PDA

View Full Version : Help - SMTP/MAIL address

TimS
17th Mar 2004, 19:19
Am at my father's abode and have accepted the East Midland's equivalent of the Labours of Hercules in trying to sort his much abused PC out !!

Problem 1 - He has a freeserve email address but recently switched to BT Broadband and therefore hasn't been able to send email (other than over web browser - once I have sorted his cookie problem) for a month or so.

Anyone know the SMTP/mail server address to use that permits pass through ??

PS - If you're reading this little brother no smart arse comments

Brgds

TimS:sad:

amanoffewwords
17th Mar 2004, 20:00
Have you tried switching on "my server requires authentication" for outgoing mail - this will require you to enter the username and password in the settings.

This works for claranet over BT broadband but they have a specific relay server to cater for that. It might work with freeserve too..

hth
amofw

ps: But if it doesn't work it will be because Freeserve is not a BT Broadband partner as explained here (http://btbroadband.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btbroadband.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=RYxx_z6h&p_lva=&p_faqid=677&p_created=1077388847&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTImcF9jYXRfbHZ sMT02OSZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPTEwNyZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=)

TimS
17th Mar 2004, 20:11
Tried it but to no avail - unfortunately the SMTP/mail address is still pointed at freeserve, it needs to be pointed at a BT point that will allow pass through but there is no paperwork available and I can't find anything on their site

Thanks anyway

amanoffewwords
17th Mar 2004, 20:15
BT Broadband does not provide email (smtp) facilities - so you (your Dad) will have to change the email account to one of those supported by BT.Bband. (see here (http://btbroadbandstart.bt.com/main.htm) (close the pop-up and look at email on the right).

Claranet is probably the only valiable option but they probably won't tell you to add the authentication bit as above (this is required however).

hth
amofw

TimS
17th Mar 2004, 20:20
Bastards - ah well have to migrate him !!

thanks for your help AMOFW

Brgds

TimS

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Mar 2004, 22:47
TimS,

If you have your own domain, then you could use it for your email pass though. Also you could not have to worry about changing Email Addys when you change ISPs.

Take Care,

Richard

TimS
18th Mar 2004, 19:59
Thanks Richard

I do (or at least the company does) but he doesn't - family pow-wow called to sort out the mess

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Mar 2004, 23:14
TimS,

Try the company mail server and see if it will let him send email, if not then it might be worth investing in a domain for your family, so everyone can have their own email and be able to send email from anywhere.

Take Care,

Richard

swh
19th Mar 2004, 05:51
TimS,

You will need to set the outgoing email server to the one of your ISP, ie mail.btinternet.com, and leave you incoming email server the same for freeserve.

Turn off authentication, they will authenticate you as being on their subnet, not based on a username, is only bt internet people on a bt dial-up or broadband could use this outgoing email server.

Have a look at http://www.btyahoo.com/faqs/manual_email_setup for pretty pictures and more details :)

In summary:
Outgoing email : use the bt internet server
Incoming : use the freeserve server

:ok:

amanoffewwords
19th Mar 2004, 06:44
As far as I know BT Yahoo (aka BT Internet, BT OpenWorld) is not the same as BT Broadband - the latter specifically does not provide email services so mail.btinternet.com should not work.

amofw

swh
19th Mar 2004, 08:33
amanoffewwords,

Thanks for pointing that out !

:ok:

spannersatcx
19th Mar 2004, 09:49
I went from NTL Dial Up to BT Broadband and had the same problem.

I'm at work at the moment so may not be 100% accurate on this, but,

Should be:

BT e-mail address
pop: bt's
smtp: bt's

freeserve e-mail address
pop: freeserve
smtp: bt's

gixerman
19th Mar 2004, 10:55
Spannersatcx is right. The reason it doesn't work now is for relaying reasons i.e. using someone else's mail server for spamming. Because you're no longer using FreeServe to connect to the net, their outbound server thinks your a foreigner trying to relay off their server and stops you. If you look at the error codes, you will see a 550 error. You can still pull the inbound mail from pop.freeserve.net, so no need to change the email address.

Saab Dastard
19th Mar 2004, 13:15
I went from Freeserve PAYG email to Blueyonder. I was able to do exactly what Spannersatcx suggests until Freeserve pulled the plug on my account - after about 3 months of not dialling in.

Fair enough, they aren't a charity, but it would have been nice to have had a warning.

How to convert a neutral customer into an enemy for life!

SD

TheFox
22nd Mar 2004, 01:13
Have you thought about setting up your own smtp server on your computer?

I use Postcast server http://www.postcastserver.com/ it is free.