PDA

View Full Version : Coming to the States

swamp monkey
17th Mar 2004, 11:58
Just wondering if there are any Ozzies out there who have been to the states recently and converted a licence?

Would like to come over and convert my ATPL but have been reading that type ratings are no longer possible to foreign pilots. Is this still the case and does this apply to licence conversion?

Any recommendations for the Washington/California area?

:ok:

chimbu warrior
17th Mar 2004, 20:58
Type ratings in the US are still possible.....................but a frustrating process is required to gain approval to do the training, as a consequence of the post-9/11 paranoia.

There is a very useful link on this forum regarding the approval process.

There has never been , to my knowledge, a straight "conversion" of an Aussie ATPL; it has always been a requirement to do the ATP written plus a flight test.

Good luck.

Aileron Roll
18th Mar 2004, 07:30
As you are no doubt aware the ATPL written is a breeze, just study the big red book !(in fact don't even study just review the questions !) Flight test should be no problem also !

When in the States if you visit your local FAA office you should find these people are VERY helpfull !

weasil
20th Mar 2004, 11:43
Don't wait til you get here to visit the FAA. Download the foreign pilot verification form posted in North America, and send it to the FSDO near where you want to train. As for the DOJ background checks, everybody says it's impossible but mine took one week exactly. The company faxed a form to the DOJ and got it back a week later and I started Indoc the next day. (i'm an ozzie). So I don't know what all the fuss is about.

If you are smart though you will combine a type rating with an ATP ride instead of doing two separate training courses and two separate checkrides.

And Chimbu

"post-9/11 paranoia"

you may not agree with the response but it certainly is not paranoia. 9-11 did actually happen and yes, they are out to get us.