:57
Thanks IBT ( I think ?) :confused:
Peter 737 send you something soon

29chev
13th Apr 2004, 16:39
Peter check your PM's

29chev
15th Apr 2004, 17:21
Just got the offer start in June :ok:

Boxboy747
19th Apr 2004, 03:50
SOP's (god bless 'em) are crucial to an op, but they are just there to legislate commonsence. If you only have a little naturally, they are intended to camoflage your stupidity and help you perform to the standard of the rest of us.

End result. The BS we all have to put up with everyday.

Pilots who have difficulty with aircraft manipulation in normal circumstances let alone emergency situations and a mass of semi-skilled pilots via for a small amount of jobs. Employers don't seem to mind that you cannot fly as long as you follow the SOP's and meet the minimum requirements.

Copied from Steve76 on another thread but very relevant to their operation.

Welcome to CAL the nightmare I have just recently resigned from! ENJOY.

29chev
19th Apr 2004, 04:57
Thanks for the post Boxboy...just wondering where you are going? As for me I'm furloughed and need the work and believe it or not the pay and benifits at CAL are the best offer I have had including 2 jobs in the sand box and one job in Africa. I'm just happy to be getting back to work!

IBTheseus
19th Apr 2004, 05:08
29chev, I think that sums it up. If you have nothing better to go to, then this is a job, not a career. It could be a good job if CAL understood how to let it be a good job.

Unfortunately it is very hard to argue against Boxboy747's comments.

29chev
19th Apr 2004, 16:05
IBT
I'll get the green cans and meet you in the crew room in June and we'll talk more :D
look forward to meeting you

Jim Morehead
22nd Apr 2004, 00:46
Well...boxboy...Do you want to reveal who you are and what seat you were in at CAL? YOu could send me an e-mail . I might even agree with some of your conclusions.

29chev
22nd Apr 2004, 04:54
Hi Jim,
Welcome back!
Any chance I'm going to see you back in TPE in June July or Aug?
I'll be the guy in the crew room going holy cow they want me to know what? Just kidding...I hope things are going OK for you!
Maybe we'll see you this summer.
29chev

Soho_Sophie
24th Apr 2004, 14:50
Just saw this on another chat group

A China Airlines' plane made emergency landing at Kaohsiung Airport on Wednesday, due to a 78 year old passenger was choked to death after eating breakfast provided by the airline.

The morning flight provides Fish Ball congee for breakfast. Apparently the 78y/o man was choked by the fish balls.

The spokesperson for the airline says the real cause will be determined by doctors, which is still examinating the dead passenger.

China Airlines immediately stopped serving the fish balls and similar items for inflight meals. The carrier introduced fish ball congee for breakfast since 2003. The fish balls are no different to those eaten for hot pot.

This is the first case that a passenger was choked to death by eating fish balls.

Flight CI641 was flying from Taipei to Hong Kong.

China Airlines has compensated NT$20000 for medical fee, and guarantees further compensation by insurances.

However, airlines usually are not responsible for such incidents, unless several incidents occurred at the same time.
:eek:

fender
25th Apr 2004, 04:47
Fish balls.....I thought fish had really small balls...
Oh I'm sorry. The devil made me do it..http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/icons/46.gif

IBTheseus
25th Apr 2004, 09:13
Yes, this happened a few weeks ago. Haven't heard anything further about it.

Very sad

Soho_Sophie
26th Apr 2004, 01:43
Think I'll stick to toast and marmalade for my breakfast.

29chev
26th Apr 2004, 15:59
with 733 time you would go on the 738...the Taiwan Government only lets CAL hire into the type you are typed on ;)
the lowest time person in TPE when I got interviewed had 4-5000 hours the highest was just under 9000 and we all had a bunch of Bus time.
Hope this helps

International Trader
27th Apr 2004, 04:47
News for those F/O s interested or going to CAL.

NO upgrade to captain............EVER!!!!!!!

The contract you get is the one you live with.

Company has a deal signed with the local union.
It has been told to me by someone who has been given confirmation.

Don't believe me ?
Ask for it to be put in your contract in writing, as if they would stick to the contract anyway.

VnavPath
27th Apr 2004, 16:29
Hello International Trade:

Your wrote:

"NO upgrade to captain............EVER!!!!!!!
The contract you get is the one you live with.

Company has a deal signed with the local union.
It has been told to me by someone who has been given confirmation

May I know who is this someone you talked about? Is he in the union's council or you just heard it over a beer talk? If you can't say who this somebody was or reveal your true identity, you better substantiate what you wrote here. If you are just plain bitter, please bring your **** somewhere else.

I've seen many losers who can't even hold on to a descent job in their home country came begging for job in the far east ending up ungrateful and bitter, are you one of these losers? Go home and take a good look at yourself and ask why am I doing here? If you still think you want the job, be grateful to the hands that feed you and start contributing something, otherwise get lost and don't look back.

IBTheseus
28th Apr 2004, 09:02
International Trader sums up the crux of the issue for many expats. Some groups within CAL have not come to terms with the fact CAL needs expats for a variety of reasons. They don't really care if we are here for 1 year, or the term of the contract.

International Trader, was it from your fleet (CP??) who said that, or one of the other fleets??

Others understand the need for expats, and that expats have skills to offer that CAL require.

The question is which group actually controlls the company, and therefore expats career path.

Lannie, I know you read this. Could be the time for you to define the answer.

Otherwise the grass will be greener on the other side of the fence and many will act on that.

International Trader
29th Apr 2004, 08:40
If you must know Mr Vnav"Psycho"path ( going by the vitriol in your reply), it did not come from the CP.
Exactly where it came from is my business and not as important as the facts are to people looking to come here.
As for your comments about me , the situation does not bother me except for the fact that it is a topic of discussion on flights more often than I would like.
You seem to be very bitter and angry at the news. Does it affect you ?
Probably for the better as an attitude like yours has no business in the left seat but, probably closer to the toilet seat!

SAW
5th May 2004, 23:43
Anyone heard what is going on in respect to the government restrictions imposed on non type rated F.O's? Was told that they are clearing it up so us non rated folks can go for the second round of interviews. Anyone shed any light??

29chev
6th May 2004, 20:28
SAW
what are you typed on?

SAW
7th May 2004, 02:10
A300 and 727 (not the most useful).

xdc9er
8th Jul 2004, 19:44
Hello all, Anyone 'in the know' care to give an update on the current hiring/training at CAL? Are there more intakes( not the ones on the engines!)lol, from leasing companies or direct entry/applications?
Keeping the thread alive for the CAL hopefuls!

wigwag
8th Jul 2004, 23:36
Have recieved an e-mail from the recruitment bod's.

They explain that at the moment the recruitment dpartment isstretched by the influx of applicants, and with time will asses all on-line applicants and draw from this all those they wish to interview.

So nothing to do but just sit and wait and hope !

Good luck all

:eek:

E.P.
13th Jul 2004, 02:39
VnavPath

That was you in the Anchorage crew room wasn't it? Come on now be honest...........You throw a pretty mean short soup! :E

International Trader
15th Jul 2004, 02:59
Three years ago they were taking months to answer applications.
Things have not changed . The application process can take a long long time.

Yes Expat and local have had a fist fight in Anchorage. Like people keep saying, there is a very low morale here.

744 fleet has had much trouble in the past but now the morale on the airbus fleet is the same.
Another TRE( Expat) has left. Wonder why?