PDA

View Full Version : Security at STN

NickE
18th Mar 2004, 13:02
I was a bit surprised a few months ago going through security checks at Stansted. Girl standing in front of me reaches the guy checking passports and says 'Oh, I've got the wrong passport, my friend's over there with mine', pointing vaguely towards one of the other queues. The full force of increased airport security leapt into action: 'Never mind' and he let her through.

Bit disturbing at the time, absolutely no way of knowing who she was or whatever - at least her boarding pass was for a different airline to me!

Globaliser
18th Mar 2004, 18:13
At which "security check" did this happen? I've never seen the X-ray machine/metal detector security people have the slightest interest in seeing whose passport you have. The gatekeeper to that area only wants to see a BP to make sure that you're a passenger.

Now that there's no longer any outbound passport control, checking identity/passport is for the airline at check-in and at the gate when boarding.

NickE
19th Mar 2004, 06:23
Yes, it was the one at the X-ray machines - but it begs the question, if they're not going to bother checking properly, why check at all? Anyone cynical might think it was all a cosmetic exercise.

Globaliser
19th Mar 2004, 11:06
The way I see it is that it's not their job to check passports against boarding passes. That's not just a "jobsworth" comment - they have an important job to do of screening the cabin baggage. I am very happy to let them concentrate on that, and not having to be distracted from the task at hand. There's absolutely no reason why the screening staff should have to check passports against boarding passes when the carrier (who has an interest in doing so) is going to do so at least once and maybe twice (check-in and boarding). Just because the screening staff do one aspect of "security" doesn't mean they have to do everything.

Musket90
19th Mar 2004, 14:51
It's the boarding pass security need to see, not the passport. Handling agent at check in deal with passport/ID before issuing the boarding pass and again at the gateroom before allowing you on the aircraft.

NickE
19th Mar 2004, 15:46
That's exactly my point - if they don't need to see it, if it's not their responsibility to see it, then why do they insist on you showing it?

Musket90
19th Mar 2004, 16:30
Dunno - human nature I suppose.
Perhaps it helps keep them vigilant as Security at airports, whilst being a vitally important part of flying, can be a very repetative task for those carrying it out. So if some security guards do it to relieve the monotony and therefore helping to maintain the high standards then fine.