PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Packard Bell

BDiONU
18th Mar 2004, 14:40
Hi folks,
I'm upgrading a friends olde Packard Bell Pentium 3. All I'm doing is adding some RAM, a new HDD (the old one is shot!) and Video Card.
However if I attempt to start the machine with the new HDD connected I get the Packard Bell splash screen and it hangs there (even if the new one is made the slave). If I start with the old HDD connected I can get past the splash screen to the BIOS screen and plug in the new HDD and boot from the CD-ROM to install an OS. However when the machine restarts the same problem reoccurs and I cannot get the OS to run.
Is the BIOS configured in such a way that I cannot get past the splash screen or is there something I can do to disable the splash screen appearing?

Any help gratefully received thanks!

BD

amanoffewwords
18th Mar 2004, 15:12
There should be a setting in the BIOS to disable the splash screen - could be called a logo. You might also want to delete any reference to the existing HDD while you are there, to force the system to reset itself.

amofw

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Mar 2004, 18:19
BDiONU,

You now the only thing you have actually identified is the Pentium III and with that, not even which model of Pentium III (There are three of them - Katmai, Coppermine, Tualatin)

It is kind of like saying:

"My friend has a problem with his airplane. The plane has a propeller on it. What do you think is wrong with it?"

Take Care,

Richard

Saab Dastard
18th Mar 2004, 20:23
I remember that Compaq computers used to have the BIOS setup and configuration program installed on a small partition on the HDD rather than in EEPROM. Is it possible that the PB system is like that?

If so, can you create a setup boot diskette?

I'd be surprised, but you never know. Compaq "got real" about 6 years ago.

SD

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Mar 2004, 23:17
Saab Dastard,

Got to love those Dead End Computer Makers. :rolleyes:

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. I hope BRL does not get sucked in to buying a Dead End Comp. :eek:

BDiONU
19th Mar 2004, 08:33
My thanks to amofw! Yes there was an option in the BIOS to disable the splash screen. Got through into the BIOS screen directly then, Hoorah!! Next problem was that it wouldn't recognise an 80Gb HDD! Mutter mutter mutter! Anyway things are proceeding apace :-)

BD

amanoffewwords
19th Mar 2004, 09:19
You're welcome. I wonder if it doesn't recognise the new HDD due to its size - can't remember you could use when PIII came out but it probably wasn't 80GB !!!

You may need to upgrade the BIOS to a more current level. And that is sometimes easier said than done.

Good luck
amofw

Naples Air Center, Inc.
19th Mar 2004, 15:44
BDiONU,

If you give us the details of the motherboard or at least the full computer model from Packard Bell, we might be able to find you a BIOS Revision that addresses large drives and other fixes.

Just to be sure you have the IDE Cable with the red stripe pointing at the Hard Drive's Power Connector right? Also on the motherboard you have the red stripe in pin #1?

Take Care,

Richard

TR4A
19th Mar 2004, 17:29
You could run AIDA32. It will tell you what MB and BIOS you have.

AIDA32 (http://www.aida32.hu/aida32-download.php)

BDiONU
19th Mar 2004, 18:31
Thanks for the responses folks. I had my question relating to the splash screen answered and never expected such a response to try & help! Thank you all very much but the problem has been overcome and everything is working smoothly. Tons of brownie points for me, never a bad thing!

Cheers
BD!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
19th Mar 2004, 19:06
BDiONU,

That is great news! :ok:

Take Care,

Richard