PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent questions to ask flight training providers

Half a Mexican
18th Mar 2004, 12:10
Hi All,

I’m off to the Flyer professional flight training show next Saturday and I’m just making a general list of questions I intend to ask. They are:

1) How much does it cost?
2) What does that include?
3) What does that not include?
4) What are the costs of the extras?
5) What is the cost of additional training?
6) Can I speak with ex-students (privately)?

(I also understand that getting a “feel” for a particular school can be just as important any specific questions)

I’m sure that there are a lot of very relevant questions that have been omitted from the above basic list. So it would be great to have suggestions for additions to it, particularly from those who have been through the flight training system before.

Things like asking if students can sit in on other students IR training flights. Having never been through training I had no idea that this could be useful or was even possible.

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Cheers,

--
HaM:}

Send Clowns
18th Mar 2004, 13:25
Good list of questions there.

A few more suggestions (from an employee of an FTO):

* Can I visit on a normal school day (open days are good, but normal school days show more)?
* Can I spend a coffee/lunch break with current students?
* What is a normal / maximum groundschool class size?
* How many ground instructors do you have (i.e. how specialized are they)?
* Can I see your groundschool notes? Do you use those notes as the main reference in class?
* Where do I fly from for the tests?
* How many students per flight instructor is your maximum?

onehunga
18th Mar 2004, 13:36
When I was choosing a school for my PPL the one I ended up choosing stateside ("old" Britannia) provided a list of references from past students and their addresses. I sent a few mails to peeps that included work addresses so that there was more of a chance being legit and got good feedback which swung me.

Your questions are all good. My only suggestion would be to trawl through pprune using the search function and bone up on the types of costs (not necessarily the quantum as you will get this at the show) you would incur for whatever training you are going for eg: nav fees, accomodation, fuel for the car to get to the school, insurance surcharge, fuel charge.....(the list goes on and on and on).

That way when you ask the question "does it include everything" and Mr FTO says yes, you can then say "ah but does it include nav fees or whatever". You might be surprised to find that somewhere in the deepest darkest small print that it don't. The devil is always in the detail.

redsnail
18th Mar 2004, 15:19
Do you provide your students with a flight training syllabus?
How many students to instructors?
Can I change my instructor?
Can I keep the same instructor or will I get chopped and changed?
Do I have to pay a lump sum in advance?

Half a Mexican
20th Mar 2004, 10:53
Thanks for the feedback - I'll add those questions to my "list".

It would also be great you could let me know the reasons you chose the institution you trained at. What do you feel are the most important factors in choosing a school?

--
HaM :}

RowleyUK
20th Mar 2004, 18:04
Are there any additional costs besides the basic costs of training?
Are the exam fee's included in the price? - some schools do!
Can i have a discount?:= - Worth a try
What is the general condition of the A/C? - Poor planes means disruption
How long do they spend in maintenance? - No A/C no course
Are the instructors due to go on holiday? - it happens!
If doing an FI... ask if you can get a job with them when you finish...

And................... Does my bum look big in this?:E

Send Clowns
20th Mar 2004, 21:44
Rowley makes a good point - the "discount" question is well worthwhile, especially at an exhibition where schools often put on a special offer. However be wary of paying more than a deposit up front for a discount. I know many people who have lost thousands of pounds by paying at the beginning for a whole course just to save a little money, money they could have saved by shopping around.

Half a Mexican
22nd Mar 2004, 17:40
Discounts! Worth asking indeed. I'll remember that .

I also hear that it can be possible for students to use the sims solo for free. It it worth asking or are you likely to just polish bad habits?

--
Ham:}

Sensible
23rd Mar 2004, 12:41
Be careful of the discount for paying 100% upfront especially with stateside schools - if it don't work out you have a problem. The motivation to train you at some of the bad schools is to extract more money from you so if there is no more money to be extracted from you then they have lost their motivation!!

Once you have a shortlist of schools, try putting the name of the school in the search function of this forum, you will very soon see if the school is trustworthy. The extremely good and extremely bad schools have already been mostly identified by the people who have already gone through the school and posted on these forums. Sadly some only learn of PPRuNe after they have been through training so you are way in front of many of us!

PFO
23rd Mar 2004, 16:58
"Can I see you P&L accounts, balance sheet and mgt accounts"

PFO