PDA

View Full Version : Good reading for airline interviews

Hufty
18th Mar 2004, 15:16
If there was ever an optimistic post then this is probably it, but just in case I get lucky, can anybody recommend a good book to read that will cover a lot of the technical or operational stuff that might come up in the interview? This would be my first job and I have 250 hours.

I am obviously going to be on top of my ATPL notes and I heard that "Flying the Big Jets" and that Rolls Royce jet engine book are good, but if anybody could recommend some additional light reading it would be helpful...

All the best,
Hufty

DoItInverted
18th Mar 2004, 15:29
Hi Hufty,

"Flying the Big Jets" is THE BOOK to read :ok:
Consider it as your bible!
Be on top of the ATPL various questions as well.

I can recommend "Preparing for your Cathay Pacific Interview" by Capt. X Y Z. Although written for CX, you'll find lots of useful informations!

Hope this helps!
Good luck anyway:ok:

DII

Luke SkyToddler
18th Mar 2004, 16:31
Guys the book is called "Handling the big jets" not "Flying the big jets". The author is D.P. Davies.

I make the distinction only because, there is also a book called "flying the big jets" out there, but it's like a kid's book with pretty pictures of jumbo jets and stuff, and I'd hate for you to get onto Amazon and get the wrong one.

:ok:

chrislikesblue
19th Mar 2004, 07:21
So where do we order that 'Handling the big jets' from?

Hufty
19th Mar 2004, 08:50
Luke ST - thanks!

I had a look at the Transair website last night and realised my error. In fact I almost bid on a copy of the other one on ebay before I realised!

Hufty

STATLER
19th Mar 2004, 13:32
'FATE IS THE HUNTER'

by Ernest Gann

Fantastic. It should be made part if the ATPL studies instead of some of the $hit we are expected to learn.

DoItInverted
19th Mar 2004, 14:02
Yeah sorry guys!
It's for sure HANDLING the big jets.

DII

fred peck
20th Mar 2004, 14:30
Both Handling the Big Jets and the Cathay Interview Questions are available at; www.pilotwarehouse.co.uk

Craggenmore
20th Mar 2004, 22:50
"The Airline Technical Interview" by Gary V. Bristow.

Lots of quick summary questions and saves you reading all 14 manuals again ;)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0071396098/ref=pd_sim_books_2/103-2448793-5699006?v=glance&s=books

Craggs

retro cowboy
21st Mar 2004, 09:04
Have to agree with Craggenmore on that one. Bristow's book is great, to an extent. When it comes to the figures, beware the of the subtle differences between JAA and FAA. I just shut my eyes when it came to pages with figures anyhow!:}