PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Crossing of C172

Global Pilot
18th Mar 2004, 08:10
Has anyone got any information on a C172. It is flight planned to cross the Atlantic today from CYYT to EINN. Filed under NZ109J, not sure if this is a tail number or a call sign?

Any ideas?

Cookie1978
18th Mar 2004, 11:07
Whats the distance needed to be flown?

Hope there is a carrier or air- to air refueler availiable for him/her!

My extra range tanks on the c172 I fly have an endurance of 5 hours after the 45 mins fixed reserve. At a speed 105 kts... hope they make it!

Global Pilot
18th Mar 2004, 11:09
Thanks for reply. It was originally showing as NZ109J @0815Z and should have been N2 not NZ. According to FAA reg site this aircraft was issued a telp certificate 3 days with no fuel modification. hope the ferry tanks are in and this is a typo.

GP.

Cookie 1978. CYYT-EINN is approx 160nm. Did this trip myself in a PA32 about a year ago. 11hours (good tailwind) :eek:
Apart from the pilot and survival equipment the aircraft weight will be made up entirly of fuel and choclate bars. Hope the weather improves at EINN for him. 18hour TAF looks good. Night landings after 14hours flying can be hard work!

18th Mar 2004, 11:34
CYYT-EINN is approx 160nm. Did this trip myself in a PA32 about a year ago. 11hours (good tailwind)

160nm in 11hrs? Did you fly backwards? Probably meant 1600nm or something similar.

I flew a C172R once. Nice plane, and he/she should get a nice speed. Guess around 145-150kts ground speed. That little plane is going to be heavy though with all the extra fuel tanks going along.

the wizard of auz
18th Mar 2004, 11:51
I ferried a C172 from YPJT Western Australia to Manila, Philippines in 2002.
standard tanks 182ltrs and a couple of ferry tanks at 60ltrs each gave me 302ltrs @ 35ltrsph = 8.6hrs x 110knts (nil wind) 946nms
no reserves. didn't have any weight problems with two POB and a little bit of gear. (used 35ltrs to be a bit conservative, actaully burned 28ltrsph over the total trip).
had a ball doing it, but I don't envy a 1600 mile leg at all.

BRISTOLRE
18th Mar 2004, 14:36
Due into SNN 0005z/19MAR.
YEs, strong westerly winds are forecast on the north atlantic next couple of days.

JJflyer
18th Mar 2004, 16:51
Did a few trips myself some years ago. Smallest I eveer flew was a new Piper Archer to Honolulu. This was not my longest flight at 15 odd hours.
Longest trip was from Honolulu to Oakland, California (In the San Fransisco Bay Area) at 18 hours and 6 minutes.

Everytime I fly over the water now I look down on every flight thanking my lucky stars that I did not end up in the drink. Many of my friends did go swimming, some died some survived. I Stopped that nonsense afer 70 odd crossing on both Atlantic and Pacific.

Learned a lot about weather, fuel management and flying heavy airplanes to the limit of both aircraft and me as well as flight planning and all the stuff that goes with international flights. However ferrying aircraft is not fun when you do it for living and would not recommend it as a career. Unless one can only fly nice and new turbine twins or BIG jets.

Cheers

JJ

BritishGuy
6th May 2004, 08:22
As silly as it sounds, I'd give my first kid to do one LONG ferry flight. I am really wanting to do ferry flights for a bit....wouldn't mind.

StressFree
7th May 2004, 07:09
British,
You've got to be bloody mad.....

Crossing the North Atlantic (or any other ocean) in a single engine piston plane is sheer lunacy. I for one havn't got the balls to even consider it, I'm just not brave enough. The blokes who do this are amazing..........
I'll stick to my large jet.

:cool:

Miles Magister
10th May 2004, 11:09
If you want to know what it is really like, talk to some of the Mighty Hunter crews from RAF Deadloss. Over the years there have been quite a lot of long range search and rescue missions over the atlantic which never made it past the search phase!

Take the wings off and ship it.

Daysleeper
10th May 2004, 13:42
Take the wings off and ship it

which can be surprisingly cheap.

WorkingHard
10th May 2004, 19:34
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take the wings off and ship it

Used to do this out of NY to Felixstowe at around £800 per container. havent done one for 10 years or so may be a bit more expensive now.

JJflyer
11th May 2004, 19:57
I must have been mad:ugh: :} :E

George T
15th May 2004, 18:55
So what happend?????